Home

Fish..........frying catfish

Posted By: Nextyeartrapper

Fish..........frying catfish - 03/11/07 11:40 PM

ive always just dregded the fillets in flour salt and pepper mix

but i want some other ways to do it what do yall do ?
Posted By: Uncle Fester

Re: frying catfish - 03/11/07 11:51 PM

I do mine like this.

1. Dredge in seasoned flour.

2. Dip in egg wash.

3. Dredge again in the flour.

4. Deep fry 350 till golden brown.

5. Season w/cajun seasoning while it is still hot, right out of the oil.

6. Enjoy.
Posted By: nitestalker

Re: frying catfish - 03/11/07 11:55 PM

I fillet mine then cut them into 2" nuggets roll them in egg then something called kentucky kernels seasoned flour and deep fry at 350'

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:02 AM

alrights thanks so far

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:07 AM

Done on the grill also, wrapped in tinfoil w/salt pepper on the fillet, and some Italian dressing on them.

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:23 AM

ive done that one sdavis problem is im outa charcoal lol

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:43 AM

alright davis im employing yur first recipe we shall see

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:46 AM

Its good you wont be disapointed. Just make sure you use plenty of cajun seasoning at the end, so it comes out good and spicy!!!

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 02:56 AM

well davis it was GREAT i think i overcooked it a bit but anyways thanks ill be using that recipe alot now
Posted By: Mystic Wildlife

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:21 PM

Try Panko crumbs. It's an asian thing. Most of the larger supermarkets would have it in the Asian food aisle. It makes a light, crispy coating. Excellent.

Otherwise, Sdavis has a good method. I would add a few suggestions to it. I lay onion slices over the fish an hour or more before cooking. The fish should be cut in small pieces to make them easier to handle, and allow more crisp. I keep my oil a little hotter than 350. Maybe 375. Important: don't overload the fryer. It's better to cook a few pieces at a time so the oil doesn't cool, which would lead to an oily end-product.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 12:37 PM

dredge in egg/milk solution then batter with crushed betty crocker potato buds, seasonings of your like, and deep fry, will comeout looking like broasted chicken and be golden brown. works on all fish. yummy
Posted By: Nutoy

Re: frying catfish - 03/12/07 03:56 PM

Flour ?
Sam, it's a northern thing. LOL
I do Tony Chachere's with a dab of extra garlic on mine.
Posted By: MnOutdoorsman

Re: frying catfish - 05/05/07 03:39 PM

By far the best way to cook them with out the mess

my buddy and i catch a ton of cats and what we do is fillet them and skin them put them in to tin foil with butter and lawry's salt cook for ten min on each side on a grill it smells great and tastes even better.... one late night we were out fishin cats and we fillet them and made it right there we we were fishin it was great.. its easys not messy cant get any better
Posted By: JeremyT

Re: frying catfish - 05/06/07 02:03 AM

Here's my recipe:

4 cups Yellow corn meal
3/4 cup flour
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder

Roll your catfish nuggets in it then deepfry.
Posted By: Skunkum

Re: frying catfish - 11/27/07 07:44 AM

Lots of good ways to cook up a catfish, but you asked about frying.

Simplest is sometimes the best! Chill dressed catfish in some salt water, no longer than overnight. Shake off water and roll in cornmeal (can dust cornmeal with salt and pepper). Fry in oil or melted shortening in cast iron skillet, turning once. Best served hot, leftovers are OK warmed in oven for breakfast.

Fancy is good, too! Again, chill dressed catfish in some salt water, no longer than overnight. This works best if fish is chunks, steaks or fillets (not whole fish). Pat fish dry and dip in buttemilk, roll in mix of 1/2 flour, 1/2 cracker crumbs. Fry as above.
Posted By: davidj5491

Re: frying catfish - 12/06/07 08:36 PM

A 50/50 mix of white corn meal and ky kernel works real well.
Posted By: ingvalsone

Re: frying catfish - 02/29/08 03:36 PM

I deep fry mine with "Shore Lunch". I buy it at gander mount.
Posted By: kseric

Re: frying catfish - 05/01/08 06:44 AM

soak fillets in saltwater over night,trim off ALL red/pink meat,pat dry,dredge or shake in ZATARAINS (.97 cents a bag at most grocery stores),throw in "frydaddy" till golden brown.been catchin' n eat'n catfish for 35 yrs,can't beat it!
Posted By: Andrew Smith

Re: frying catfish - 05/27/08 04:23 AM

Is there a difference in taste between river catfish and pond catfish? I heard that pond fish don't have as clean as water, so then their taste isn't as good as a fish in clean flowing river water.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: frying catfish - 06/03/08 05:18 AM

If you will keep the fish meat in ICE water right up to the time your ready to dredge or how ever your going to do it the fish will come out really flakey when its dun
Posted By: fjpk111

Re: frying catfish - 07/13/08 02:42 PM

Has anyone ever had a problem with the catfish being rubbery after ya cook it? I'm not sure whats up but they look and feel fine before you cook them, i'ved had it happen when cookin a mess of them. not all are rubbery and they were fixed the same way and caught from the same water .
Posted By: half pint

Re: frying catfish - 08/03/08 12:38 PM

we do some jugg'n and bank line'n on a small lake near home every summer ..
as soon as i boat a fish i gut them and put them on ice ...
next morning i skin and fillet them ..chunk them up and soak them in salt water for a few hour's ..then i fill my sink up with fresh ice water and cut up a couple oranges and squeeze the juice in the ice water ..after a few hour's of soaking ..we either freeze them in bag's with water or we have a fry ..
we use mcormick beer batter most of the time ..they come out great every time...
Posted By: trapper0234

Re: frying catfish - 01/20/11 03:58 AM

If the fillet is rubbery, then you over cooked it. When I deep fry my catfish fillets, I rinse fillets and put in gallon zip lock bag with McCormicks fish fry mix and shake. Deep fry fillets for 4 minutes (no longer unless the fillets are really thick). The key to cooking fish is not to over cook. Fish don't take long to cook at all.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums