No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Good locations to set and not to set. #8080711
02/18/24 06:13 PM
02/18/24 06:13 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
So some places catch more than others each year. Some always catch things others seem hit and miss.

But out of all the traps out over the years only one location has caught bobcats. Now we have to let them go and we'll a cat is not like a coyote and I would just rather not catch them. So I think this spot just won't get set again. I have seek yotes there but never caught anything there but opossum and Bobcats. So probably best not to set there again. But what are the chances they will just get snaped in other coyote sets?

Last edited by Providence Farm; 02/18/24 07:11 PM.
Re: Good locations to set and not to set. [Re: Providence Farm] #8080724
02/18/24 06:35 PM
02/18/24 06:35 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
It seems bobcats run the same routes I have creeks I catch cats on but it’s a long creek with multiple sets along the way, Then I have another place I get a cat every year at never fail unless the weather keeps me out of the place. Had an old logging trail that was the same always good for a cat every season. All within a 30 yard radius.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Good locations to set and not to set. [Re: Law Dog] #8080739
02/18/24 07:02 PM
02/18/24 07:02 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Law Dog
It seems bobcats run the same routes I have creeks I catch cats on but it’s a long creek with multiple sets along the way, Then I have another place I get a cat every year at never fail unless the weather keeps me out of the place. Had an old logging trail that was the same always good for a cat every season. All within a 30 yard radius.

So it's just best to not set there again until we get a season if we ever do. I would rather not catch them but don't think it's avoidable when targeting coyote. Unless it's just avoid the traveled route. Sounds like I was on the right track with that line of thinking.

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. [Re: Providence Farm] #8080748
02/18/24 07:11 PM
02/18/24 07:11 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Cats are habitual creatures we have 2 house cats the Tom goes outside with me everyday and he follows the same route out the door including walking through the shop vac hose loop all I need is a conibear in the loop and that sums up cat behavior

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. [Re: Providence Farm] #8080754
02/18/24 07:22 PM
02/18/24 07:22 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Law Dog

So it's just best to not set there again until we get a season if we ever do. I would rather not catch them but don't think it's avoidable when targeting coyote. Unless it's just avoid the traveled route. Sounds like I was on the right track with that line of thinking.

I do everything to keep the yotes away from my cat areas with crowded areas, barrel cubbies close by trail cams. If I wanted yotes I’d move out to the open edges but I’ve caught a few cats out there in yote sets. Ya never know but thick cover here equals cats.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Good locations to set and not to set. [Re: Providence Farm] #8080770
02/18/24 07:34 PM
02/18/24 07:34 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Ya it's a grown up field set on a main run that come out of a woods and paths mowed around the edge. It gets cut once a year in stages . Before the first week of April or in July to avoid the fawns and leave some cover for rabbit and quail.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread