No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: Mike Kelly] #7959686
09/27/23 07:45 PM
09/27/23 07:45 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Online content
trapper
Vinke  Online Content
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
Originally Posted by Vinke
So for us cage trappers? Any grace

Nobody Cares, Trap Harder!

There are probably 20 other states you could go to and use body grips, footholds or snares and catch plenty of beaver too.

Lol
Top contender

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7959834
09/27/23 10:32 PM
09/27/23 10:32 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
What's ice?

My Finn buddy from WI calls it the separator season

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: Kirk De] #7960590
09/29/23 07:41 AM
09/29/23 07:41 AM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Originally Posted by Kirk De
Originally Posted by eedup
What Clay just said ! Most Southern bvr guys don't get paid for numbers they get paid for the correct bvr. No one cares if I catch 100 bvr if the culvert is still plugged.

You too need to go back to school and study biology , weather and map reading.
You don’t have a clue.

Whatever you say know it all . And this is why I stopped posting. You sir have no clue who I am or what I do.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960595
09/29/23 07:47 AM
09/29/23 07:47 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I was wondering what biology and map reading had to do with anything myself. grin

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: trapdog1] #7960663
09/29/23 09:40 AM
09/29/23 09:40 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by trapdog1
I was wondering what biology and map reading had to do with anything myself. grin

We all base what we think and say on life’s experiences. My answer was based on others that have given the same answer that Was posted purtaining to catching beaver. The answer I gave speaks for itself. Weather, Biology, and map reading.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960717
09/29/23 10:46 AM
09/29/23 10:46 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Kirk de, sorry, but the "You don't have a clue" addendum to your post was insulting. Those of us that are fortunate enough to know eedup know that indeed, he actually does have a clue.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960782
09/29/23 12:53 PM
09/29/23 12:53 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I want to see all the beaver, who"wins" I don't care. I busted my butt in the 70's and caught 25 beaver, thought that was a good catch, caught 23 in one day in the 90's thought I should of done better!?

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960788
09/29/23 12:59 PM
09/29/23 12:59 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Thanks Carl, I didn't realize I was gonna upset the bvr numbers gods. I do run maps avenza, landglide. Kirk has mentioned before about looking at maps and finding where the bvr producing ponds are. The part I have trouble with is how does a trapper get into those bvr maternity areas that you avoid in Oregon to manage your line and wipe out those maternity areas year after year and still catch Big numbers in the same area. In my experience in South ark if I start a new timber property after 3-4 years I have the numbers down to maintenence levels. I start at the road culverts and work my way up. After ten years on some properties there's just maintenance left. Quite a few of my drainages dump into 65000 acres of wma. I don't get paid to Trap the wma. If I'm not getting hourly wage and mileage I'm not taking bvr.

I'll say it again tho. If I catch a hundred bvr on property x and I leave with culverts still plugged I won't keep my job long. This will be my 29th season in the south and my 15th with timber contacts.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: eedup] #7960818
09/29/23 02:12 PM
09/29/23 02:12 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
What Clay just said ! Most Southern bvr guys don't get paid for numbers they get paid for the correct bvr. No one cares if I catch 100 bvr if the culvert is still plugged.

I always would go into the drainage easement and look at maps to see where the different choke points were. The access to the properties. There might be 15 or 20 different landowners are more over a 15 mile stretch. I would estimate the number of the beaver on the drainage and give that to the county or the landowners that I was trapping I would shoot for those goals . What I have found is that I would need to trap at least 65 to 70% of what was there each year to get a reduction to almost none the end of four or five years in the large swamps. I would always go back to the different locations to three times during the season to catch any stragglers. The choke points at roads and bridges would always be the biggest concern. Landowners would not say anything to me as long as I was meeting the goals that I set before I started. after it got in the warm Months I relied on the landowners to call me if there was any new activity. Where I lived the water temperatures outside of the winter months was very warm. It affected the activity something fierce. So it might be 2 to 3 weeks before there was any more activity.I relied on my background know about the weather affecting beavers, how many there were in the basic facts about biology of the beaver.
It was frustrating in that I only had one county, the county I lived in they would allocate enough money to take care of the problem. After several years County administrators change. Sometimes the money wouldn’t be allocated for two or three years till They had a problem again. Some whole drainages Will take 10 years before there was a problem again. There were a lot of places they couldn’t catch all of the beavers on the run because of landowners were animal rights types. This would allow the beavers to move into the areas that where I had trapped within a year or two. It sounds like Eedup We have had several similar instances. How we describe what took place and how we did our business must be different. We all had the same goals. We both relied on weather biology and map reading.
I had permission over the years to trap on over 1000 landowners. Over 26 plantations, lumber companies, and large landowners that owned and controlled over 20,000 acres each. One owner had 32,000 acres but few beaver problems. eight counties. It encompassed approximately from the Florida line north 80 miles ,west 40 miles and east 40 or more miles.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960835
09/29/23 03:02 PM
09/29/23 03:02 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Heckuva difference in nuisance beaver work and fur trapping beaver.
No doubt in my mind which mentality will catch the most numbers.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: Kirk De] #7960867
09/29/23 04:36 PM
09/29/23 04:36 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Kirk De

I always would go into the drainage easement and look at maps to see where the different choke points were. The access to the properties. There might be 15 or 20 different landowners are more over a 15 mile stretch. I would estimate the number of the beaver on the drainage and give that to the county or the landowners that I was trapping I would shoot for those goals . What I have found is that I would need to trap at least 65 to 70% of what was there each year to get a reduction to almost none the end of four or five years in the large swamps. I would always go back to the different locations to three times during the season to catch any stragglers. The choke points at roads and bridges would always be the biggest concern. Landowners would not say anything to me as long as I was meeting the goals that I set before I started. after it got in the warm Months I relied on the landowners to call me if there was any new activity. Where I lived the water temperatures outside of the winter months was very warm. It affected the activity something fierce. So it might be 2 to 3 weeks before there was any more activity.I relied on my background know about the weather affecting beavers, how many there were in the basic facts about biology of the beaver.
It was frustrating in that I only had one county, the county I lived in they would allocate enough money to take care of the problem. After several years County administrators change. Sometimes the money wouldn’t be allocated for two or three years till They had a problem again. Some whole drainages Will take 10 years before there was a problem again. There were a lot of places they couldn’t catch all of the beavers on the run because of landowners were animal rights types. This would allow the beavers to move into the areas that where I had trapped within a year or two. It sounds like Eedup We have had several similar instances. How we describe what took place and how we did our business must be different. We all had the same goals. We both relied on weather biology and map reading.
I had permission over the years to trap on over 1000 landowners. Over 26 plantations, lumber companies, and large landowners that owned and controlled over 20,000 acres each. One owner had 32,000 acres but few beaver problems. eight counties. It encompassed approximately from the Florida line north 80 miles ,west 40 miles and east 40 or more miles.

This is a good post.
Here when I was working as a nuisance beaver agent for the railroad we aeriel surveyed the drainages along the entire 600 mile rail line that I was responsible for and marked the priority spots on maps which also included beaver estimates and water flow numbers.(the flowage rates came from documents the railroad already had)

We also use aerial surveys of our traplines to make beaver trapping more efficient when trapping in winter,and to count beaver.

Last edited by Boco; 09/29/23 04:39 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960871
09/29/23 04:48 PM
09/29/23 04:48 PM
SE Idaho
P
PNWTrappr Offline
trapper
PNWTrappr  Offline
trapper
P

SE Idaho
Idaho, definitely Idaho : )

I saw the post about Jedediah Smith, does anyone know the source of that reference to that many beaver in a season? I'm guessing that was in Utah, good marshy areas in the SL valley, but dang that is a lot of beaver. -edit: I see just saw the reference further down : )

Last edited by PNWTrappr; 09/29/23 04:52 PM.

When I grow up I want to be a real mountain man.
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960872
09/29/23 04:51 PM
09/29/23 04:51 PM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
They fly the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest up here every year and mark all the active beaver ponds. Anyone can stop and get a map and go trapping, most have no access other than walking and some with no road or trail. You ain’t going to catch big numbers when it takes all day to set up a pond, and skin in the woods.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: Line Jumper] #7960874
09/29/23 04:56 PM
09/29/23 04:56 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Line Jumper
They fly the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest up here every year and mark all the active beaver ponds. Anyone can stop and get a map and go trapping, most have no access other than walking and some with no road or trail. You ain’t going to catch big numbers when it takes all day to set up a pond, and skin in the woods.

Cant run the creeks in winter with your snowmachine?
That is how winter beaver trappers harvested big numbers here back in the day when premiums were paid for winter beaver.Do the spring runs in late feb to late march
Snowmachine is the only way to acess a lot of the beaver here.
You can clean out the entire drainage running the creeks in winter.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Boco; 09/29/23 05:03 PM.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7960952
09/29/23 06:38 PM
09/29/23 06:38 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Kirk de, sorry, but the "You don't have a clue" addendum to your post was insulting. Those of us that are fortunate enough to know eedup know that indeed, he actually does have a clue.

Yes sir. He likely knows more about what he is saying than most everyone on this thread. I doubt he gets the apology he deserves though.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: ~ADC~] #7960977
09/29/23 07:00 PM
09/29/23 07:00 PM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
X2 Kirk lost me when he decided to insult eedup . He is accomplished , hard working trapper with great integrity. He has caught and handled a pile of fur over the years along with a ton of damage control.No need for that BS.

Last edited by blackhammer; 09/29/23 07:07 PM.

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: Boco] #7961022
09/29/23 07:52 PM
09/29/23 07:52 PM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI

Cant run the creeks in winter with your snowmachine?
That is how winter beaver trappers harvested big numbers here back in the day when premiums were paid for winter beaver.Do the spring runs in late feb to late march
Snowmachine is the only way to acess a lot of the beaver here.
You can clean out the entire drainage running the creeks in winter.

Snowmobiles on official trails only in the National Forest

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7961035
09/29/23 08:35 PM
09/29/23 08:35 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
They tried to close off a bunch of land here like that but our provincial trapping organization nipped that in the bud.
Some older provincial parks are protected,and some crown game preserves are also protected.but those places arent worth trapping since lack of management has left them very poor to non existent for harvestable fur numbers.
Natives trap and hunt some of these areas which helps a bit.

Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: PNWTrappr] #7961552
09/30/23 05:10 PM
09/30/23 05:10 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by PNWTrappr
Idaho, definitely Idaho : )

I saw the post about Jedediah Smith, does anyone know the source of that reference to that many beaver in a season? I'm guessing that was in Utah, good marshy areas in the SL valley, but dang that is a lot of beaver. -edit: I see just saw the reference further down : )

I have read just about everything ever published on Jedediah and the only place I ever saw that was in the "The Old West" series by Times Life Books. It was the Mountain Man edition.

But I can say this; Jedediah was one of the early ones to scout new territories (his forte) and traveled multiple all through the Rockies and upper Missouri valley. So his trapping season would have encompassed may current day states. At the time it would have encompassed Spanish (Mexican) and dual British-American claimed territories as well.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Which state will the top Trapperman beaver... [Re: beaverpeeler] #7961670
09/30/23 08:57 PM
09/30/23 08:57 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Wont be from Minnesota. Not enough time to trap open water. Last spring we didnt get much time at all, we might get a week or two in the fall.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread