No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: John-Chagnon] #7670005
09/12/22 05:11 PM
09/12/22 05:11 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Ohio at on time stocked salmon , but did away with it about 20 years ago.
They still stock steelhead last I checked.

Perch could be hurting because of the gobies, and zebra mussles , but the last few years the red algie may have had an effect also.
As far as I know commercial fishing has been almost shut down.
Years ago I would see nets with floats to warn you , haven't been out that far in a long time , so have no idea any more.

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: John-Chagnon] #7670055
09/12/22 06:39 PM
09/12/22 06:39 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
We seldom catch yellow perch anymore in Lake Erie ( Pa side ). The perch head boats in Erie, Pa have switched over to chasing walleye. ( like we have ). Them perch have a hide on them like Kevlar, I always break out the electric knife to clean them.

Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: John-Chagnon] #7670059
09/12/22 06:46 PM
09/12/22 06:46 PM
Wyoming County Pa.
Hornady Reloader Offline
trapper
Hornady Reloader  Offline
trapper

Wyoming County Pa.
Nice catch

Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: John-Chagnon] #7670111
09/12/22 08:04 PM
09/12/22 08:04 PM
Friend, NE
S
Sledgehammer Offline
trapper
Sledgehammer  Offline
trapper
S

Friend, NE
Nice mess of fish!

Sledge
Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: John-Chagnon] #7670124
09/12/22 08:27 PM
09/12/22 08:27 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Perch are fast and easy to unzip with an electric fillet knife.

The zebra mussels clarified the water so much that all fish have benefited. Gobies are eating machines that eat fish eggs. The bacterial tide in the far Western basin and Sandusky bay does not impact perch in the Central Basin. The perch limit in the Western basin is still 30. In the Central basin the limit is reduced from 30 to 10. I believe that the real culprits are the cormorants. When duck hunting it is common to see many flocks of up to 5,000 birds and more. One year, the count was at 300,000 birds.

Send gobies, cormorants, and the chinese virus back to china.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: Willy Firewood] #7670128
09/12/22 08:29 PM
09/12/22 08:29 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
On Lake Erie, might the spring and fall flocks of hundreds of thousands of cormorants be related to reduced perch numbers?
How about the gobies that eat fish eggs?
Or any other invasive species?

Stocking of salmon and trout put a hurting on our perch and pretty much wiped out the smelt in my area of Lake Ontario.The perch have rebounded very well since they don't stock the salmon and trout like they used to.Still not much smelt.DEC origionally said the salmon and trout wouldn't hurt the smelt population,,but every Brown or Steelie I cought had bellies full,,with smelt tails hanging out of their mouths.GLUTTONS.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Nice mess of Perch [Re: upstateNY] #7670811
09/13/22 06:53 PM
09/13/22 06:53 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
On Lake Erie, might the spring and fall flocks of hundreds of thousands of cormorants be related to reduced perch numbers?
How about the gobies that eat fish eggs?
Or any other invasive species?

Stocking of salmon and trout put a hurting on our perch and pretty much wiped out the smelt in my area of Lake Ontario.The perch have rebounded very well since they don't stock the salmon and trout like they used to.Still not much smelt.DEC origionally said the salmon and trout wouldn't hurt the smelt population,,but every Brown or Steelie I cought had bellies full,,with smelt tails hanging out of their mouths.GLUTTONS.

Sad but very truthful.
Anytime you add something to any environment it will cause change.
Sad that Lake Ontario fish are so full of contaminats that commercial canning is limmited to cat food.
Makes sense , as all the lakes flow into it, anything contaminating dumps there.
It's the last stop and one of the deepist .

Last edited by Ohio Wolverine; 09/13/22 06:55 PM.

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread