Home

Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking

Posted By: K9Wolfer

Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 05:28 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-vehicles-heavy-parking-garages-report.amp
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 08:34 AM

Nm add in a hot battery fire and structural integrity is gone and it will have to be demoed even a modern built parking structure.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 09:39 AM

Yes, local GMC dealer had to upgrade their car hoists because ev’s Are heavier.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 09:46 AM

I'm sure city and federal governments will come up with some funds to replace them. Txzpayer funded, of course.
Posted By: jk

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 11:09 AM

"National Parking Association" You have got to be kidding me!?!?........jk
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 11:27 AM

There are bridges on county roads that one car at a time looks like its dangerous. Anybody been under the I70 bridge where it crosses the Mississippi? Remember the bridge collapse in Minnasota a few years ago? How about shutting down I40 at Memphis a few years ago over a bridge problem?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 12:25 PM

Lots of logistics that the industry needs to get through, and lawmakers seem to think it's all easy-peasy and can force it on anyone...city or rural folks. My wife and I were discussing how it would ever work for us in next few years. Maybe as a commuter, we could make it work. We see lots of Teslas running around here, so others are figuring it out. Haven't seen many EV trucks, but a few. The ones I have seen are not generally working trucks like construction, farm, etc. they are just commuter drivers in town and their trucks are not very dirty or hauling anything serious, if you know what I mean.
If EVs are going to have traction in the industry, I can complain and resist, or I can figure it out. But clearly at this point in time EVs appear to have too many hurdles for our family.
So, for our household, this is what we came up with...
1.) We would have to get an electrician in to wire our garage so we could plug the thing(s) in every night. Three-stall garage currently, all plugs are only on one circuit. We have a beer/bait fridge running out there, and we have a fur freezer. Plugging in three vehicles would not work, obviously. Need an electrician to make that happen, thus some costs upfront before we even brought one EV home.
2.) EVs need to be cost-effective, not cost prohibitive, for us and our driving habits. I haven't found this to be the case yet. I need a truck and two cars if we go all in.
3.) If we want to road trip anywhere, say to see our very good relatives who we see a few times year and live about 6 hours to North in WI, we need to be able to charge it quickly at key points ALONG our route and charge them timely. Gas stations today we can find anywhere and we can be in/out in a few minutes and back on the road. Long charging times are not acceptable. Hunting for a place to charge quickly when meter is low, also not acceptable. And what do we do for charge if power is out for some time?
4.) I like getting service on all our vehicles at one place, locally, with a team/business we trust. Those are fairly limited today for specific EVs and models.
5.) Battery life and range are important. I have a 20 mile round trip daily to work, so does the Mrs. (10 in, 10 out). it adds up, but I like living far from the busy and living out where its quiet and I can still hear frogs in ditch on way home, and see stars at night.
6.) Vehicle longevity is important, too. We can go 7-10 years typically on our fuel burners, can we squeeze that out of an EV without major repairs and battery replacements? A well-cared-for fuel burner can go a very long life. I haven't seen any rechargeable battery do that, small or large scale. Not my drill, not my flashlights, not a standard vehicle battery today either.
7.) Performance in extreme weather...we can be 20 below in winter and we can be 100+ in summer. That's hard on standard auto batteries. I can only get maybe 3-4 years out of a standard battery. Same with a lot of stop/starting in those extreme conditions, its a draw on the battery for sure. Hey, I got a few stops to make when checking coyote traps in middle of night, middle of winter, and I ain't calling the Mrs. to come to pick me up because I'm out and about having a good old time while she is trying to sleep...and I all of sudden need a ride home along with all of my equipment and maybe a catch or two. We all know how that phone call would go.
8.) I never thought about the weight matter before you guys discussed it in this thread, but it makes me think does that impact my garage floor, my driveway? say for example is my concrete structurally sound enough to withstand the additional weight parked over several years in those areas?
Long story short, EVs can work for us but there are quite a few boxes to check yet, and our lives here ain't there yet.
Jim
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 12:30 PM

On the flip side many of the parking garages are no longer full because of work from home.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 12:34 PM

On plus side, if you ever drove one, and I mean a good EV model, they are scary fast and very fun to drive. I've driven my share of performance cars and turbos, but a performance EV is a whole new level of acceleration. If they do ever figure out all of the logistics, there are some upsides.
Jim
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 08:22 PM

An EV truck flat out would not work for me. i have a 1000 mile round trip commute once twice a moth and sometimes take a boat home with me to work on. I doubt that I could make a 500 mile trip in a day towing a boat. I plan on doing gravel and mulch deliveries as a side gig and even in the scenario, An EV truck would have a hard time pulling a 14000 lbs trailer in the hills here for any amount of time. I only have a single phase line coming to my place with a 200 amp service. No charging stations anywhere near here either. They may work for people that don't have a job or are retired but then again, those folks will have a tough time paying for one as they are pretty steep. For they are as much use as a snooze button on a smoke alarm.
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Electric vehicles may be too heavy for old parking - 04/21/23 10:07 PM

What about AC in summer an HEAT in winter both putting a drain on the battery reserves. Course fur coats may be in vogue in the north or should I say utilitarian
© 2024 Trapperman Forums