No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking #7849965
04/21/23 01:28 AM
04/21/23 01:28 AM
Missouri
K9Wolfer Offline OP
trapper
K9Wolfer  Offline OP
trapper

Missouri

BMI 2K9Wolfer

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7849988
04/21/23 04:34 AM
04/21/23 04:34 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Nm add in a hot battery fire and structural integrity is gone and it will have to be demoed even a modern built parking structure.

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850003
04/21/23 05:39 AM
04/21/23 05:39 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Yes, local GMC dealer had to upgrade their car hoists because ev’s Are heavier.

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850004
04/21/23 05:46 AM
04/21/23 05:46 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
I'm sure city and federal governments will come up with some funds to replace them. Txzpayer funded, of course.

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850026
04/21/23 07:09 AM
04/21/23 07:09 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
"National Parking Association" You have got to be kidding me!?!?........jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850031
04/21/23 07:27 AM
04/21/23 07:27 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
There are bridges on county roads that one car at a time looks like its dangerous. Anybody been under the I70 bridge where it crosses the Mississippi? Remember the bridge collapse in Minnasota a few years ago? How about shutting down I40 at Memphis a few years ago over a bridge problem?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850059
04/21/23 08:25 AM
04/21/23 08:25 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Lots of logistics that the industry needs to get through, and lawmakers seem to think it's all easy-peasy and can force it on anyone...city or rural folks. My wife and I were discussing how it would ever work for us in next few years. Maybe as a commuter, we could make it work. We see lots of Teslas running around here, so others are figuring it out. Haven't seen many EV trucks, but a few. The ones I have seen are not generally working trucks like construction, farm, etc. they are just commuter drivers in town and their trucks are not very dirty or hauling anything serious, if you know what I mean.
If EVs are going to have traction in the industry, I can complain and resist, or I can figure it out. But clearly at this point in time EVs appear to have too many hurdles for our family.
So, for our household, this is what we came up with...
1.) We would have to get an electrician in to wire our garage so we could plug the thing(s) in every night. Three-stall garage currently, all plugs are only on one circuit. We have a beer/bait fridge running out there, and we have a fur freezer. Plugging in three vehicles would not work, obviously. Need an electrician to make that happen, thus some costs upfront before we even brought one EV home.
2.) EVs need to be cost-effective, not cost prohibitive, for us and our driving habits. I haven't found this to be the case yet. I need a truck and two cars if we go all in.
3.) If we want to road trip anywhere, say to see our very good relatives who we see a few times year and live about 6 hours to North in WI, we need to be able to charge it quickly at key points ALONG our route and charge them timely. Gas stations today we can find anywhere and we can be in/out in a few minutes and back on the road. Long charging times are not acceptable. Hunting for a place to charge quickly when meter is low, also not acceptable. And what do we do for charge if power is out for some time?
4.) I like getting service on all our vehicles at one place, locally, with a team/business we trust. Those are fairly limited today for specific EVs and models.
5.) Battery life and range are important. I have a 20 mile round trip daily to work, so does the Mrs. (10 in, 10 out). it adds up, but I like living far from the busy and living out where its quiet and I can still hear frogs in ditch on way home, and see stars at night.
6.) Vehicle longevity is important, too. We can go 7-10 years typically on our fuel burners, can we squeeze that out of an EV without major repairs and battery replacements? A well-cared-for fuel burner can go a very long life. I haven't seen any rechargeable battery do that, small or large scale. Not my drill, not my flashlights, not a standard vehicle battery today either.
7.) Performance in extreme weather...we can be 20 below in winter and we can be 100+ in summer. That's hard on standard auto batteries. I can only get maybe 3-4 years out of a standard battery. Same with a lot of stop/starting in those extreme conditions, its a draw on the battery for sure. Hey, I got a few stops to make when checking coyote traps in middle of night, middle of winter, and I ain't calling the Mrs. to come to pick me up because I'm out and about having a good old time while she is trying to sleep...and I all of sudden need a ride home along with all of my equipment and maybe a catch or two. We all know how that phone call would go.
8.) I never thought about the weight matter before you guys discussed it in this thread, but it makes me think does that impact my garage floor, my driveway? say for example is my concrete structurally sound enough to withstand the additional weight parked over several years in those areas?
Long story short, EVs can work for us but there are quite a few boxes to check yet, and our lives here ain't there yet.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 04/21/23 08:31 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850064
04/21/23 08:30 AM
04/21/23 08:30 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
On the flip side many of the parking garages are no longer full because of work from home.

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850068
04/21/23 08:34 AM
04/21/23 08:34 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
On plus side, if you ever drove one, and I mean a good EV model, they are scary fast and very fun to drive. I've driven my share of performance cars and turbos, but a performance EV is a whole new level of acceleration. If they do ever figure out all of the logistics, there are some upsides.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850321
04/21/23 04:22 PM
04/21/23 04:22 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
An EV truck flat out would not work for me. i have a 1000 mile round trip commute once twice a moth and sometimes take a boat home with me to work on. I doubt that I could make a 500 mile trip in a day towing a boat. I plan on doing gravel and mulch deliveries as a side gig and even in the scenario, An EV truck would have a hard time pulling a 14000 lbs trailer in the hills here for any amount of time. I only have a single phase line coming to my place with a 200 amp service. No charging stations anywhere near here either. They may work for people that don't have a job or are retired but then again, those folks will have a tough time paying for one as they are pretty steep. For they are as much use as a snooze button on a smoke alarm.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking [Re: K9Wolfer] #7850374
04/21/23 06:07 PM
04/21/23 06:07 PM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
What about AC in summer an HEAT in winter both putting a drain on the battery reserves. Course fur coats may be in vogue in the north or should I say utilitarian

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread