No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6045382
11/04/17 10:47 PM
11/04/17 10:47 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Never used cages but just seems logical that it would be easier to get a cat to step on a pan of a trap than to walk into a confined space. As far as weatherproofing, a exposed trap with a enlarged pan takes a lot of weather. Not saying that cages don't have a place.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6045431
11/04/17 11:43 PM
11/04/17 11:43 PM
Virginia/Texas
B
BanjoBill Offline
trapper
BanjoBill  Offline
trapper
B

Virginia/Texas
I use cages along with footholds, body grips and snares. A cage is just another tool that has its place.

Bill Wright
Wright's Wildlife Control
(254) 371-5839
www.wrightswildlifecontrol.com
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: wy.wolfer] #6045459
11/05/17 12:47 AM
11/05/17 12:47 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: wy.wolfer
Just stack any kind of brush or natural covering on top and this will alleviate any problems with snow, rain, or freezing conditions putting your cage trap out of working condition. This alone makes them better than legholds for some purposes. Also helps conceal your traps very well, almost impossible for anyone else to find.
Good info. Thanks

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: AJE] #6045469
11/05/17 01:25 AM
11/05/17 01:25 AM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
Originally Posted By: AJE
Originally Posted By: wy.wolfer
Just stack any kind of brush or natural covering on top and this will alleviate any problems with snow, rain, or freezing conditions putting your cage trap out of working condition. This alone makes them better than legholds for some purposes. Also helps conceal your traps very well, almost impossible for anyone else to find.
Good info. Thanks

Wrap black plastic around top and sides then camoflage for best results

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6045473
11/05/17 01:38 AM
11/05/17 01:38 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I've used tree bark to provide a natural covering.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: Yes sir] #6045751
11/05/17 11:10 AM
11/05/17 11:10 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Yes sir
Never used cages but just seems logical that it would be easier to get a cat to step on a pan of a trap than to walk into a confined space. As far as weatherproofing, a exposed trap with a enlarged pan takes a lot of weather. Not saying that cages don't have a place.

And you probably don't want to go setting a bunch of cages out In the open spaces. So I'm assuming that cages are more location specific. While you can place foot holds no matter what.
I've caught cats In cage traps but foot holds are more effective.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: The Beav] #6045770
11/05/17 11:39 AM
11/05/17 11:39 AM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted By: The Beav
Originally Posted By: Yes sir

And you probably don't want to go setting a bunch of cages out In the open spaces. So I'm assuming that cages are more location specific. While you can place foot holds no matter what.
I've caught cats In cage traps but foot holds are more effective.
Every tool has it's place and purpose, snares, footholds, cages.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6046184
11/05/17 08:32 PM
11/05/17 08:32 PM
Central IL
LeviSS Offline OP
trapper
LeviSS  Offline OP
trapper

Central IL
I might buy or make one, just to see what it's like.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6046253
11/05/17 09:19 PM
11/05/17 09:19 PM
north Mississippi
M
Marty Harmon Offline
trapper
Marty Harmon  Offline
trapper
M

north Mississippi
I started using cages several years ago because of my work hours. I always trapped beaver because it didn't matter that I couldn't check traps until late afternoon. Then I started using cages for bobcats since I could check them late and not worry about damage, etc. I played around for several years until I came up with a system that worked for me. I would place the skinned beaver carcasses in 'catty' looking places and check on them every day or so. When one would be covered with pine needles, leaves, and such I would be sure it was a cat. I would uncover the beaver carcass, drag it four or five feet away. Then I would dig a hole big enough for the beaver to be just under ground level. I then place a cat sized cage trap over the hole with the beaver just past or underneath the petal. It seemed to help if I dug a small hole just to the side of the door and added a cat dropping with a little pee or gland lure. You would be surprised how many cats I would catch the first night, and very seldom non-target species. I attribute it to the fact that the cat that covered it knows exactly where it is, and now thinks another stole his cache. While other non-target animals have trouble smelling the beaver under the cage.

Most of the time I could give a pretty good guess as to what hit on the beaver. When it disappeared completely, with a small drag trail, then guts, then disappeared....almost always coyote. When the beaver is largely eaten at the place I left it, most of the time it would be dogs..... When small portions of it are eaten it was usually coon, possum, or fox. When it's covered almost always cats. You can place several stations out and catch some pretty good catches since you don't have the traps out unless you already have a participant. It's harder to keep the carcasses from being discovered by buzzards than anything else, try to keep under thick canopy like cut-over timber. When the buzzards do find it you'll know by the feathers, or them hanging out nearby.... They hardly ever leave until everything has been picked clean.

My protruding parts not caught by a trap*****yet****ears, nose, and left testicle.
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6046645
11/06/17 08:27 AM
11/06/17 08:27 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
I started using cages several years ago because of my work hours. I always trapped beaver because it didn't matter that I couldn't check traps until late afternoon. Then I started using cages for bobcats since I could check them late and not worry about damage, etc. I played around for several years until I came up with a system that worked for me. I would place the skinned beaver carcasses in 'catty' looking places and check on them every day or so. When one would be covered with pine needles, leaves, and such I would be sure it was a cat. I would uncover the beaver carcass, drag it four or five feet away. Then I would dig a hole big enough for the beaver to be just under ground level. I then place a cat sized cage trap over the hole with the beaver just past or underneath the petal. It seemed to help if I dug a small hole just to the side of the door and added a cat dropping with a little pee or gland lure. You would be surprised how many cats I would catch the first night, and very seldom non-target species. I attribute it to the fact that the cat that covered it knows exactly where it is, and now thinks another stole his cache. While other non-target animals have trouble smelling the beaver under the cage.

Most of the time I could give a pretty good guess as to what hit on the beaver. When it disappeared completely, with a small drag trail, then guts, then disappeared....almost always coyote. When the beaver is largely eaten at the place I left it, most of the time it would be dogs..... When small portions of it are eaten it was usually coon, possum, or fox. When it's covered almost always cats. You can place several stations out and catch some pretty good catches since you don't have the traps out unless you already have a participant. It's harder to keep the carcasses from being discovered by buzzards than anything else, try to keep under thick canopy like cut-over timber. When the buzzards do find it you'll know by the feathers, or them hanging out nearby.... They hardly ever leave until everything has been picked clean.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6046688
11/06/17 09:31 AM
11/06/17 09:31 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
I like to wire a beaver carcass up off the ground to a tree 3-4 feet. If a cat is in the area they find it and have your cage around there also. I don't think cats are hard to cage if the cats are there. Get one brushed up, I like cedar if it's around and it's just another cubby set. You can hide cages pretty well and another thing is a lot of people would be surprised how close cats come to homes, farm buildings and other places where people are you might not want a foothold.

For you guys that can only catch one and might want to turn some loose using footholds, here's something to think about. If it's real cold when you catch that cat that foot is probably froze, no worries with a cage. All in all just another tool, they have their place.

Last edited by K52; 11/06/17 09:42 AM. Reason: added pic
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6051744
11/11/17 06:36 PM
11/11/17 06:36 PM
Central IL
LeviSS Offline OP
trapper
LeviSS  Offline OP
trapper

Central IL
I think I'm going to try one.

Where coons and possums are prevalent, how would you bait/lure the cage to try to exclude them?

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6051800
11/11/17 07:53 PM
11/11/17 07:53 PM
NW Oklahoma
okie4570 Offline
trapper
okie4570  Offline
trapper

NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: LeviSS
I think I'm going to try one.

Where coons and possums are prevalent, how would you bait/lure the cage to try to exclude them?

Keeping your cages away from the edge of heavy cover, but close enough for the cat to still set your set will help eliminate some skunk and opossum catches. Coons will find it no matter where you put it. I've caught a ton of cats in cages, and use cages primarily. If you can use duck/goose carcasses legally, find or become a duck hunter, and cat catches are almost certain. Brush them in or leave them in the open, I've caught them in both sets, sometimes in just wide open prairie.

Spending time with your kids in the woods, is far better than any vacation!
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6051839
11/11/17 08:19 PM
11/11/17 08:19 PM
NW Oklahoma
okie4570 Offline
trapper
okie4570  Offline
trapper

NW Oklahoma
Caught many at this location over the years, not brushed in, wide open draw between a creek and pond.

Spending time with your kids in the woods, is far better than any vacation!
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6117904
01/08/18 07:27 AM
01/08/18 07:27 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I tried a cage for about two weeks probably 20 years ago. Still have it. Haven't set it since.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6117920
01/08/18 07:54 AM
01/08/18 07:54 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Yes, I am turning more to cage traps here. Heavy snow in later season, and selective catch being the primary reasons. The sets are pretty much wolf proof, good thing here these days.
I'm still purchasing to add to those I have.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6118294
01/08/18 04:53 PM
01/08/18 04:53 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted By: LeviSS
Originally Posted By: Wolfdog91
[video:youtube]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtAohc2zZKRI&ved=0ahUKEwjb--7Lt6PXAhWI5oMKHTDKDqcQwqsBCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw3DbrZpzw1EwfXBhmDqgHSv[/video]
Her ya go man ,hope it helps

I've tried posting this link in Google to find it, but can't. Can you post the title of the YouTube video or you YouTube user name? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAohc2zZKRI&app=desktop

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #6118353
01/08/18 05:45 PM
01/08/18 05:45 PM
Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper
RiversNorth13  Offline
trapper

Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Cages can be great if your only allowed a cat or two .
Easy releases if you want to go for a different cat .
Not so much with bodygrips.

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #7716231
11/13/22 02:20 AM
11/13/22 02:20 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Cage traps are expensive. Setting more than a couple would get pricey, plus they take up a lot of storage space.

Last edited by AJE; 11/13/22 02:21 AM.
Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats [Re: LeviSS] #7716236
11/13/22 02:40 AM
11/13/22 02:40 AM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
In my state their are just too many sportsman in the wilds. I don't use them for threat of being taken. I only use cage traps around the farm buildings

Till that day.....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread