Home

am I the last person using a compass?

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 10:52 PM

I really don't think I can be ....

but I feel like it some times

at deer camp I lent out my spare compass
which got me thinking I am down to 2 and one has a bubble and my sons has a large bubble so as I have been in and out of stores I have looked for another compass .
if I find anything at all it is basically junk
my first test is shake it and spin around in a circle it has 3 maybe 4 seconds to settle out this is where most everything on the shelf fails.
next it has to actually point north with my known good compass.

If I could find some good enough cheap compasses I would buy them and give them out to any new kids at deer camp.
had 2 this year both cousins kids neither had a compass.

where we hunt we don't do near as many drives as we used to and things aren't near as thick as they used to be. I can actually walk easily in many of the old drives where we had to crawl for sections before.

Saturday grouse hunting had my compass out a lot and my second loaned to my friend who had forgotten his .

much of what we covered Saturday looked like this with some of it thicker and in every direction if looked the same, heavy cloud cover couldn't see sun any where it was just not dark couldn't see anything up no towers or anything.

[Linked Image]
I had a good time and can see hunting this being a regular thing.
so it is time to replace my compasses with big air bubbles

I used to have more compasses I suspect I loaned them out and didn't get them back

[Linked Image]

I am thinking this https://www.amazon.com/Brunton-TruA...n&qid=1704751572&sr=8-3&th=1

I have had silvas in the past it used to be what was in every sporting goods store.

the other one I was looking at was a Suunto it has illuminated dials for use at night not that I do much night work but for a few dollars more maybe
https://www.amazon.com/SUUNTO-A-30-NH-Metric-Compass/dp/B000JL2CAG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

maybe some of you know of a compass I am not seeing and where it is available

I see all sorts of cheap compasses on amazon 6-12 dollars I keep seeing a bunch of reviews that are like "it works" then some one who seems to actually know how to use a compass posts a picture and they have 3-4 compasses in it and the cheapo isn't pointing north or the needle color is backwards red is the standard for north some sort of give away in the labeling of the base plate is nice to let you know also.

maybe it is just that some % are not good , but and compare them to a known good an see it points correct.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 10:55 PM

nope you are not alone whistle
Posted By: HayDay

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:05 PM

You carry a topo map to go with it?
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:08 PM

I always carry one. Just recently I got my phone wet enough to the point it malfunctioned. Without the compass, it could have been "interesting". A lot of thick country around here.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:19 PM

Have 1 in Tacoma at all times. Also 1 on my Can Am. Setting traps for a SW wind ain’t easy. When everything looks the same
Posted By: Vinke

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:21 PM

Are we using true or magnetic?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:21 PM

Topo and compass is how I've always navigated while walking and boating (with a map of the lake).

Within the last year I have started using Google Maps on my phone while hunting a new to me game land near home. I don't get a good enough signal to do that up at camp.
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:22 PM

I have a really cool one. But no one ever taught me how to use it! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Osky

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:23 PM

Love em. Great feeling having one along.
I have two of the better Silva compasses, my two Eagle Scout sons seem to have found more need for them than me. I have a “get by” compass I carry, just have to remember to look for a new Silva for myself.

Back in the day used to see all kinds attached in different ways to gun stocks. I have a few on guns still, remember those?

Osky
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:24 PM

I keep one in my truck,,my boat,,my deer hunting pack and in my small game hunting vest.If Im in the woods,,I have a compass with me and know how to use it.I also have several means of fire starting with me also.
Posted By: SYR Trapper

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:25 PM

Wont be in the woods without one
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:29 PM

I use OnX for everything but with that said- I still have a bubble compass on my vest and my trusty Silva in my tracking bag. I’m not relying on battery life or cell service if I’m lacking either.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:30 PM

Nope carry one in my hunting pack all the time

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I keep one in my truck,,my boat,,my deer hunting pack and in my small game hunting vest.If Im in the woods,,I have a compass with me and know how to use it.I also have several means of fire starting with me also.

I’d forgotten the small one in my fishing gear I’ve used when guiding. Particularly good in heavy rains out on the water.
Good reminder Up….

Osky
Posted By: Zim

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:31 PM

I have one in my work truck, personal truck, wife's truck, boat, hunting vest, fanny pack, a couple in my outdoor stuff and probably a couple more that I don't remember where they are at. All Silva Rangers or Suunto quadrants. I really like the Silva Rangers as you can set the magnetic declination in them. Not a factor here in Wisconsin but very useful elsewhere. The new Silvas are made in China, not Sweden like the originals. I do not own any of them so can't speak for their quality.

Zim
Posted By: Vinke

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:31 PM

Magnetic will drive a sane man to drink
( my excuse and sticking to it)
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:32 PM

Never used one my sense of direction has been pretty good but in most places you’ll hit a road even in the high country.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
I have two of the better Silva compasses, my two Eagle Scout sons seem to have found more need for them than me. I have a “get by” compass I carry, just have to remember to look for a new Silva for myself.

Back in the day used to see all kinds attached in different ways to gun stocks. I have a few on guns still, remember those?

Osky

Wouldn't the steel in the barrel and receiver effect the compass?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:35 PM

Sure are nice coon hunting in the dark with dogs. Clouds or fog and you can get turned around easy. Dont need to complicate things. Have a look at your compass before walking in. Then have a look to walk out. Even with a topo map unless you constantly check your bearing, count steps, in thick cover it wont help much, if you dont go in a straight line. If you cant see anything to take a bearing on you still dont know where you are.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:39 PM

I use them when hunting large tracks and new areas. Like you said with cloud cover and places that look the same I found especially bottom land they come in handy. Especially in the dark. Twice this year I was sure the direction I was going. Untill I checked compass. Even then I thought it was not right becuse I" knew" the way I had come. And needed to go. Yep the compass was right and I was glad to have it. Saved me a very long walk I avoided.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by elsmasho82
I have a really cool one. But no one ever taught me how to use it! [Linked Image]

Some helpful information on the web. Probably can even find a good youtube video to help in learning how to use it.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:46 PM

I carry 2 everytime I go in the woods.

The new silvas are junk. Mine had a huge bubble after 1 season, not the quality of the old swedish made ones. The 2 that I like are the suunto mc2g and cammenga lensatic. The suunto is a great map/sighting compass. It can also be had with a non global needle that is a little less expensive. The cammenga is a nice heavy duty sighting compass with no liquid to worry about bubbles and locks the needle when closed. I believe they are still the current military compass supplier.

Brunton makes some nice compasses but their declination adjustment is a pain. If that's not an issue they are a good option.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:53 PM

just bought this one last Fall...

https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Products/Compasses/Suunto-KB-14/Suunto-KB-14360R1/
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:54 PM

Be expert with map and compass book by Bjorn kelstrom is worth reading or you tube like someone else mentioned. Imo Using a compass is an essential skill if you spend much time in the field.

Your compass looks a lot like a cammenga. If it is there is no better lensatic out there imo.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/08/24 11:58 PM

I use one, along with a paper map, when backpacking. I meet a lot of people on trail to hat are using some sort of app on their phone. I wonder what they do when their battery dies or they drop it in water.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:03 AM

Some essentials when heading out to hunt or scout in some unfamiliar ground or trekking into big woods or bottom areas. A compass, bottle of water, lighter and some folded heavy duty blue paper shop towels folded into a pint zip lock baggie. The towels serve two purposes.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

Wouldn't the steel in the barrel and receiver effect the compass?

I just looked and I have two first year Remington 721’s that have compasses in the wood stock. They both read pretty tru standing in the gun room. Not very scientific I know but that’s all I can say?

Osky
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:04 AM

No, your not the last. Trick is finding a compass that actually works.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
No, your not the last. Trick is finding a compass that actually works.

The Suunto I linked to earlier works great! It's the one I used throughout my outdoors career.

a little spendy, but they make a cheaper plastic version, too...

https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Products/Compasses/Suunto-KB-20/Suunto-KB-20360RG/
Posted By: Black dogs

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:14 AM

Check out marble compass. Cute little guy for a quick pocket check. I believe it’s the brand Teddy Roosevelt used when he was on his expeditions. Kinda cool
Posted By: thgreenwing

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:15 AM

160user has one on his pajamas that he uses to find his way to the potty in the middle of the night.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:18 AM

I use a brass pin on compass from Tru-Nord
out of Minnesota.Its real brass,like the old Marbles pin on before Marbles got bought out and went chinese
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:20 AM

Absolutely not! I will not go into the woods without one. I realize cellphones have a compass but a lot of the places I go do not get reception. There is no way I would walk into a spot without a real compass.
Daylight is one thing but nighttime is a whole new ballgame!
Posted By: newfox1

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:26 AM

I pin my compass inside my jacket pocket, you lose a lot less that way.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:30 AM

Silva compass here

WS
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:35 AM

Nope also a Silva compass here also
Posted By: waggler

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:41 AM

I always carry one in my boats. In the event the fog rolls in and your electrical navigation systems fail, it very well could be the difference between life and death.
Posted By: Boco

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:41 AM

I learned orienteering in public school.then I became proficient using those skills when I worked as a timber cruiser for a couple summers in High school.
If you want to go several miles into the bush to a place and come back out where you went in you better know how to use a map and compass.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:51 AM

Here's a link on using a lensmatic ( military, engineer's) compass:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...pr=3#kpvalbx=_UpacZdWXLMOaptQP_-G64Ao_32
Posted By: OKforester

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:52 AM

I used one and a topo map every day for years cruising timber and flagging property lines for logging, wouldn’t attempt to do a job without it. About the on time I use one now is for triangulating smoke to get a location on a fire. Never had to use one hunting and I hunt new ground almost every year. My sense of direction is pretty good.
Posted By: dmac

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scott__aR

Here's a link on using a lensmatic ( military, engineer's) compass:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...pr=3#kpvalbx=_UpacZdWXLMOaptQP_-G64Ao_32

Thank you for sharing this.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:58 AM

I have been using gps for years but still always carry a compass -- whenever you actually need technology to work for you is when it won't.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 02:02 AM

Absolutely use one. Heck, my wife just got herself one today.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 03:22 AM

I used to do very well on compass courses in scouts

I have always had Silva but have had 3 with bubbles now , I get a good number of years but you know I want more years.

I like to carry 2 , I end up loaning my second out , I haven't ever needed it myself

I carry my primary on a string around my neck backup in a zippered pocket it has a string also

batteries seem to be my nemesis

I wear a watch I know another relic, start at a road go east 45 then north 45 and west 45 or something to that effect then 45 south back along the road and it is time for lunch at the truck

watch the time going in towards sunset , having looked at the season close chart and plan to be out a half hour before close.
go in from the road for about half the time then move over a couple hundred yards and head back to the road

I carry a GPS , I have 2 spare sets of batteries in a ziplock bag in a zippered pocket
I have my head lamp with batteries I should have a spare set .

if I am trying to walk parallels to someone we try and keep a pace and wait to get back together any time we can see each other. chasing after that hare I shot I got a bit turned around , I knew we had been heading north but I had no idea where my hunting partner was so I just yelled where are you , he yelled back over here then I had a direction.

I might go 50 yards look at my compass then 50 more when it is that thick and everything looks the same you can get turned easily.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 03:51 AM

If I had to reduce my library to 10 books, “Be expert with Map and Compass” would most likely be on the short list.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin

that looks like a very nice compass for shooting property lines or sighting a bearing on something far away

when I use a compass the most I can see about as far as my shotgun pattern is useful.

I find my most used compass is actually the simple little silva Polaris which they don't make anymore

I think I am going to get the suunto 30 because it has the little night dots and otherwise looks like a simple enough basic design.

I am glad to hear it is a good brand.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 04:18 AM

I keep one in my get home bags. I probably have 3 or 4. I need to use them more often but not much need around home. I’m always home seems like
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I learned orienteering in public school.then I became proficient using those skills when I worked as a timber cruiser for a couple summers in High school.
If you want to go several miles into the bush to a place and come back out where you went in you better know how to use a map and compass.

I don’t use a map for a mere couple miles….but you can be sure I I use a compass…otherwise it will be more than a couple miles!! Snow helps too😀
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 06:03 AM

This was my compass of choice. Hand Bearing Compass

[Linked Image]
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 07:01 AM

You’re NOT alone!

I teach a survival course here in Montana and map reading/compass use is high on the agenda. Students learn quickly that they can find themselves on a map even when they had no idea where they were. A compass alone is a valuable piece of gear. A compass with a map is a real life saver.

Suunto makes fantastic compasses. There’s no need for the big and bulky aluminum frames, most notably a Cammenga. I have a few and they’re just large and heavy. A baseplate compass is a great tool.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 07:03 AM

The Suunto MC-2 is what I recommend

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
that looks like a very nice compass for shooting property lines or sighting a bearing on something far away

when I use a compass the most I can see about as far as my shotgun pattern is useful.

I find my most used compass is actually the simple little silva Polaris which they don't make anymore

I think I am going to get the suunto 30 because it has the little night dots and otherwise looks like a simple enough basic design.

I am glad to hear it is a good brand.

it's actually pretty useful in the thick stuff, too. once you have your azimuth, pick an object along that. walk to it and repeat. can quickly stay on a straight line, even in the nasty stuff.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:01 PM

I keep one and a map close by but seldom even look at them.The only time I use my GPS is when I go to a city.
Posted By: gcs

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:29 PM

I keep one on the boat for when heavy fog rolls in, first rule of using a compass ,, is to believe the compass!!! you mind will play tricks on you, lol

But...that mini chart plotter app on the phone sure is handy,.... grin

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
first rule of using a compass ,, is to believe the compass!!! you mind will play tricks on you, lol

this is TRUE! there have been several times where I was absolutely CONVINCED I needed to go a different way than what the compass said. It's very difficult to overcome your own mind.

(btw...the compass was right!)

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:42 PM

I've always been told the first thing a lost person does is start doubting the compass. I've had it happen to me a few times. The compass was always right, I was not.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:45 PM

I think the new technology is more than useful- it's a game changer, I love it and use it daily. With that said- it shouldn't be a replacement for orienteering knowledge for an outdoorsman, knowing how to use a compass with a map is a critical skill. Or else, it becomes another skill that falls by the wayside, same as a what the calculator did to math skills.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:46 PM

which is why you have to have a good compass you tested while you can see so that you know you can trust it when you can't see.

not going to lie in fog the radar on dads boat is great , dad has all the nav electronics well most of them anyway.

trolling just give me a bearing or I will pick one and I am watching the big boat compass how I started so it just works for me

anything you can see trolling is also moving at a troll , can't see shore much of the time

in my boat I have Garmin auto draw on my small sonar gps unit which is great for finding my way right back into the launch or down the channel. I am also always able to see shore as it is a small boat I don't go to big water some long water but not really big water.

I like to have a map of the lake I am going too , the fishing hots spots maps are not perfect but good enough in most cases.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
I think the new technology is more than useful- it's a game changer, I love it and use it daily. With that said- it shouldn't be a replacement for orienteering knowledge for an outdoorsman, knowing how to use a compass with a map is a critical skill. Or else, it becomes another skill that falls by the wayside, same as a what the calculator did to math skills.

batteries, my Friend. Batteries.

and no signal...
Posted By: Jasonj

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 01:58 PM

I never go into the bush without my Silva.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 02:12 PM

I carry a pocket compass and have one on my phone I use way more often. Crazy how young people can't tell directions. We got into a disagreement at the cabin on the direction a deer was shot years ago. Went out put the compass on it, I was right, even a nephew went home and double-checked it, I was right. Makes me shake my head.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
I carry a pocket compass and have one on my phone I use way more often. Crazy how young people can't tell directions. We got into a disagreement at the cabin on the direction a deer was shot years ago. Went out put the compass on it, I was right, even a nephew went home and double-checked it, I was right. Makes me shake my head.

yeah , I give directions like go west on F take that to OK continue west on OK and the landfill is on the north side of the road

I will hear is that right or left? and I shake my head.

at our deer camp if we couldn't point a simple compass direction my great uncle would have taken us out for a lesson on which way was north then hang our compass around our neck and point several times a day in a direction meaning you tell him what direction that is
he was a commercial fisherman and tug captain for barges and harbor work on the great lakes.
we also were corrected if we said toss me a rope , probably be something like "hey cowboy where's your horse ?"
it was a line , you are on the water , near the water , surrounded by water , it was a line , if you went out west roping horses then I guess it could be a rope.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 03:01 PM

Our new instant everything society wants answers to what ever comes along They don't have time to learn how or why Just give them the answer to the problem Some time ago on another forum a poster had just gotten a new weather app for his phone And now his question was if the app showed the wind direction to be SW Did that mean the wind was blowing TO that direction or was it blowing from that direction .Bob Dylan explained it a long time ago "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows If you are outside with your new weather ap phone and still are not sure of the wind direction you might be safer to go inside and stay there In our early days we where taught to learn the needed skills to become an outdoorsman And it was a life time learning process To be called a wooodsman or as Don Schumacher a well known outdoor trapping writer referred to it a woodsbum was a title that was sought after and was a complement So for all that still like to use a compass more power to you Skills enable you to be better at whatever you do
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 03:05 PM

Impossible to get lost while using the Silva Ranger. Open it up and you’re also right there in the mirror.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 03:34 PM

I have several of different kinds. They work great if I can only convince myself to believe them. Amazing how I can get turned around in short order.
Posted By: Boco

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 04:04 PM

How many know how to use an astrolabe?
All the great explorere and cartographers Like Cartier used the astrolabe since there were no maps of that country.Those guys made the maps.
I would say not many people know how to use an astrolabe.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 04:14 PM

I remember on a dual survivor episode the comment was made that without a visual bearing you tend walk in a circle towards your dominant hand and I do believe it, if I’m walking though an alfalfa field looking down trying to find something I tend to go to my right. I remember in high school we had basic compass training we didn’t really work with a map but the good thing it taught us was to use the compass to walk in a straight line and at least here in Iowa you will eventually come to a road.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
I have several of different kinds. They work great if I can only convince myself to believe them. Amazing how I can get turned around in short order.

That's the problem with looking down for too long. Its like nailing one foot to the ground...lol
Posted By: EdP

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 05:00 PM

I always carry a compass in the deep woods although it has become increasingly difficult to keep one handy and protected from magnetic sources. A couple of years ago I found my compass had reversed polarity. I had carried it in a backpack pocket with my glasses that were in a case with a magnetic closure.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by SYR Trapper
Wont be in the woods without one

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Nope carry one in my hunting pack all the time

I have my ol' man's all brass GI Compass from WW2, he carried all over the Pacific theater. Works just fine.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

I have my ol' man's all brass GI Compass from WW2, he carried all over the Pacific theater. Works just fine.

I don't think I would take that out in the woods

I am fairly certain I have lost more compasses than I ever had go bad or break.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 07:44 PM

You need the find my compass app grin
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 08:36 PM

Especially useful early morning fog bound runs on the river. And you best know your river well if venturing out there with compass and fog lights.
Posted By: TRADER TUT

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 08:42 PM

ALL GOOD ADVICE above..... Just like knives ==== 1 is none, 2 is 1, etc..... Never have been Lost...Just confused for Awhile..........Noteworthy, Here in the Adirondacks lots of Iron Ore deposits in the ground. Tut

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by TRADER TUT
Noteworthy, Here in the Adirondacks lots of Iron Ore deposits in the ground. Tut

and old abandoned pipelines (low pressure) can jack things up.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/09/24 09:24 PM

ok....educate me.

The most lost I have ever been was because I TRIED to use a compass.
I was hunting and digging ginseng in southern Il. in an area I was not familiar with. When I left my truck I took the bearings, I was headed south east. After few hours I wanted to head back to my truck. Looked at the compass to decide for sure which way to head back. What that thing told me was backwards from what I thought I needed to go. But, I decided it was smarter than me so I took off in what it was saying was north west. Several miles later I come out on a road. A road I knew I shouldn't be anywhere near. I was eight miles from my truck and it was getting late.
I headed back once again and did find my truck. Long after dark. I threw that compass as far as I could throw it and have never carried one since. I have not gotten lost since either.

I would love to know how to use one, I would love to be able to trust them. But what I was told by some is that in at least that part of the state the iron ore pits make them useless.

Did I have the wrong type of compass, or do the iron pits make them unreliable?

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/10/24 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
ok....educate me.

The most lost I have ever been was because I TRIED to use a compass.
I was hunting and digging ginseng in southern Il. in an area I was not familiar with. When I left my truck I took the bearings, I was headed south east. After few hours I wanted to head back to my truck. Looked at the compass to decide for sure which way to head back. What that thing told me was backwards from what I thought I needed to go. But, I decided it was smarter than me so I took off in what it was saying was north west. Several miles later I come out on a road. A road I knew I shouldn't be anywhere near. I was eight miles from my truck and it was getting late.
I headed back once again and did find my truck. Long after dark. I threw that compass as far as I could throw it and have never carried one since. I have not gotten lost since either.

I would love to know how to use one, I would love to be able to trust them. But what I was told by some is that in at least that part of the state the iron ore pits make them useless.

Did I have the wrong type of compass, or do the iron pits make them unreliable?

the time to test and practice with a compass isn't the first time you go deep in the woods.

driving around , walking around where you know which way is north
driving around your area you could get a good idea of if it is effected by the iron ore in the area. the roads around your ginseng spot if the compass points true driving on them then you should be good

in an open field , parking lot , park . make a mark , place a rock , a stick , something.
make it interesting put a dollar under the rock
the goal is to make the marker not easily visible so you don't just walk back to it
stand over your marker
look in a direction it doesn't matter , the arrow on the base of the compass needs to point that direction, the compass stays level ,without moving hold your compass turn the dial until the "red is in the shed" meaning the red end of the needle is in the designation indicating north now sighting over the compass in the direction you choose look for a target to walk to like a tree in line with your arrow , walk 50 paces strait at your target and stop , now what ever number shows at the arrow for your direction of travel add 120 to it and dial it in

say I started at 20* and walked 50 paces I would turn the dial to 140* then walk 50 paces then turn the dial to 260*. turn my body each time after dialing in the additional 120 till the red is in the shed then walk 50 paces

the red stays in the shed all the while I am walking and sighting at the target

if you come back and you are easily able to pick up your marker , you did it right

if you can do that several times then you should be able to take your bearing headed in at the road and add 180 to it to come back out

practice it to know how it works before you need it to work.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/10/24 03:47 AM

You can buy old compasses cheaply at auction, but buyer beware. I recently looked at a picture of 14 compasses for sale in one lot, on an online auction and 5 different directions were shown as North.

Keith
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/10/24 04:00 AM

Silva Ranger used here.
Use a GPS also to mark trap locations with written notes. Just in case I tip over. Someone will be able to pick them up.

Re: am I the last person using a compass? - 01/10/24 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
ok....educate me.

here is a good very simple video

© 2024 Trapperman Forums