No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Yes sir] #6500958
03/25/19 06:32 PM
03/25/19 06:32 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Online happy
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Online Happy
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Yes sir

As far as I'm concerned the thought that ur going stop an attack of a pit with any of those methods when the dog is is in attack mode shows their ignorance of what a dog like a pit can do. As far as tapping one on the nose just think about how hard it is to do with a k-9 in a trap. With a dog attack u have about 2 tenths of a second from the time hes close enough until hes on u. Then u have hit right on the nose also. Not good odds.

I'm speaking from experience but thanks for pretending you know me.

-Goofy-
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500964
03/25/19 06:39 PM
03/25/19 06:39 PM
PA
cndgmn Offline
"Alphabet"
cndgmn  Offline
"Alphabet"

PA
As a last resort those methods are better than doing nothing.

I've handled Pitts and have seen a couple dog fights up close.These dogs are savage when attacking.I'll stick with something that breaks whatever it hits,the spine is also a much bigger target.Thats if I'm unable to use a gun.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6500973
03/25/19 06:53 PM
03/25/19 06:53 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

As far as I'm concerned the thought that ur going stop an attack of a pit with any of those methods when the dog is is in attack mode shows their ignorance of what a dog like a pit can do. As far as tapping one on the nose just think about how hard it is to do with a k-9 in a trap. With a dog attack u have about 2 tenths of a second from the time hes close enough until hes on u. Then u have hit right on the nose also. Not good odds.

I'm speaking from experience but thanks for pretending you know me.

I don't believe he was addressing you .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500991
03/25/19 07:12 PM
03/25/19 07:12 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Thank you Aaron. And no Hobbie I wasnt responding to you and my apology for not being clearer about it.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501011
03/25/19 07:33 PM
03/25/19 07:33 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Swampfox, the owner wasn't home and they dug out under a yard fence.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501024
03/25/19 07:43 PM
03/25/19 07:43 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501047
03/25/19 08:06 PM
03/25/19 08:06 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
That is funny, I have seen that before.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501050
03/25/19 08:11 PM
03/25/19 08:11 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I'm somewhat surprised some of the southern boys here haven't chimes in about rolln dogs and how antis are against it.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: RM trapper] #6501064
03/25/19 08:27 PM
03/25/19 08:27 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by RM trapper
A guy brought one to the local softball game Thursday and it bit my buddies 8 yr old girl. This creep starts acting like it wasn't the dogs fault. Don't trust any of them

If that was my 8 yr old daughter and the punk wasnt 100% apologetic AFTER i killed his mutt , i think i would have to give him a pounding .

Report a post club - Non member

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Pike River] #6501066
03/25/19 08:29 PM
03/25/19 08:29 PM
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Pike River
I'm somewhat surprised some of the southern boys here haven't chimes in about rolln dogs and how antis are against it.

This ain't the NFL.

-Goofy-
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501068
03/25/19 08:30 PM
03/25/19 08:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Southern boy here...I discuss with all landowners about “incidentals” and tell them straight up if it has a collar it gets a pass. If I have to fight it it doesn’t get a pass. Have yet to catch anything collared. The only nice dog was a Lab and I talked to it the entire time. It even got up and gave me a thankful rub on the leg before leaving. Unfortunately most are uncollared, skin and bones, and have some sort of pit in them. I think I’d rather run into a pack of coyotes than these incidentals. Some will take a choke stick from you and I’ve got a stout choke stick. It’s not something I enjoy, but in these instances it’s what needs to be done. These packs don’t run in the middle of the night on 2700ac just for fun, they are out for food. I don’t get mad at the incidentals, I get mad at the owners who either allow this to happen or for dropping them off in the middle of nowhere and think they’ll just blend right in with nature. And when I say packs, it generally consist of an Alpha male and female and maybe one younger female and the rest are all males. Most packs consist of 6-8. Yes, they are a bad problem.

If the truth is not allowed, just delete. Not wanting to cause an issue.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 03/25/19 08:32 PM.
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Wanna Be] #6501124
03/25/19 09:11 PM
03/25/19 09:11 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Southern boy here...I discuss with all landowners about “incidentals” and tell them straight up if it has a collar it gets a pass. If I have to fight it it doesn’t get a pass. Have yet to catch anything collared. The only nice dog was a Lab and I talked to it the entire time. It even got up and gave me a thankful rub on the leg before leaving. Unfortunately most are uncollared, skin and bones, and have some sort of pit in them. I think I’d rather run into a pack of coyotes than these incidentals. Some will take a choke stick from you and I’ve got a stout choke stick. It’s not something I enjoy, but in these instances it’s what needs to be done. These packs don’t run in the middle of the night on 2700ac just for fun, they are out for food. I don’t get mad at the incidentals, I get mad at the owners who either allow this to happen or for dropping them off in the middle of nowhere and think they’ll just blend right in with nature. And when I say packs, it generally consist of an Alpha male and female and maybe one younger female and the rest are all males. Most packs consist of 6-8. Yes, they are a bad problem.

I'm kinda confused by the verbage here.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Yes sir] #6501131
03/25/19 09:15 PM
03/25/19 09:15 PM
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Thank you Aaron. And no Hobbie I wasnt responding to you and my apology for not being clearer about it.

It's all good. I was too quick to jump on "those methods." My apologies.

-Goofy-
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501134
03/25/19 09:16 PM
03/25/19 09:16 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
You're a good man, Hobbie.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Wanna Be] #6501147
03/25/19 09:28 PM
03/25/19 09:28 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

I'm picking up what your puttin down .

Report a post club - Non member

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Yes sir] #6501243
03/25/19 10:43 PM
03/25/19 10:43 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by patfundine
Most of the dog problems are directly traced back to the owners.

Here's a bit of advice if you ever find yourself a victim of a dog attack.
1 get your hand under the collar and twist - no air = no more fight. They let up really fast and submit.

2 a good fist to the nose will really slow them down also.

3 stand your ground, don't show them any fear. Make them rethink their decision to attack.

Do you think these things would work on a pit when they attack?

This logic probably works very well with 99% of dogs, but not pits. I've seen them still hold tight with there eye poked completely out and bowels hanging from their belly. I think the more the animal fights, the more they like it.

Also, other dogs such as dalmatians, chows, dobermans, curs, leopards, terriers, what have you that are known for biting don't bite like pits. Pits can be quick as a cat and I think it is engraved in there DNA to go for the head/face/throat area; even if they have to jump high to get there. I have only seen one pit in my life that caught on the leg, and he got dealt with accordingly. All the rest all did it very naturally and never had to be trained as to where on the body to catch.

I can't imagine being grabbed by the throat or face by one of those dogs. No way I would ever be able to fight back. I would be down within seconds and dead within minutes.

Those other dogs might give you a butt cut or a sore ankle even if it takes you several minutes to fight them off, but not a pit. Even if one is lucky enough to survive an attack to the upper body area, I imagine it would require a lot of plastic and corrective surgery; as well as, months if not years of rehabilitation. They are a tool with a very specific job set that has a mind of its own, not a pet.

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501245
03/25/19 10:46 PM
03/25/19 10:46 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
^^^ Precisely .

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501246
03/25/19 10:50 PM
03/25/19 10:50 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
I've been nipped by a yellow dog ( my friend's name for Black mouth curs ) during a catch melee. Nothing dedicated , just an excited dog trying to get back in the mix. But never a catch dog. You can tell cause I'm typing this.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501275
03/25/19 11:32 PM
03/25/19 11:32 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
You guys ever wonder why MOST ( cause you always have that exception ) sporting dog breeds aren't people aggressive ? It's been bred out of them . Think about it. You own a large game bird area with a very high paying clientele . They like to come there with THEIR high paying clientele. How well do you think that'd go with releasing a brace of very surly dogs running around ? So, that aspect was bred out of them . They're bred to work with and in close proximity to people .

Most hounds ( again , occasionally , you'll find a hard case . But , generally, it's the exception.) are so prey driven that they're kind of apathetic towards people. They wanna chase and live for the chase . How many of us have seen a good trail hound just kinda go " whatever" shortly after they've gotten to mouth down on game after a chase ? Granted , I've seen young hounds fight over a carcass . But It's short lived. They're ready to get on after the next one.

But pits . They're bred to catch, hold, and maybe kill. That's fine on a powerfully built pig. Works perfect. As long as that's where their energy is focused. That same energy focused on a human child has ghastly results. Full grown person for that matter. We humans tear easily. Further , as evidenced by Danny's granddaughter 's pony , unchecked, they'll go looking for a target.

One breed i haven't quite figured out is the Great Pyrenees. They definitely assume ownership of their animals , people , and property but I haven't observed one out roaming for trouble. And they can be very intimidating if you're an interloper. But they ( again, just from the ones I've seen ) seem to send a lot of signals that you're trespassing and not welcome to come any further and back off once they know you've gotten the message. Fascinating dogs.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6501284
03/25/19 11:46 PM
03/25/19 11:46 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Incidentally, I don't see Great Pyrenees on the lists of dog attacks. Seems they're effective at conveying their message.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread