No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210042
04/06/18 04:11 PM
04/06/18 04:11 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
NO child left behind was the beginning of the end of education as WE that are posting on here remember it. When the teachers were FORCED to dumb down the material so little johnny wouldn't feel left out the students that wanted to excel were becoming bored. Can't hurt little johnnys feelings by retaining him so he could get the answers right. They just changed the answers !!! Plus now with the teachers getting younger and younger they came up thru a system that was altered. The older teachers got so frustrated they just retired or quit. This world is so skewed toward "feelings" that reality gets ignored.

This I think has hurt test scores. Lack of administration money control is another problem

As for people on here , some are just crotchety old gezures that have not been near a school for 50 years . They think Jimmy Hoffa is sitting on a beach in cuba. And the moon is made out of cheese...............

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210044
04/06/18 04:12 PM
04/06/18 04:12 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Went through the process of consolidation when I was in high school. Only thing it produced was a move out of the district for those who could afford it. For the blue collar family it was welcome to the hood.
Not just schools, or teacher. but society in general is failing our students. When a spanking is abuse, God is a "dirty" word in public schools, and youtube raises our children there's no wonder today's youth are snorting condoms and eating Tide pods.

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: Dirt] #6210051
04/06/18 04:16 PM
04/06/18 04:16 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
I doubt AntiGov listened although the possibility is there.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6210056
04/06/18 04:19 PM
04/06/18 04:19 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
Originally Posted By: racerboy108
I think another major problem with our education system is the curriculum itself. What's being taught does not fit all kids.

I always said there is book smart and than there is hands on smart. Big difference between the two.

The hands on kids are the ones getting left behind and its not their fault.

Wind the schools back 50 years and teach the basics and bring back the hands on classes so many schools have gotten rid of.

Truth is the hands on training is where common sense is developed.

Actually they are NOT being left behind like they used to be. This is what keeps many other kids from further advancing their education. You see when teachers have to deal with the slow book learners, instead of sending them out to other classes, they can not push the fast learners to their full potential. Same for the kids who act up. You can't just kick them out of school, or put them in special rooms, they are required to be included in the classrooms which not only makes the teacher's jobs harder but distracts and detracts from what the other kids can learn.

Teaching these days is to prepare kids to be able to solve problems with methods as opposed to training them certain skills. This is the type education kids in other countries are learning that you all claim are so much better because they rank above the US. BUT at the same time they only test their good students, the ones that struggle are sent to other schools or just out of school. It's another example of making the polls fit your agenda.

You are so right . I worked for my local school system and SAW with my own eyes a handicapped child in a coma state that was in a regular classroom. Special ed kids in high school algebra . They had no ideal what was going on. The teachers were required to give 2 sets of lesson plans. Then wasn't allowed to grade it because it was wrong. THESE same kids were given the same test and their scores are included in the "testing" that says we are dumb !!
You can't fix stupid so ADC just ignore some ..................

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: harrison72] #6210057
04/06/18 04:20 PM
04/06/18 04:20 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The below link does a short description of the very good book written by this author. She is not an educator so she brought no education system bias to this book.
I would encourage you to read the book and find out the basic differences and expectations, many of which are directed at selecting education major candidates and also revenues to compensate them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...m=.23e3d1e8316a

Many here talk about the illegal strike and lets say it is but in our modern polarized world little to no attention will be given unless more severe methods are taken.
Sure 6 K is a great offer and they wanted 10K. The real story maybe if they offered nothing for a decade and quickly tossed out 6K they are really saying we had the funds all along we just did not want to grant them to you. Now that is out in the open as well.
In WI we had nearly a billion pulled from Public k-12 about 6-7 years ago. About 300 million has been brought back into the system from the state. The amount of spending today is about the same as it would have been if the 900 million or so would have stayed but what is taking place is that referendums are being passed and local taxes raised along with cuts so the lower spending districts are actually taxing themselves more or twice to maintain their schools. Now that the more formal contractual pay scale is gone the lower income, mostly rural districts can not compete salary or compensation wise with the wealthy suburban districts and the teachers that are motivated to move and capture the larger compensation are doing so which lowers positions and quality in our less financially sound districts. The plight of our smaller rural districts is really only beginning here and staff transitions are really rapidly increasing and the numbers of those entering into the education career has dropped by 20-30% depending upon the university that one looks at.

Bryce

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210071
04/06/18 04:38 PM
04/06/18 04:38 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
So Bryce, you agree with the problem of low standards for becoming an educator contributing to a sub par public education system?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210104
04/06/18 05:05 PM
04/06/18 05:05 PM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
Some of you are in denial and will go down fighting for our current education system. But yet it's evident it's failing and yet all the blame is put on the dumb kids as you guys put it.

Schools like government have been going down the wrong road for a very long time and it has nothing to do with the kids.

Teachers and administration don't get respect for a reason. Maybe they should think about why? Or just keep blaming parents and kids for it.

I don't consider myself anti teacher but more at just seeing the problems from my perspective. Teachers only see it from theirs. Never will change till eyes are open.

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: racerboy108] #6210109
04/06/18 05:16 PM
04/06/18 05:16 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Not nearly as much as you may think but yes I do feel we could do a much better job screening candidates for education majors but then we need to reward them accordingly and also consider respecting their careers enough so they would choose education over other options that citizens feel are more valuable or at least would consider that an education degree or career may be a credible profession. Many times we get what we are asking for and then carp about what we got.
Having been in and around the profession from a teaching, administration, board and active in retired educator groups I have heard much about the good, bad and ugly regarding teaching and teachers and the one thing that gets me the most upset is the patronizing and UNCLE TOM (not you Bryce but you know all those others, blah, blah, blah)which tells me where hearts and minds really are.
Bryce

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210124
04/06/18 05:35 PM
04/06/18 05:35 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Bryce in my opinion the way to make any organization better is to have high standards. It would appear that teachers have little respect from their college peers. There is a reason.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: Dirt] #6210130
04/06/18 05:47 PM
04/06/18 05:47 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Could you imagine the uproar id you were going to offer enough compensation to draw people from engineering, nursing, CPA, MBA etc. to teach in our public schools? Many realize they will revolve many staff, but continue to offer compensation that won't change the bar.
As to college entrance or majors it is interesting that the defaming starts at age 18 or 19 and thus that is a hard cultural aspect to change.

Bryce

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: bblwi] #6210132
04/06/18 05:49 PM
04/06/18 05:49 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted By: bblwi
The below link does a short description of the very good book written by this author. She is not an educator so she brought no education system bias to this book.
I would encourage you to read the book and find out the basic differences and expectations, many of which are directed at selecting education major candidates and also revenues to compensate them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...m=.23e3d1e8316a

Many here talk about the illegal strike and lets say it is but in our modern polarized world little to no attention will be given unless more severe methods are taken.
Sure 6 K is a great offer and they wanted 10K. The real story maybe if they offered nothing for a decade and quickly tossed out 6K they are really saying we had the funds all along we just did not want to grant them to you. Now that is out in the open as well.
In WI we had nearly a billion pulled from Public k-12 about 6-7 years ago. About 300 million has been brought back into the system from the state. The amount of spending today is about the same as it would have been if the 900 million or so would have stayed but what is taking place is that referendums are being passed and local taxes raised along with cuts so the lower spending districts are actually taxing themselves more or twice to maintain their schools. Now that the more formal contractual pay scale is gone the lower income, mostly rural districts can not compete salary or compensation wise with the wealthy suburban districts and the teachers that are motivated to move and capture the larger compensation are doing so which lowers positions and quality in our less financially sound districts. The plight of our smaller rural districts is really only beginning here and staff transitions are really rapidly increasing and the numbers of those entering into the education career has dropped by 20-30% depending upon the university that one looks at.

Bryce
I coulda swore all those teachers standing on the Capitals steps acting like children said, "its not about the money, its about the kids".

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: Diggerman] #6210156
04/06/18 06:27 PM
04/06/18 06:27 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The situation will resolve itself and if you live in a small rural area with a lower tax base and decreasing population your school district will struggle to maintain a qualified staff no matter what the base levels may be high or low.

Bryce

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210233
04/06/18 08:06 PM
04/06/18 08:06 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Same old story. A hundred reasons why schools don't have enough money. If they would say your kid can have his 8 grand sent to the school of his choice, private schools would open everywhere, it would be the end of public schools and the private schools would be showing a profit and actually educating children

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: ~ADC~] #6210305
04/06/18 09:35 PM
04/06/18 09:35 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: ~ADC~
You anti-teachers can have this post now. I tried to teach, and just like most of you don't understand, some people are unteachable. lol

My understanding is the superintendent at my local school makes $180,000.00 per year and starting school teachers make $27,000.00. Simple the board of education needs to clean it's own house plain and simple. P.S. there's only about 600 students. I think before it's said and done the school teachers will completely kill the economy... I heard a rumor that a superintendent in Tulsa county is making close to a million a year. I think the corruption is just to great and the Teachers aren't smart enough to Know who is actually screwing them. Or they are so stupid they Honestly believe they can rise to the political top dawg!

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: danny clifton] #6210307
04/06/18 09:37 PM
04/06/18 09:37 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Same old story. A hundred reasons why schools don't have enough money. If they would say your kid can have his 8 grand sent to the school of his choice, private schools would open everywhere, it would be the end of public schools and the private schools would be showing a profit and actually educating children

Take a look at Junior Colleges! And the kids actually get an education!!! Or they party out!!!

Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: Rcates] #6210334
04/06/18 10:04 PM
04/06/18 10:04 PM
NW Oklahoma
okie4570 Offline
trapper
okie4570  Offline
trapper

NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Rcates
School consolidation was the final nail in the coffin to kill small towns in my area. With some of the small town school rivalries dating way back it makes for some ugly adjustments for all involved.

This happened in NW OK in the 70's and 80's, and as bad as it sounds it desperately needs to happen again.

Spending time with your kids in the woods, is far better than any vacation!
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #6210350
04/06/18 10:19 PM
04/06/18 10:19 PM
NW Oklahoma
okie4570 Offline
trapper
okie4570  Offline
trapper

NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Brother , not every little , bitty community needs a K-12 school . And a classroom of 25 kids won’t kill anyone.

Rural schools can have their K-8 , everyone attends the same high school .

I wish Oklahoma , and that’s who we’re discussing here , would follow Missouri’s example.

BTW, the competition argument was awful . Life is a competition , that lesson might as well be learned early , too.

This absolutely needs to happen. Freedom Public schools has less than 80 students k-12, and is fully staffed. Billings is the same, only less than 60 students. Originally Billings was asked to consolidate with Red Rock, and be apart of Frontier Public Schools, but they turned their nose to the idea. Shortly after that, OGE built their Sooner Power Plant near by, and Frontier sits on a muli million dollar facility, state of the art everything, and a multi million dollar football field and stadium.........yet they've never had a football team, or have any desire to have one lol. Aline-Cleo Public schools, already consolidated in the 80's still has less than 100 students k-12. They need to be going to Timberlake (which is a consolidation of Jet, Nash, Goltry and Helena) or Fairview. Kremlin-Hillsdale, consolidated in the 70's a very large percentage of Enid students, they have several buses that drive to and from Enid everyday................ I could go on with Drummond, which is just a few miles from Cimarron, which is Lahoma and the Ames area......easily combined. Pioneer-Pleasant Vale? The same, on the outskirts of Enid and Waukomis, another one that shouldn't exist.

Enid Public Schools has a Superintendent yet also has a sup for the high school, for the middle schools and the elementary schools.......... 4 sups. This is all just within the Garfield county and surrounding area, is it like this in the other three corners of the state?

Spending time with your kids in the woods, is far better than any vacation!
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210360
04/06/18 10:26 PM
04/06/18 10:26 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
This !!

It's beyond maddening !

I want to see one picket sign that says , " Save a teacher ! Fire a Super !! "

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210390
04/06/18 10:58 PM
04/06/18 10:58 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Not a huge fan of consolidation... But sometime back there was talk of consolidating a handful of the local districts in a central location (next to the Vo-Tech campus) but it didn't go anywhere.

There are 6 high schools in Ottawa county. Each has its own superintendent making 100+k a year, benefits, and a district vehicle... I bet we could get by with two, possibly one and save a decent amount of money.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Illegal teacher strike [Re: AntiGov] #6210394
04/06/18 11:00 PM
04/06/18 11:00 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I wonder what state will see a strike next.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread