No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170416
02/25/18 10:16 PM
02/25/18 10:16 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
When I was a kid my mother would have us hide and be quiet when the Jehovas Witnesses were in the neighborhood. In my parents old neighborhood, the Jehovas Witnesses were always well dressed, black people. Years later, when I was in college, my girlfriend told me that her mother always had her and her siblings hide and be quiet too. The Jehovas Witnesses in her neighborhood were all well dressed, white people.

We had more trouble with Baptist stopping by and trying to convert us. They did not dress up as much and were harder to notice.

As an adult, I have been pestered by Jehovas Witnesses, Baptist, Mormons and Church of God. I rile the dogs up before answering the door. I am fairly polite, but tell them I am not interested and quickly close the door. So far they don't keep knocking. When I was a kid, the Jehovas Witnesses would knock over and over, even when my mother shut the door on them.

I really don't like it when people intrude on my property to try to convert me, sell me something or ask for donations. I think the same people frequently are actually thieves casing properties to rob. They are all thieves of my time.

Keith

Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170526
02/25/18 11:26 PM
02/25/18 11:26 PM
Central California
R
Rimrock1 Offline
trapper
Rimrock1  Offline
trapper
R

Central California
Just keep a religious pamphlet handy and tell them that you will read theirs if they will read yours. THEY WILL NOT TRADE!

Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170684
02/26/18 07:33 AM
02/26/18 07:33 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Their bible(new world translation) which was wrote in the 1960's is a little different than my Lutheran one wrote in approx. 1600's. They don't believe in the Trinity, heaven 4 u,and just believing in Jesus as your savior will not get u saved, u must work for your salvation. That's why their out spreading their word. Pretty old school as far as dress(coat & tie/long dresses) and kids r well disciplined. Won't have to worry about any of them shooting kids at schools! When they showed up we had bible study and they dont show up any more!

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170916
02/26/18 11:28 AM
02/26/18 11:28 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
yeah, their Bible is a very late translation... Jesus is a Good Profit is all to them

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170921
02/26/18 11:32 AM
02/26/18 11:32 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tweed Offline
trapper
Tweed  Offline
trapper

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
They believe Jesus is the Son of God and died for all of mankinds sins. I think they're considered "fundelmentalist" because they have a pretty literal understanding of the Bible and strive align their beliefs and lives with early Christians (hence not celebrating holidays except for the last supper).

Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170961
02/26/18 12:26 PM
02/26/18 12:26 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
I had a pair of JW's come to my door last Friday, I do not do any of the stuff some of you have mentioned, when they came to the door I greeted them politely and they said their opening line and I told them my wife and I were Orthodox Christians and we had a little 5-10 minute conversation on the state of the world and that God and faith are the answers and we said our goodbyes, the girl read a few scriptures to me after she asked my permission which I granted (who doesn't like to hear uplifting words from God?). They were very nice people who are, I am sure, way better Christians than me and want to bring a little light into the dark world we live in today. I am always an optimist and it always nice to see good people trying to do good things. Just because they don't share my exact faith doesn't mean they should be shunned.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6170986
02/26/18 12:58 PM
02/26/18 12:58 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
I have always had an interest in understanding the sometimes subtle differences between all the different faiths, be it JWs, Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalian, and even Baptists and Pentacostals which are the two odd ones for my area. No sense living in fear or ignorance. It's alright to listen to folks to gain that understanding, and you'll have no problem doing it if you can stand firm in your own convictions.

I was brought up Catholic myself, and that and Lutheran are the two most prominent faiths up here .

Last edited by trapper les; 02/26/18 01:00 PM.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6171096
02/26/18 02:53 PM
02/26/18 02:53 PM
western alaska
Malukchuk Offline
trapper
Malukchuk  Offline
trapper

western alaska
Hang this on your door :

NO SOLICITING
WE ARE TOO BROKE TO BUY ANYTHING,
WE KNOW WHO WE ARE VOTING FOR,
WE HAVE FOUND JESUS,
SERIOUSLY UNLESS YOU ARE GIVING AWAY BEER,
PLEASE
GO AWAY

Water is good for two things, Floating Ships and making Beer.
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #6171186
02/26/18 04:35 PM
02/26/18 04:35 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted By: silkyplainscoyot
Sounds like a joke to me. Everyone I've had an experience with has a topic for discussion or a scripture to share.

I agree, I'm sure it is. They never send someone out who isn't well prepared to share their version of the bible.

Must be nice to eat ice cream as fast as you want and not have to worry about brain freeze.
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6171282
02/26/18 06:38 PM
02/26/18 06:38 PM
Northern Ohio ...
S
Sullivan K Offline
"Keith"
Sullivan K  Offline
"Keith"
S

Northern Ohio ...
The Jehovah witnesses I have met have not been pushy at all. Rather nice people. All you Christians sure are very quick to put down another believer. I had two women stop by last summer. We sat on my front porch and talked for about a half hour. I told them what I believed and they told me what they believed. About a month later they stopped by again, and we sat on the porch and talked for about a half hour. We had a discussion and I told them what I believed. They have not been back since.
Once, maybe 25 yeas ago, a couple of Jehovah witnesses stopped by. I had just gotten home from squirrel hunting. I pulled in the driveway and grabbed two dead squirrels out of the car along with my rifle. They pulled up and got out of their car, with me holding the dead squirrels and my rifle. We had a very nice little talk for a few minutes. The dead squirrels and gun did not bother them one bit. Another time I was in the middle of skinning a beaver. There was a knock of the door, I was skinning in the back room of the house, and it was a couple of witnesses, My hands were bloody and covered with dirt from skinning. I was a pretty grungy fellow. I invited them in and they watched me finish skinning the beaver and thought it was pretty cool. They were actually a couple of pretty young gals and I never would have thought they we have been so at ease with the skinning, but it didn't bother them at all.

You people are way to sensitive if you let the Jehovah witnesses bother you. Belly up and be a Christian and talk to them. The ones I have met are really very nice folks.

My name ain't Keith
Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Nittany Lion] #6171318
02/26/18 07:28 PM
02/26/18 07:28 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
LOL! I actually do ask them to come in. Offer them drinks and stuff, and tell them they can always come by when ever they want as long as they don't bring up religion.They come back some times, and wave when they ride by. Nice people.

Re: A Knock At The Door [Re: Tweed] #6171352
02/26/18 07:50 PM
02/26/18 07:50 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: Tweed
They believe Jesus is the Son of God and died for all of mankinds sins. I think they're considered "fundelmentalist" because they have a pretty literal understanding of the Bible and strive align their beliefs and lives with early Christians

above is ACTUALLY HOW INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTALIST believe and who only use the King James.

BELOW is how the JW's believe.

(hence not celebrating holidays except for the last supper).

so you have a combination of sorts.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread