Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? #8084435
02/23/24 02:02 PM
02/23/24 02:02 PM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline OP
trapper
KYBOY  Offline OP
trapper

East, Kentucky
Have yall noticed any difference between oil based, more thick liquid lures and paste or thicker lures like say a castor based beaver lure? What I mean is do you think that a paste-thicker lure lasts longer at a set than a thick liquid/oil lure? Curious as to what everyone thinks..

Deep in the heart of Appalachia....
Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8085189
02/24/24 01:04 PM
02/24/24 01:04 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I think people worry too much about consistency when they should be worrying more about the attraction. Any time you add anything to modify the texture that doesn't add attraction to the formulation your diluting the active ingredients. From my experience good fixatives play a more important role in odor durability than texture or consistency.

I only play with coyotes so no idea about the other critters but the question I'd find more relevant is how long do you need it to last?

Personally I've caught a coyote 82 or 83 days after luring or baiting and that was in a step down dirt that had been flooded at least twice in those 80 some days.I know of guys that have caught coyotes at sets that been under feet of snow for a 100 plus days then caught after all that snow melted off.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: Yes sir] #8085575
02/24/24 11:42 PM
02/24/24 11:42 PM
Alaska
M
milkcrate Offline
trapper
milkcrate  Offline
trapper
M

Alaska
Mr Yes Sir, can you please explain what a “fixative” is in a lure, bait, or urine? I have seen that word used in discussions related to the preparation all of those.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8085587
02/25/24 12:06 AM
02/25/24 12:06 AM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline OP
trapper
KYBOY  Offline OP
trapper

East, Kentucky
Its an ingrediant that stabilizes a lure. Say when your lure reaches the desired "Odor" you add the fixative to keep it that way..

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: milkcrate] #8085735
02/25/24 08:35 AM
02/25/24 08:35 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by milkcrate
Mr Yes Sir, can you please explain what a “fixative” is in a lure, bait, or urine? I have seen that word used in discussions related to the preparation all of those.

I'm no expert on the topic so if you want more understanding I'd suggest looking into the perfumers information. In the lure making world I've found the word fixative to have a pretty lose meaning from one person to the other. For me a fixative is an ingredient that helps another odor not fade as quick. It can also sometimes help give the odor more push/reach. Another quality of a good fixative is in a formulation it will help bind all the odors together allowing the more volital odors and less volital odors to disperse at a more even rate.
Some people will get preservatives and fixatives confused because the preservatives "stop" the aging process and that means in their minds it fixed the odor, but the two are not the same. A good example is for instance mink glands. They have a know quality of fading moderately quick over time. If fixed properly that fade can be greatly decreased to the point in a formulation or in a storage container they can smell very fresh many year's after being processed. A lot 0f stuff in the lure makers ingredients is considered fixatives by some and I suppose they may have some fixative natures to a degree or may work better with certain products as a fixative but there's some true fixatives that have some very great potential in fixing odors. I've only played a little bit with some of these real powerful fixatives so am definitely not all knowing in their use or potential but from what ive seen they can definitely effect the quality of a formulation when used properly.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8085799
02/25/24 10:46 AM
02/25/24 10:46 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
KY boy thanks for asking the question I didn't even know anything about.

Yes sir thanks for the great explanation. I'm learning all the time

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: Providence Farm] #8085810
02/25/24 11:00 AM
02/25/24 11:00 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Thank you but with all do respect, in my opinion, you aren't learning nothing by reading. Absolutely no disrespect to any one but by reading your only getting ideas put in your head. Until you start testing and seeing animals responses to these ideas you haven't learned anything. Theirs just as much poor information on the internet as there is good information. When you start putting ideas to the test you start seeing who knows what they are talking about and who is just regenerating ideas passed on enough they come across like fact.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: Yes sir] #8086027
02/25/24 03:48 PM
02/25/24 03:48 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Thank you but with all do respect, in my opinion, you aren't learning nothing by reading. Absolutely no disrespect to any one but by reading your only getting ideas put in your head. Until you start testing and seeing animals responses to these ideas you haven't learned anything. Theirs just as much poor information on the internet as there is good information. When you start putting ideas to the test you start seeing who knows what they are talking about and who is just regenerating ideas passed on enough they come across like fact.

In this case I'm learning. I had never heard of a fixative or even had the thought in my head. So I'm infact learning about there are things that can make smells stay stronger longer. Got to know what's out there before getting to carried away. Also if you see your smell is getting weak fast may quit working on something that works well when all it needed was something added to keep the smell smelling.

But I understand exactly what you meant. And your 100% correct knowledge without experience to back it up is weak and often a good way to fail.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8086102
02/25/24 05:58 PM
02/25/24 05:58 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Originally Posted by KYBOY
Have yall noticed any difference between oil based, more thick liquid lures and paste or thicker lures like say a castor based beaver lure? What I mean is do you think that a paste-thicker lure lasts longer at a set than a thick liquid/oil lure? Curious as to what everyone thinks..

Generally, I prefer the paste type lures. Thin runny lures are Messy to use. Unless you have them in a squeeze bottle! I do use both.
Most baits & lures will last pretty long, depending on the ingredients?
I would say the paste is going to out last the liquid?

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8086182
02/25/24 07:59 PM
02/25/24 07:59 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
This book has a wealth of information. Best lure/bait info I have seen. If you want to learn you have to experiment. Your going to need a big check book. My advice is dont buy any ingredients from the big trap supply houses. Not urine not castor not musk not fish oil. Traps and tools yes not bait/lure making stuff.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8086341
02/25/24 10:48 PM
02/25/24 10:48 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
I'm very new to this, but I agree with Yes sir and danny.

Last edited by white marlin; 02/25/24 10:51 PM.
Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8086560
02/26/24 10:04 AM
02/26/24 10:04 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I generally prefer pastes just for ease of use.

Don’t have to worry about leaky containers as much, most liquid lures have some solids that eventually plug a squirt cap that you than have to fight with in the field. And I do believe pastes generally outlast liquids.

Runnier stuff has grown on me for summer use though. I can soak a bit of liquid lure even just into the dirt and slap a trap in front of it. Bugs can’t run off with it, my summer sets are often extremely subtle, no holes, no bones, no nothing. Nothing to put paste “on” or “in” many times.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 02/26/24 10:05 AM.
Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: Boone Liane] #8087079
02/26/24 10:38 PM
02/26/24 10:38 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
I generally prefer pastes just for ease of use.

Don’t have to worry about leaky containers as much, most liquid lures have some solids that eventually plug a squirt cap that you than have to fight with in the field. And I do believe pastes generally outlast liquids.

Runnier stuff has grown on me for summer use though. I can soak a bit of liquid lure even just into the dirt and slap a trap in front of it. Bugs can’t run off with it, my summer sets are often extremely subtle, no holes, no bones, no nothing. Nothing to put paste “on” or “in” many times.

Rebaiting this morning with my 13 year old I was not paying attention to the bottle in my hand and put 1/4 oz of lure on my pants and boot toe. So good point.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: danny clifton] #8088114
02/28/24 11:57 AM
02/28/24 11:57 AM
Wyoming
E
E.J. Kelley Offline
trapper
E.J. Kelley  Offline
trapper
E

Wyoming
Originally Posted by danny clifton
This book has a wealth of information. Best lure/bait info I have seen. If you want to learn you have to experiment. Your going to need a big check book. My advice is dont buy any ingredients from the big trap supply houses. Not urine not castor not musk not fish oil. Traps and tools yes not bait/lure making stuff.

[Linked Image]

Where do you suggest buying ingredients?

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8088119
02/28/24 12:02 PM
02/28/24 12:02 PM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline OP
trapper
KYBOY  Offline OP
trapper

East, Kentucky
Id suggest buying them from someone who makes lures like JR Sons, Jameson's, Kaatz, Dobbins and so on, especially if its glands.. That said I do buy oils from MTP and they seem just as good as anyones..But Tim is a dang fine lure maker too so no surprise there

Last edited by KYBOY; 02/28/24 12:03 PM.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8088125
02/28/24 12:17 PM
02/28/24 12:17 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by KYBOY
Id suggest buying them from someone who makes lures like JR Sons, Jameson's, Kaatz, Dobbins and so on, especially if its glands.. That said I do buy oils from MTP and they seem just as good as anyones..But Tim is a dang fine lure maker too so no surprise there

All I'll say is there's a couple on that list I've bought from and that I'll never buy from again and a couple on there I wouldn't hesitate to buy from. One I've never tried.

Re: Difference in "stay" between paste-oil Lures? [Re: KYBOY] #8088505
02/28/24 09:11 PM
02/28/24 09:11 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep. Buyer beware. By glands from trappers. Froze fresh.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91