No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: 160user] #7395596
11/03/21 08:34 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by 160user
I had a fox and trap stolen one time. It was on public land and it was always the first set I checked at 5 am (legal trap tending hours) so I couldn't figure out how someone got to it before me. Idiots being what they are, one of the local dirtbags was in the bar bragging about it and that they had spotted it...............wait for it..................while he was teaching his kid how to shine deer! I called the warden and he paid them a visit. He found my shredded fox pelt (they didn't know how to skin it), my trap.............along with an illegal deer they had shot that same night. I got my trap back, $20 for the fox pelt and they lost their illegal deer, rifle that they had borrowed from a friend and loss of hunting rights for several years.

Augh the Bar and "loose lips- sinks another ship "
Good ending 160user

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: Wright Brothers] #7395598
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
They continue to do this because they get away with it.
You allow it by not turning in law breakers, period.

There's not a prosecutor in this country that will prosecute this kid...which in his mind, was doing the right thing at the time. That's if you could get a warden to cite him. Most I know would have done exactly what the poster did (which is the common sense/ human thing to do).

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: YamaCat] #7395629
11/03/21 09:20 AM
11/03/21 09:20 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by YamaCat
Looks like easy stitching. Shouldn’t be any fragments

Unless there is a patch of fur cut offf. I hate those mechanical broadheads, they usually cut a big chunk of fur off on the way in. I've had it happen several times. You need to look at the edges of the in AND the out hole. It will look like bullit burn from a high power, and cut that area out before you sew it up. Waxed dental floss is a good choice!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395633
11/03/21 09:26 AM
11/03/21 09:26 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
As a young kid who didn't have much money for traps and equipment, but I was determined to become a fox trapper. At the time I didn't realize we didn't have a large population of red fox but that didn't stop me from trying. I got permission for a local farmer and made several sets. A few days later found I had caught two fox but found only an empty trap in a pool of blood. I was disharted to say the least but remade the sets. On the my way back to my truck I meet up with the farmer combining corn. As I crawled up to the cab I noticed blood on the steps and floor of the combine. Told the farmer what happened and he played ignorant. After our short conversation, I pulled my traps and never went back. That was in the late 70's when fox where bringing good money.

Last edited by 20scout; 11/03/21 09:26 AM.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7395667
11/03/21 10:02 AM
11/03/21 10:02 AM
Wisconsin
lindner115 Offline OP
trapper
lindner115  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Originally Posted by YamaCat
Looks like easy stitching. Shouldn’t be any fragments

Unless there is a patch of fur cut offf. I hate those mechanical broadheads, they usually cut a big chunk of fur off on the way in. I've had it happen several times. You need to look at the edges of the in AND the out hole. It will look like bullit burn from a high power, and cut that area out before you sew it up. Waxed dental floss is a good choice!

Thanks Lee, will do!

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: 20scout] #7395669
11/03/21 10:05 AM
11/03/21 10:05 AM
Wisconsin
lindner115 Offline OP
trapper
lindner115  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by 20scout
As a young kid who didn't have much money for traps and equipment, but I was determined to become a fox trapper. At the time I didn't realize we didn't have a large population of red fox but that didn't stop me from trying. I got permission for a local farmer and made several sets. A few days later found I had caught two fox but found only an empty trap in a pool of blood. I was disharted to say the least but remade the sets. On the my way back to my truck I meet up with the farmer combining corn. As I crawled up to the cab I noticed blood on the steps and floor of the combine. Told the farmer what happened and he played ignorant. After our short conversation, I pulled my traps and never went back. That was in the late 70's when fox where bringing good money.

So I've got a little over a dozen traps out. My 11 year old and I usually set on the weekend. Most are doubles. He does one and I do one. He legit does it all, with exception of driving in cable stake. So he WILL get his first catch. If this guy would have taken that moment, that picture from me, I dont know what I would have done.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395691
11/03/21 10:28 AM
11/03/21 10:28 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Honestly this didn't end all that bad, I know it's aggravating but will happen from time to time...Just sew it up and keep trapping.

One guy "helped me out' back in the early 80's by dispatching a gray fox for me....A 12 ga from 5 ft to the head, and the shot wad was still embedded when found.

People who don't normally get this close to these animals just get excited, and act on impulse.

Member - FTA
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395699
11/03/21 10:34 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
You did right sometimes a good talking to will shape him to be a better man. I have had friends who are long time hunters on my trap line and they have issues seeing an animal in a trap alive. Best you can do is educate folks maybe change their thinking.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395700
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
It sucks but it is part of the game and always will be. I have less issues when I use drags because a lot of catches can hide and passers by never see them.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395735
11/03/21 11:23 AM
11/03/21 11:23 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Once about 15-18 years back I was running a beaver line during our firearms deer season. I am good at hiding my sets on account of years trapping high pressure public ground......where visible trap sets and caught stuff walks off. All my beaver foot-hold sets were on cable slides, so they were not easy to find unless you were a trapper looking for them. I was checking on a two day rotation and only came by every other a.m. to check this one spot. When I arrived I found a young beav nearly blown in two by what was obviously a centerfire deer round. The trap and cable were still there, all tangled in a birds nest ball. There were deer camps all up and down that stretch of road, and I assume the beav got tangled instead of sliding to it's demise, and was visible to passing hunters as it struggled on the dam only 25 yards off the trail. I guarantee a deer hunter either thought he did me a favor, or thought he'd learn me a lesson. Both scenarios would have the same results for me. The little beaver's pelt was worth all of about $5 that fall. I'm lucky the hunter didn't take the trap as a souvenir. My one Warden pal said I should have called him when I told him about it a bit later. Maybe I should have, but I actually felt relieved my gear was still there!

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395743
11/03/21 11:33 AM
11/03/21 11:33 AM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
I guess he admitted he knew it was in a trap when he shot it? You did good on education, teach him to trap maybe.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395750
11/03/21 11:38 AM
11/03/21 11:38 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
No excuse to put a big hole in a pelt to dispatch a catch.

Back in the day before registered traplines there was a thing called custom law in the bush.Trappers respected other trappers trapping areas and would not set near them(if they did custom law would kick in and it could be harsh) Other people could hunt there and fish etc but trapping rights were respected.Some trappers would pass thru other trappers lines going and coming from their own.Custom law would dictate that if a trapper came across another trappers catch,he would properly dispatch the catch if the animal was alive and remove it from the trap,hang it near the trap for safekeeping from predators and re-set the trappers trap.Same if he came across a dead animal in a trap on the ground-hang it up to keep it from getting ruined by small mammals and re set the trappers trap for him.

Times changed,traplines were registered and it is illegal to touch another trappers sets today.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: 20scout] #7395764
11/03/21 11:59 AM
11/03/21 11:59 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Originally Posted by 20scout

Same type deal. Rancher had a coyote problem. Caught a couple fox. Both taken by the owner of the land the same night. Pulled the line and never acknowledged his existence again.

Deer lease outfitter down by Liberal. Owner took two cats out of my traps. Pulled the line and never acknowledged his existence again. Last I heard he was controlling the yote population by calling......

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395826
11/03/21 01:32 PM
11/03/21 01:32 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
If that’s the worst thing that happens to you, you’re in great shape. At least he wasn’t intentionally trying to mess you up.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: Boco] #7395863
11/03/21 02:44 PM
11/03/21 02:44 PM
Illinois/Indiana (depends on t...
E
eastwood44mag Offline
trapper
eastwood44mag  Offline
trapper
E

Illinois/Indiana (depends on t...
Originally Posted by Boco
No excuse to put a big hole in a pelt to dispatch a catch.

Back in the day before registered traplines there was a thing called custom law in the bush.Trappers respected other trappers trapping areas and would not set near them(if they did custom law would kick in and it could be harsh) Other people could hunt there and fish etc but trapping rights were respected.Some trappers would pass thru other trappers lines going and coming from their own.Custom law would dictate that if a trapper came across another trappers catch,he would properly dispatch the catch if the animal was alive and remove it from the trap,hang it near the trap for safekeeping from predators and re-set the trappers trap.Same if he came across a dead animal in a trap on the ground-hang it up to keep it from getting ruined by small mammals and re set the trappers trap for him.

Times changed,traplines were registered and it is illegal to touch another trappers sets today.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395878
11/03/21 03:12 PM
11/03/21 03:12 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Part of the game. Back in the late 70's, it really bit.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395893
11/03/21 03:35 PM
11/03/21 03:35 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Had land owner shoot 2 reds for me one day waiting on me to get there. First mistake was taking him with me to set them. Oh yes he shot both in the head with a 30-06 Needle and thread. I just ask him to use 22 after that or just wait on me as I was there 5 minutes after daylight. He was pulling into barn before daylight saw eyes.

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395936
11/03/21 04:42 PM
11/03/21 04:42 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Bad deal for sure, think you handled it better than I would have.

I don't trap anymore till big game season is over, crazy what people will do any more.
Most of my critters get shot and end eagle food.
Stolen traps, an animal.
Most people in Montana think they are welcome any where.
Private or not, I know this guy or family and it should be ok.
Don't know how time's I have heard that line.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: hippie] #7395946
11/03/21 05:00 PM
11/03/21 05:00 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by hippie
Part of the game. Back in the late 70's, it really bit.

It was a common occurrence. And a lot was from so called trappers.

Mac

Re: anger on the trap line!!! [Re: lindner115] #7395950
11/03/21 05:07 PM
11/03/21 05:07 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
I hope you told him how illegal it is to mess with others traps and trapped animals.

A lot of kids are really stupid and the only thing that they learn from is polite but stern instruction.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread