No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8077107
02/14/24 07:07 PM
02/14/24 07:07 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Wolves should be hunted and traped till there no more!.

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: KeithC] #8077365
02/14/24 11:15 PM
02/14/24 11:15 PM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND
Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
What if a guy had a couple of those souped up Kangals and took them for a hike?

Wolves can't afford to get injured. If potential prey seems to dangerous, they leave it alone.

The largest wolf is only half the weight of a Kangal. Kangals weigh more than even dire wolves did. Kangals are much stronger and have much stronger bites than a wolf. My Kangal picks me up off the ground for fun, by spinning down between my legs and standing up. There's not many dogs that can pick up a large adult man.

Keith

It depends on just how hungry they are at the moment. They'll take on grizzly bears to drive them off a carcass. And your kangal is about 100 pounds overweight.

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: Guss] #8077382
02/14/24 11:27 PM
02/14/24 11:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Guss

Absolutely not they are a keystone species.Like beaver.
They are both extremely destructive when allowed to overpopulate.
And hugely beneficial when in balance.

Last edited by Boco; 02/14/24 11:30 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: Boco] #8077401
02/14/24 11:43 PM
02/14/24 11:43 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Boco

How are wolfs hugely beneficial when in balance ??

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8077414
02/14/24 11:56 PM
02/14/24 11:56 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Many years ago the Game department accidently dropped off four wolves they were relocating from another area down river about 30 miles. At the time we were overrun with wolves. The story was these 4 wolves were all killed by resident packs. Wolf packs have territories and many times other wolves are not welcome and are killed by the pack. Dogs are wolves. It would not surprise me that most dogs(domesticated wolves) the pack encounters will be killed for territorial reasons.

Who is John Galt?
Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8077419
02/15/24 12:01 AM
02/15/24 12:01 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Steeltraps,they provide lots of food for the smaller more valuable furbearers that scavenge off the wolf kills,especially important in late winter when the carrying capacity of the land is set.Also extremely important they keep ungulates in check so they dont overpopulate and degrade their own habitat from overpopulation.
You get the long term boom and bust cycles ,which are extremely negative for biodiversity on the land when man is removed from his natural role in the web.

Last edited by Boco; 02/15/24 12:07 AM.

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: Boco] #8077426
02/15/24 12:14 AM
02/15/24 12:14 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho

We did quite well without them for a hundred years. I love trapping wolves, but I would love it even more if there were no wolves in the lower 48 again.

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8077442
02/15/24 12:28 AM
02/15/24 12:28 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You will have a lot healthier traplines with wolves on the landscape,as long as you are allowed to manage them.My lines produce maximum fur returns when wolves are managed at minimum sustainable numbers.Keeps the line healthy and also keeps the wolves that are there healthy also.
The trappers here that maintain large beaver quotas know how to manage their wolf populations.
Its not the easiest thing to do but necessary if you want a healthy trapline.

Last edited by Boco; 02/15/24 12:29 AM.

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8077844
02/15/24 11:26 AM
02/15/24 11:26 AM
Near Gardiner MT
E
Elkguy Offline
trapper
Elkguy  Offline
trapper
E

Near Gardiner MT
The environmental extremists and their lawyers make keeping wolves at their minimal sustainable numbers impossible around here. The coyote and bobcat trapping has gone to pot here since the wolves were introduced. I see wolf tracks on the roads around here every day and see wolves at least once a week but can’t do anything about it. I’d rather have none. This was a sportsman’s paradise pre wolf, now it’s one of the worst hunting areas in the state.

CBCS
Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8077848
02/15/24 11:37 AM
02/15/24 11:37 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Saw an article today that claims NYS should have a thriving wolf population, there's no end to this

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: Boco] #8077984
02/15/24 02:36 PM
02/15/24 02:36 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Steeltraps,they provide lots of food for the smaller more valuable furbearers that scavenge off the wolf kills,especially important in late winter when the carrying capacity of the land is set.Also extremely important they keep ungulates in check so they dont overpopulate and degrade their own habitat from overpopulation.
You get the long term boom and bust cycles ,which are extremely negative for biodiversity on the land when man is removed from his natural role in the web.

I doubt every environment benefits from a population of wolves. In a lot of the lower 48 the ungulate population can be managed quite well without wolves

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8078037
02/15/24 04:11 PM
02/15/24 04:11 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
We tend to look at one side of the ecological issue. We spend a lot of time, resources and debate on working to manage prey/predator relationships. There is merit in doing that but we many times forget that predator numbers and expansion are more based on prey numbers while prey numbers relate way more to habitat. I don't know the differences in how boreal forests ecosystems succeed or tundra but I live in a very diverse area where the southern deciduous forest ecosystem meets the northern deciduous/pin ecoystem and our ecosystems are continually changing and some times very rapidly. I tend to agree that in our area of high diversity we can manage prey numbers and predators because most of the land area is quite heavily populated and managed for rotation. What many forget is that habitat in areas like northern WI have matured significantly over the last two generations. much of the second growth timber in northern WI is now about 100 years old and unless managed or routinely logged etc. it is way past its prey carrying capacity prime. During that time we have seen a significant predator population expansion, with bears, bobcats, wolves and now coyotes again learning to live with the larger canines. We may have passed our critical mass numbers for say deer in much of that area. All those species mentioned are becoming much more used to humans and human activity and thus have moved to the areas where humans maintain a diversity of land useage that draws prey and thus predators. The prey carrying capacity in the lower 2/3ds of WI is probably twice per acre that it is in the north. Which means we can and do have high prey numbers which over time are attracting predators. When we get bears and wolves living in our large wildlife areas like the Sheboygan Marsh, Kill Snake, Collins, Coburn, the major river lowlands we won't be able to remove them easily if at all.
I don't feel we need to eliminate wolves but by putting harvest seasons on them we change their behavior just by doing so. We also then need lethal dispatch on depredation animals. I hope we can get a season for wolves that would last say 5- 7 years, regardless of the quota numbers so we can get a lot more accurate count of numbers, numbers of pack, distribution and new areas of growth. Whether we like it or not we need data from the science and research segment of our DNR and we need to fund that so that those numbers can be used by the NRB board and our political and administrative sectors.

Bryce

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: bblwi] #8078074
02/15/24 05:12 PM
02/15/24 05:12 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by bblwi
We tend to look at one side of the ecological issue. We spend a lot of time, resources and debate on working to manage prey/predator relationships. There is merit in doing that but we many times forget that predator numbers and expansion are more based on prey numbers while prey numbers relate way more to habitat. I don't know the differences in how boreal forests ecosystems succeed or tundra but I live in a very diverse area where the southern deciduous forest ecosystem meets the northern deciduous/pin ecoystem and our ecosystems are continually changing and some times very rapidly. I tend to agree that in our area of high diversity we can manage prey numbers and predators because most of the land area is quite heavily populated and managed for rotation. What many forget is that habitat in areas like northern WI have matured significantly over the last two generations. much of the second growth timber in northern WI is now about 100 years old and unless managed or routinely logged etc. it is way past its prey carrying capacity prime. During that time we have seen a significant predator population expansion, with bears, bobcats, wolves and now coyotes again learning to live with the larger canines. We may have passed our critical mass numbers for say deer in much of that area. All those species mentioned are becoming much more used to humans and human activity and thus have moved to the areas where humans maintain a diversity of land useage that draws prey and thus predators. The prey carrying capacity in the lower 2/3ds of WI is probably twice per acre that it is in the north. Which means we can and do have high prey numbers which over time are attracting predators. When we get bears and wolves living in our large wildlife areas like the Sheboygan Marsh, Kill Snake, Collins, Coburn, the major river lowlands we won't be able to remove them easily if at all.
I don't feel we need to eliminate wolves but by putting harvest seasons on them we change their behavior just by doing so. We also then need lethal dispatch on depredation animals. I hope we can get a season for wolves that would last say 5- 7 years, regardless of the quota numbers so we can get a lot more accurate count of numbers, numbers of pack, distribution and new areas of growth. Whether we like it or not we need data from the science and research segment of our DNR and we need to fund that so that those numbers can be used by the NRB board and our political and administrative sectors.

Bryce

a great quote using logic and common sense vs the typical "kill them all" posts.

a couple of points here

As far as we don't need wolves to manage prey because man can do it. While partially true the trouble is man isn't managing prey right now. I live in the southern 1/2 of the state. Lots of deer, lots of private land, very little public land and most of the private is off limits to hunting. This plus what ever other factors there might result in there are too many deer. There is no desire to get the herd to a sustainable level in line with the environment. Even if there was it would take drastic changes in how they are managed to make it happen around here.

To Boco's point that wolves are beneficial to the environment. He's absolutely right.
Food is plentiful most times of the year with lots of farm fields around, but come late winter thru early summer when all this crop land is nothing but snow or bare dirt there is very high pressure to browse anything and everything else. The deer here negatively effect the environment. White Oak saplings are exceedingly rare, pretty much nonexistent. Poor management of the forests plus deer make it impossible for one to survive. White Oaks aren't the only thing that can't regenerate due to the browse pressure. Many other native plants are becoming rare. I see it every year in my woods, plants will come up for several years, get browsed every year and then eventually disappear. Trillium is a good example. I have some in my woods, the only ones that last are ones in blackberry patches where the deer don't venture. Solomons Seal, Bellwort and other forbs will last for a short while till the deer find them then are gone to never come back. Its sad that most "sportsmen" or "conservationists" only care about what they hunt/trap and not the rest of the natural world.

Wolves are here to stay, might as well face it whether you like it or not. How far they will spread is the question. If they aren't hunted or trapped they will continue to spread. There is alot of food for them in the southern 1/2 of the state. Unfortunately they will become less and less afraid of man over time until they are hunted or trapped again. Can you imagine wolves walking around the suburbs at night like you see coyotes doing now.

As far dogs and wolves, again, like Bernie mentions, if you live in wolf country allowing your dogs to run is a risk.

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: Dirty D] #8078140
02/15/24 06:43 PM
02/15/24 06:43 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
We have the ability to manage prey species we have chosen not to do so or we manage the numbers for goals that may not be the most applicable for the habitat when considering biological carrying capacity versus social carrying capacity. There is a considerable difference in those two and it is also very species dependent as to numbers etc. I think one of the issues about why we are not managing the landscape better or at all is that we may not even know what our goals are and "if you don't know where you are going any road you take will get yout there"

Bryce

Re: wolves VS dogs [Re: BernieB.] #8080442
02/18/24 11:46 AM
02/18/24 11:46 AM
Near Gardiner MT
E
Elkguy Offline
trapper
Elkguy  Offline
trapper
E

Near Gardiner MT
There’s plenty of photos and videos of wolves and grizzly bears walking right through the middle of town here. No fear whatsoever. It’s just not natural.

CBCS
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread