No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044439
01/09/24 10:12 AM
01/09/24 10:12 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Online content
trapper
Bear Tracker  Online Content
trapper
B

Wisconsin
I carry a pocket compass and have one on my phone I use way more often. Crazy how young people can't tell directions. We got into a disagreement at the cabin on the direction a deer was shot years ago. Went out put the compass on it, I was right, even a nephew went home and double-checked it, I was right. Makes me shake my head.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: Bear Tracker] #8044465
01/09/24 10:50 AM
01/09/24 10:50 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
I carry a pocket compass and have one on my phone I use way more often. Crazy how young people can't tell directions. We got into a disagreement at the cabin on the direction a deer was shot years ago. Went out put the compass on it, I was right, even a nephew went home and double-checked it, I was right. Makes me shake my head.

yeah , I give directions like go west on F take that to OK continue west on OK and the landfill is on the north side of the road

I will hear is that right or left? and I shake my head.

at our deer camp if we couldn't point a simple compass direction my great uncle would have taken us out for a lesson on which way was north then hang our compass around our neck and point several times a day in a direction meaning you tell him what direction that is
he was a commercial fisherman and tug captain for barges and harbor work on the great lakes.
we also were corrected if we said toss me a rope , probably be something like "hey cowboy where's your horse ?"
it was a line , you are on the water , near the water , surrounded by water , it was a line , if you went out west roping horses then I guess it could be a rope.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044476
01/09/24 11:01 AM
01/09/24 11:01 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Our new instant everything society wants answers to what ever comes along They don't have time to learn how or why Just give them the answer to the problem Some time ago on another forum a poster had just gotten a new weather app for his phone And now his question was if the app showed the wind direction to be SW Did that mean the wind was blowing TO that direction or was it blowing from that direction .Bob Dylan explained it a long time ago "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows If you are outside with your new weather ap phone and still are not sure of the wind direction you might be safer to go inside and stay there In our early days we where taught to learn the needed skills to become an outdoorsman And it was a life time learning process To be called a wooodsman or as Don Schumacher a well known outdoor trapping writer referred to it a woodsbum was a title that was sought after and was a complement So for all that still like to use a compass more power to you Skills enable you to be better at whatever you do

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044479
01/09/24 11:05 AM
01/09/24 11:05 AM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
Impossible to get lost while using the Silva Ranger. Open it up and you’re also right there in the mirror.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044504
01/09/24 11:34 AM
01/09/24 11:34 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I have several of different kinds. They work great if I can only convince myself to believe them. Amazing how I can get turned around in short order.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044524
01/09/24 12:04 PM
01/09/24 12:04 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
How many know how to use an astrolabe?
All the great explorere and cartographers Like Cartier used the astrolabe since there were no maps of that country.Those guys made the maps.
I would say not many people know how to use an astrolabe.

Last edited by Boco; 01/09/24 12:19 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: Bear Tracker] #8044533
01/09/24 12:14 PM
01/09/24 12:14 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I remember on a dual survivor episode the comment was made that without a visual bearing you tend walk in a circle towards your dominant hand and I do believe it, if I’m walking though an alfalfa field looking down trying to find something I tend to go to my right. I remember in high school we had basic compass training we didn’t really work with a map but the good thing it taught us was to use the compass to walk in a straight line and at least here in Iowa you will eventually come to a road.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: MnMan] #8044534
01/09/24 12:15 PM
01/09/24 12:15 PM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
Originally Posted by MnMan
I have several of different kinds. They work great if I can only convince myself to believe them. Amazing how I can get turned around in short order.

That's the problem with looking down for too long. Its like nailing one foot to the ground...lol

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044569
01/09/24 01:00 PM
01/09/24 01:00 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I always carry a compass in the deep woods although it has become increasingly difficult to keep one handy and protected from magnetic sources. A couple of years ago I found my compass had reversed polarity. I had carried it in a backpack pocket with my glasses that were in a case with a magnetic closure.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: backroadsarcher] #8044682
01/09/24 03:35 PM
01/09/24 03:35 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by SYR Trapper
Wont be in the woods without one

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Nope carry one in my hunting pack all the time

I have my ol' man's all brass GI Compass from WW2, he carried all over the Pacific theater. Works just fine.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: BigBob] #8044685
01/09/24 03:41 PM
01/09/24 03:41 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by BigBob

I have my ol' man's all brass GI Compass from WW2, he carried all over the Pacific theater. Works just fine.

I don't think I would take that out in the woods

I am fairly certain I have lost more compasses than I ever had go bad or break.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044688
01/09/24 03:44 PM
01/09/24 03:44 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
You need the find my compass app grin

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044715
01/09/24 04:36 PM
01/09/24 04:36 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Especially useful early morning fog bound runs on the river. And you best know your river well if venturing out there with compass and fog lights.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044720
01/09/24 04:42 PM
01/09/24 04:42 PM
N.Y.,E. Adks
TRADER TUT Offline
trapper
TRADER TUT  Offline
trapper

N.Y.,E. Adks
ALL GOOD ADVICE above..... Just like knives ==== 1 is none, 2 is 1, etc..... Never have been Lost...Just confused for Awhile..........Noteworthy, Here in the Adirondacks lots of Iron Ore deposits in the ground. Tut

I Farm The Forest
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: TRADER TUT] #8044722
01/09/24 04:44 PM
01/09/24 04:44 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by TRADER TUT
Noteworthy, Here in the Adirondacks lots of Iron Ore deposits in the ground. Tut

and old abandoned pipelines (low pressure) can jack things up.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8044754
01/09/24 05:24 PM
01/09/24 05:24 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
ok....educate me.

The most lost I have ever been was because I TRIED to use a compass.
I was hunting and digging ginseng in southern Il. in an area I was not familiar with. When I left my truck I took the bearings, I was headed south east. After few hours I wanted to head back to my truck. Looked at the compass to decide for sure which way to head back. What that thing told me was backwards from what I thought I needed to go. But, I decided it was smarter than me so I took off in what it was saying was north west. Several miles later I come out on a road. A road I knew I shouldn't be anywhere near. I was eight miles from my truck and it was getting late.
I headed back once again and did find my truck. Long after dark. I threw that compass as far as I could throw it and have never carried one since. I have not gotten lost since either.

I would love to know how to use one, I would love to be able to trust them. But what I was told by some is that in at least that part of the state the iron ore pits make them useless.

Did I have the wrong type of compass, or do the iron pits make them unreliable?

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: il.trapper] #8045059
01/09/24 11:40 PM
01/09/24 11:40 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by il.trapper
ok....educate me.

The most lost I have ever been was because I TRIED to use a compass.
I was hunting and digging ginseng in southern Il. in an area I was not familiar with. When I left my truck I took the bearings, I was headed south east. After few hours I wanted to head back to my truck. Looked at the compass to decide for sure which way to head back. What that thing told me was backwards from what I thought I needed to go. But, I decided it was smarter than me so I took off in what it was saying was north west. Several miles later I come out on a road. A road I knew I shouldn't be anywhere near. I was eight miles from my truck and it was getting late.
I headed back once again and did find my truck. Long after dark. I threw that compass as far as I could throw it and have never carried one since. I have not gotten lost since either.

I would love to know how to use one, I would love to be able to trust them. But what I was told by some is that in at least that part of the state the iron ore pits make them useless.

Did I have the wrong type of compass, or do the iron pits make them unreliable?

the time to test and practice with a compass isn't the first time you go deep in the woods.

driving around , walking around where you know which way is north
driving around your area you could get a good idea of if it is effected by the iron ore in the area. the roads around your ginseng spot if the compass points true driving on them then you should be good

in an open field , parking lot , park . make a mark , place a rock , a stick , something.
make it interesting put a dollar under the rock
the goal is to make the marker not easily visible so you don't just walk back to it
stand over your marker
look in a direction it doesn't matter , the arrow on the base of the compass needs to point that direction, the compass stays level ,without moving hold your compass turn the dial until the "red is in the shed" meaning the red end of the needle is in the designation indicating north now sighting over the compass in the direction you choose look for a target to walk to like a tree in line with your arrow , walk 50 paces strait at your target and stop , now what ever number shows at the arrow for your direction of travel add 120 to it and dial it in

say I started at 20* and walked 50 paces I would turn the dial to 140* then walk 50 paces then turn the dial to 260*. turn my body each time after dialing in the additional 120 till the red is in the shed then walk 50 paces

the red stays in the shed all the while I am walking and sighting at the target

if you come back and you are easily able to pick up your marker , you did it right

if you can do that several times then you should be able to take your bearing headed in at the road and add 180 to it to come back out

practice it to know how it works before you need it to work.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8045070
01/09/24 11:47 PM
01/09/24 11:47 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
You can buy old compasses cheaply at auction, but buyer beware. I recently looked at a picture of 14 compasses for sale in one lot, on an online auction and 5 different directions were shown as North.

Keith

Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8045076
01/10/24 12:00 AM
01/10/24 12:00 AM
Oregon 66
bfflobo Offline
trapper
bfflobo  Offline
trapper

Oregon 66
Silva Ranger used here.
Use a GPS also to mark trap locations with written notes. Just in case I tip over. Someone will be able to pick them up.

Last edited by bfflobo; 01/10/24 12:04 AM.

Clean traps,tight lines,straight shooting
http://i.imgur.com/3sawxE9m.jpg
Re: am I the last person using a compass? [Re: il.trapper] #8045476
01/10/24 03:50 PM
01/10/24 03:50 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by il.trapper
ok....educate me.

here is a good very simple video

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread