Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#733293 - 05/26/08 11:23 PM Re: frying catfish [Re: kseric]
Andrew Smith Offline
trapper

Loc: Exira, IA
Is there a difference in taste between river catfish and pond catfish? I heard that pond fish don't have as clean as water, so then their taste isn't as good as a fish in clean flowing river water.

#741600 - 06/03/08 12:18 AM Re: frying catfish [Re: Andrew Smith]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
If you will keep the fish meat in ICE water right up to the time your ready to dredge or how ever your going to do it the fish will come out really flakey when its dun

#785564 - 07/13/08 09:42 AM Re: frying catfish [Re: Kirk]
fjpk111 Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
Has anyone ever had a problem with the catfish being rubbery after ya cook it? I'm not sure whats up but they look and feel fine before you cook them, i'ved had it happen when cookin a mess of them. not all are rubbery and they were fixed the same way and caught from the same water .

#816336 - 08/03/08 07:38 AM Re: frying catfish [Re: fjpk111]
half pint Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
we do some jugg'n and bank line'n on a small lake near home every summer ..
as soon as i boat a fish i gut them and put them on ice ...
next morning i skin and fillet them ..chunk them up and soak them in salt water for a few hour's ..then i fill my sink up with fresh ice water and cut up a couple oranges and squeeze the juice in the ice water ..after a few hour's of soaking ..we either freeze them in bag's with water or we have a fry ..
we use mcormick beer batter most of the time ..they come out great every time...

#2386477 - 01/19/11 09:58 PM Re: frying catfish [Re: Nextyeartrapper]
trapper0234 Offline
trapper

Loc: Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
If the fillet is rubbery, then you over cooked it. When I deep fry my catfish fillets, I rinse fillets and put in gallon zip lock bag with McCormicks fish fry mix and shake. Deep fry fillets for 4 minutes (no longer unless the fillets are really thick). The key to cooking fish is not to over cook. Fish don't take long to cook at all.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2