Home

Good locations to set and not to set.

Posted By: Providence Farm

Good locations to set and not to set. - 02/18/24 10:13 PM

So some places catch more than others each year. Some always catch things others seem hit and miss.

But out of all the traps out over the years only one location has caught bobcats. Now we have to let them go and we'll a cat is not like a coyote and I would just rather not catch them. So I think this spot just won't get set again. I have seek yotes there but never caught anything there but opossum and Bobcats. So probably best not to set there again. But what are the chances they will just get snaped in other coyote sets?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. - 02/18/24 10:35 PM

It seems bobcats run the same routes I have creeks I catch cats on but it’s a long creek with multiple sets along the way, Then I have another place I get a cat every year at never fail unless the weather keeps me out of the place. Had an old logging trail that was the same always good for a cat every season. All within a 30 yard radius.

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. - 02/18/24 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
It seems bobcats run the same routes I have creeks I catch cats on but it’s a long creek with multiple sets along the way, Then I have another place I get a cat every year at never fail unless the weather keeps me out of the place. Had an old logging trail that was the same always good for a cat every season. All within a 30 yard radius.

So it's just best to not set there again until we get a season if we ever do. I would rather not catch them but don't think it's avoidable when targeting coyote. Unless it's just avoid the traveled route. Sounds like I was on the right track with that line of thinking.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. - 02/18/24 11:11 PM

Cats are habitual creatures we have 2 house cats the Tom goes outside with me everyday and he follows the same route out the door including walking through the shop vac hose loop all I need is a conibear in the loop and that sums up cat behavior
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. - 02/18/24 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Law Dog

So it's just best to not set there again until we get a season if we ever do. I would rather not catch them but don't think it's avoidable when targeting coyote. Unless it's just avoid the traveled route. Sounds like I was on the right track with that line of thinking.

I do everything to keep the yotes away from my cat areas with crowded areas, barrel cubbies close by trail cams. If I wanted yotes I’d move out to the open edges but I’ve caught a few cats out there in yote sets. Ya never know but thick cover here equals cats.

Re: Good locations to set and not to set. - 02/18/24 11:34 PM

Ya it's a grown up field set on a main run that come out of a woods and paths mowed around the edge. It gets cut once a year in stages . Before the first week of April or in July to avoid the fawns and leave some cover for rabbit and quail.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums