Home

Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats

Posted By: LeviSS

Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 03:18 PM

Are cage traps mainly used where foot holds are not legal or are they another effective set to add anywhere?

I'm in IL and drew a tag this year. I'm wondering if it's worth it to build/buy a couple cage traps or if I should just stick to my #2 and #3 coyote traps.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 03:27 PM

I would stick to what you have and are familiar with.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 03:33 PM

I can't imagine using a cage trap if you are allowed to use foot holds. From what I've heard from trappers forced to use cage traps only, it's not that easy to get an animal to go into a live trap.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 03:37 PM

For animals that cage easily like coons it's nice to have the option especially in urban areas.
As for cats cages give the option of excluding most canines (coyotes) but may pick up fox, coons and opossum.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 03:50 PM

If you have them use them but I would not go out and buy a cage it would not be worth it, foot traps #1 pick any day if legal. Seems here most cages don't produce as well as foot traps and when they do it's smaller cats.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 04:34 PM

Thanks guys. I don't really want to spend the money or time if they are less effective.

I was also worried I'd be catching coons and possums instead of cats.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 04:36 PM

Cages are nice if you want to be selective with whcih cat you ultimately harvest.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 05:28 PM

I know some that have good success with bobcats in cage traps. When I draw a tag, I intend to buy and set out at least 1 cage trap. Bobcat cage traps are pricey and bulky though, so I don't see myself going overboard.
Cable restraints work around here and are inexpensive.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LeviSS
Thanks guys. I don't really want to spend the money or time if they are less effective.

I was also worried I'd be catching coons and possums instead of cats.
u will still catch plenty of possums and coons with foot hold when targeting cats. Especially if u use bait or food base lure. When I target cats in my area I just expect I'm going to have to work through some possums and coons.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 05:56 PM

Worse thing a coon does to your bobcat cage is ruin your flagging inside the cage. Coon in your nondragged foothold ruins your entire set location.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 05:57 PM

I think when I get a highly coveted bobcat tag I may try to trap the crap out of the coons and opossums PRIOR to the cat opener.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 06:32 PM

I'm betting CRs will kill every cat you catch. I've killed cats just by using a choke stick to remove them from foot holds. They go down real easy.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 06:46 PM

I can't do snares on land in IL.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 07:37 PM

Gotta video on buildinghour own cage traps on Youtube if your intrested

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Wolfdog91
Gotta video on buildinghour own cage traps on Youtube if your intrested

Lay it on me.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 07:57 PM

Stick to using foot holds. Your options are so much better then using a cage trap.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 08:16 PM

There are any number of cat trappers in the west that use cages. Even in states where they aren't required. And some of these guys catch a decent number of cats.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 09:46 PM

Its good to release females and kittens. Females usually don't have a nice belly anyway.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 09:49 PM

For the most part this cat thing In the Midwest Is a trophy thing. It takes years to get a tag In WI so we probably aren't going to sell It. So color or lack of Isn't going to make any diffrence.

Releasing cats from foot holds Is not a problem. Cats don't fight a trap to hard and you don't see any foot damage on them.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 09:53 PM

Yeah, I'm keeping and tanning the first thing I catch. After that I will be pickier.

I'm also in the process of making a "release" pole.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 10:19 PM

[video:youtube]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtAohc2zZKRI&ved=0ahUKEwjb--7Lt6PXAhWI5oMKHTDKDqcQwqsBCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw3DbrZpzw1EwfXBhmDqgHSv[/video]
Her ya go man ,hope it helps

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 10:19 PM

[video:youtube]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtAohc2zZKRI&ved=0ahUKEwjb--7Lt6PXAhWI5oMKHTDKDqcQwqsBCCQwAA&usg=AOvVaw3DbrZpzw1EwfXBhmDqgHSv[/video]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Stick to using foot holds. Your options are so much better then using a cage trap.

x2
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 11:22 PM

In Kansas, foothold traps are very legal. Here is the bobcat pelt tagging report from a past year, showing how many cats were taken with various trapping methods. That particular year, a little under half as many cats were taken in cages (862), as were taken with foothold traps (1799). Some trappers evidently prefer using cages for bobcats, even when they don't have to.

I generally use footholds, but will also use a cage or two sometimes.

METHOD Number of Number of Percent of
Furharvesters* Bobcats taken Bobcats taken

TRAPPING
(1) Foothold Trap 469 1799 37.4%
(2) Body Grip Trap 142 336 7.0%
(3) Cage Trap 288 862 17.9%
(4) Snare 192 665 13.8%
SUB-TOTAL 1091 3662 76.1%

The table above doesn't show correctly, but hopefully you get the idea.

http://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Furharvesting

(Click on the above link, then click on Research Reports)

Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/03/17 11:28 PM

Cages work well for some species, poorly for others like coyotes. Coon and fox, they work really well, you can catch the heck out of marten and mink but it seems to really stress them out, I notice a bit of fur damage from back and forth, and back and forth, even dead in a fairly short period of time, less than a day for sure. Cages are tougher to tote around unless you trap from a vehicle that can be out in rough country. People here in Colorado have adapted to it.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 01:40 AM

Well........being from a cage trapping state I will throw in my two bits.

As stated cages can be very selective, kick out the ones you don't want, keep the ones you do.

A lot easier and safer trapping trailheads, close to houses, without making the headlines of the daily newspaper.

And will take ALOT of weather.
Posted By: Cliffy229

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: coloradocat
Well........being from a cage trapping state I will throw in my two bits.

As stated cages can be very selective, kick out the ones you don't want, keep the ones you do.

A lot easier and safer trapping trailheads, close to houses, without making the headlines of the daily newspaper.

Just make sure you can get back into your truck after you kick them out of your traps.
Posted By: Cougarw

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 02:28 AM

Here in nebr I can use any trap for cats, but I prefer cages. I don’t like using footholds during cat season because I have nothing but problems with frozen ground. Mine are 4’ long and big cats will go in them. I will get a lot of coon, possum and skunk that I have to thin out but the cats will show up first eventually. Even in nebr I can pick up 6 to 12 a yr, but I also run 7 doz cages. If you know where the cat is, set 2 or 3 and you’ll have him in a week or two.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 10:03 AM

Well........being from a cage trapping state I will throw in my two...

Few freeze ups is probably what you're talking about. Though I suppose fresh snow could keep the door from closing. Rain will wash away lure.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB
Worse thing a coon does to your bobcat cage is ruin your flagging inside the cage. Coon in your nondragged foothold ruins your entire set location.
Should flagging really go INside the cage?

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 10:10 AM

I'm betting CRs will kill every cat you catch. I've killed cats just by using a choke stick to remove them from foot holds. They go down real easy.
Interesting. I've not heard of a CR killing a bobcat. I figured they'd be there waiting, go cut the cable, and let 'em go. That's supposed to be a major advantage of a CR over a snare.
I knew ya can't be too careful with a cat in a release pole though.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 10:17 AM

Got several buddies around here that use cages on cats, very successful on them, and footholds are legal here.
One will literally run a trailer load of cages on several farms and only thing he carried is bottle of bobcat pee for remakes.
One of them is also an older fellow and doesn't have the hand strength he used to, it's way easier for him to set cages than strong footholds, he took 18 cats a couple seasons ago all in cages.
Cages are just another tool but in harsh late winter here when cats are at their best cages are extremely effective and sometimes about the only thing functional aside from snares.
Footholds are great but don't snub a cage just because footholds are legal too. I'm convinced cages are an awesome cat tool here in Midwest. You have to trap for cats targeting them on location and use the best tool to do that.
Also here we can't hang a feather close to a foothold, but it is legal in back of a cage.
Jim

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 10:20 AM

Good advice Jim.

Main problem is the cost of those cages, and the difficulty storing them.
Posted By: 316

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 12:46 PM

Don't use CRs for bobcats if you want to release them alive. If you set for coyote and have cats around sooner or later you will end up with a bobcat and if it is caught around the neck you will not have a live cat to release. The arteries that feed there brain run close to the surface on there neck and they go down fast. Footholds work well and they will be waiting for you to set them free if you choose. Never used cages for cats so all I can say about them is they are costly and having one stolen would not make my day.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Originally Posted By: SNIPERBBB
Should flagging really go INside the cage?

Yes it can go inside the cage.

Few freeze ups is probably what you're talking about. Though I suppose fresh snow could keep the door from closing. Rain will wash away lure.

Not if you know what your doing!!!! Obviously another person who's never done it, but knows everything about it!!

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 03:26 PM

I've tried posting this link in Google to find it, but can't. Can you post the title of the YouTube video or you YouTube user name? Thanks!

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 06:04 PM

a Few freeze ups is probably what you're talking about. Though I suppose fresh snow could keep the door from closing. Rain will wash away lure.
Just stack any kind of brush or natural covering on top and this will alleviate any problems with snow, rain, or freezing conditions putting your cage trap out of working condition. This alone makes them better than legholds for some purposes. Also helps conceal your traps very well, almost impossible for anyone else to find.
Posted By: mttrapperguy

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 09:27 PM

Cages are a great tool for bobcats. You can release kittens and females and harvest the big toms. You can also set in areas where footholds would cause big problems.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/04/17 09:42 PM

Sorry brother! My Channels the Black Trapper

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 01:31 AM

Some pictures of obe of mine

Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 02:47 AM

Never used cages but just seems logical that it would be easier to get a cat to step on a pan of a trap than to walk into a confined space. As far as weatherproofing, a exposed trap with a enlarged pan takes a lot of weather. Not saying that cages don't have a place.
Posted By: BanjoBill

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 03:43 AM

I use cages along with footholds, body grips and snares. A cage is just another tool that has its place.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: wy.wolfer
Just stack any kind of brush or natural covering on top and this will alleviate any problems with snow, rain, or freezing conditions putting your cage trap out of working condition. This alone makes them better than legholds for some purposes. Also helps conceal your traps very well, almost impossible for anyone else to find.
Good info. Thanks
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: wy.wolfer
Good info. Thanks

Wrap black plastic around top and sides then camoflage for best results

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 05:38 AM

I've used tree bark to provide a natural covering.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Yes sir
Never used cages but just seems logical that it would be easier to get a cat to step on a pan of a trap than to walk into a confined space. As far as weatherproofing, a exposed trap with a enlarged pan takes a lot of weather. Not saying that cages don't have a place.

And you probably don't want to go setting a bunch of cages out In the open spaces. So I'm assuming that cages are more location specific. While you can place foot holds no matter what.
I've caught cats In cage traps but foot holds are more effective.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/05/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Yes sir

And you probably don't want to go setting a bunch of cages out In the open spaces. So I'm assuming that cages are more location specific. While you can place foot holds no matter what.
I've caught cats In cage traps but foot holds are more effective.
Every tool has it's place and purpose, snares, footholds, cages.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/06/17 12:32 AM

I might buy or make one, just to see what it's like.
Posted By: Marty Harmon

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/06/17 01:19 AM

I started using cages several years ago because of my work hours. I always trapped beaver because it didn't matter that I couldn't check traps until late afternoon. Then I started using cages for bobcats since I could check them late and not worry about damage, etc. I played around for several years until I came up with a system that worked for me. I would place the skinned beaver carcasses in 'catty' looking places and check on them every day or so. When one would be covered with pine needles, leaves, and such I would be sure it was a cat. I would uncover the beaver carcass, drag it four or five feet away. Then I would dig a hole big enough for the beaver to be just under ground level. I then place a cat sized cage trap over the hole with the beaver just past or underneath the petal. It seemed to help if I dug a small hole just to the side of the door and added a cat dropping with a little pee or gland lure. You would be surprised how many cats I would catch the first night, and very seldom non-target species. I attribute it to the fact that the cat that covered it knows exactly where it is, and now thinks another stole his cache. While other non-target animals have trouble smelling the beaver under the cage.

Most of the time I could give a pretty good guess as to what hit on the beaver. When it disappeared completely, with a small drag trail, then guts, then disappeared....almost always coyote. When the beaver is largely eaten at the place I left it, most of the time it would be dogs..... When small portions of it are eaten it was usually coon, possum, or fox. When it's covered almost always cats. You can place several stations out and catch some pretty good catches since you don't have the traps out unless you already have a participant. It's harder to keep the carcasses from being discovered by buzzards than anything else, try to keep under thick canopy like cut-over timber. When the buzzards do find it you'll know by the feathers, or them hanging out nearby.... They hardly ever leave until everything has been picked clean.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/06/17 12:27 PM

Quote:
I started using cages several years ago because of my work hours. I always trapped beaver because it didn't matter that I couldn't check traps until late afternoon. Then I started using cages for bobcats since I could check them late and not worry about damage, etc. I played around for several years until I came up with a system that worked for me. I would place the skinned beaver carcasses in 'catty' looking places and check on them every day or so. When one would be covered with pine needles, leaves, and such I would be sure it was a cat. I would uncover the beaver carcass, drag it four or five feet away. Then I would dig a hole big enough for the beaver to be just under ground level. I then place a cat sized cage trap over the hole with the beaver just past or underneath the petal. It seemed to help if I dug a small hole just to the side of the door and added a cat dropping with a little pee or gland lure. You would be surprised how many cats I would catch the first night, and very seldom non-target species. I attribute it to the fact that the cat that covered it knows exactly where it is, and now thinks another stole his cache. While other non-target animals have trouble smelling the beaver under the cage.

Most of the time I could give a pretty good guess as to what hit on the beaver. When it disappeared completely, with a small drag trail, then guts, then disappeared....almost always coyote. When the beaver is largely eaten at the place I left it, most of the time it would be dogs..... When small portions of it are eaten it was usually coon, possum, or fox. When it's covered almost always cats. You can place several stations out and catch some pretty good catches since you don't have the traps out unless you already have a participant. It's harder to keep the carcasses from being discovered by buzzards than anything else, try to keep under thick canopy like cut-over timber. When the buzzards do find it you'll know by the feathers, or them hanging out nearby.... They hardly ever leave until everything has been picked clean.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/06/17 01:31 PM

I like to wire a beaver carcass up off the ground to a tree 3-4 feet. If a cat is in the area they find it and have your cage around there also. I don't think cats are hard to cage if the cats are there. Get one brushed up, I like cedar if it's around and it's just another cubby set. You can hide cages pretty well and another thing is a lot of people would be surprised how close cats come to homes, farm buildings and other places where people are you might not want a foothold.

For you guys that can only catch one and might want to turn some loose using footholds, here's something to think about. If it's real cold when you catch that cat that foot is probably froze, no worries with a cage. All in all just another tool, they have their place.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/11/17 10:36 PM

I think I'm going to try one.

Where coons and possums are prevalent, how would you bait/lure the cage to try to exclude them?
Posted By: okie4570

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/11/17 11:53 PM

I think I'm going to try one.

Where coons and possums are prevalent, how would you bait/lure the cage to try to exclude them?

Keeping your cages away from the edge of heavy cover, but close enough for the cat to still set your set will help eliminate some skunk and opossum catches. Coons will find it no matter where you put it. I've caught a ton of cats in cages, and use cages primarily. If you can use duck/goose carcasses legally, find or become a duck hunter, and cat catches are almost certain. Brush them in or leave them in the open, I've caught them in both sets, sometimes in just wide open prairie.
Posted By: okie4570

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/12/17 12:19 AM

Caught many at this location over the years, not brushed in, wide open draw between a creek and pond.

Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 01/08/18 11:27 AM

I tried a cage for about two weeks probably 20 years ago. Still have it. Haven't set it since.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 01/08/18 11:54 AM

Yes, I am turning more to cage traps here. Heavy snow in later season, and selective catch being the primary reasons. The sets are pretty much wolf proof, good thing here these days.
I'm still purchasing to add to those I have.

Osky
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 01/08/18 08:53 PM

I've tried posting this link in Google to find it, but can't. Can you post the title of the YouTube video or you YouTube user name? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAohc2zZKRI&app=desktop
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 01/08/18 09:45 PM

Cages can be great if your only allowed a cat or two .
Easy releases if you want to go for a different cat .
Not so much with bodygrips.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 06:20 AM

Cage traps are expensive. Setting more than a couple would get pricey, plus they take up a lot of storage space.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 06:40 AM

In my state their are just too many sportsman in the wilds. I don't use them for threat of being taken. I only use cage traps around the farm buildings
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 12:58 PM

I use them, as I want to be able to catch animals where they are. Have had success catching red fox as well as cats where they were causing problems close to houses, livestock pastures etc. Keeping a trap working in the sheep or with calves around is difficult feral animals can be removed using cages, I want to be able to use what will work.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 02:51 PM

I do use cages here and don’t have to. I set a lot of spots were cages are weather proof. I don’t have to worry about traps freezing. Plus they are simple for my kids to use. We let a lot of our cats go (females and kittens) no damage. Not saying I don’t use any foothold for cats because some sets footholds are a must. Just my 2 cents worth. If you have a couple cages try them.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 02:58 PM

If you want to collect pee I bet a cage makes it easier to handle the cat.

There must be a learning curve to them. Back in the late 90's I used a trap designed to keep a live chicken in. Cat tracks all around it in the snow and door closed. Several days in a row. I think it was jumping on top the cage. Chicken survived it all. I got mad and foot trapped the cat. I have used the trap as a cage several times but never set it again.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 03:41 PM

I have a friend who caught 78 nice western cats one season using nothing but cage traps. He said he would not go back to footholds for cats if given the choice.
Posted By: K52

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
If you want to collect pee I bet a cage makes it easier to handle the cat.

There must be a learning curve to them. Back in the late 90's I used a trap designed to keep a live chicken in. Cat tracks all around it in the snow and door closed. Several days in a row. I think it was jumping on top the cage. Chicken survived it all. I got mad and foot trapped the cat. I have used the trap as a cage several times but never set it again.

There is a learning curve with them but if you'll watch Mercer Lawings Caging Bobcats Guaranteed Success video it will really shorten that curve dramatically. Just apply what he does to your locations, and it works. I really like to cover mine with cedar boughs if it's around. Always cover the wire in the bottom seems to really help.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 11/13/22 04:14 PM

I have caught cats in #2 northwoods that were intended for coyotes. As mentioned, it depends on the weather, however, here in Washington, we dont have a choice.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/17/22 06:12 PM

I'm trying to decide where I should put the Bobcat urine at the cage set
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/17/22 06:33 PM

Wolfdog
Where do you get the channels that your door drops down in?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/17/22 07:42 PM

My son is using cage traps now at his plantation since quail season is in and has caught 8 fox and 3 bobcats in cages in the last 16 days. All they were set for is coons and possums with 1 or sometimes 2 eggs in the back. No lure, urine, or any other bait, just an egg. Again like I said in another post, our area just has a lot of cats so that could be the reason for his success. Since mid April he has caught over 500 critters in cages and footholds. That’s everything from armadillos to coyotes.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/17/22 07:53 PM

Great discussion. Lots of good information on this thread.
Posted By: Ringneck1

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/18/22 02:38 AM

Cages are all we can use here. Its been a learning experience. One thing i think is true, bed that cage solid, you dont want to moving around if the cat rubs on it. Cover the wire floor with sifted sand. make sure the door rails dont get a lot of sand in them. Sprinkle some of that sand onto the trip pan. Hang a feather or critter inside so it moves in the wind. All scent goes in the back. I trap cottonwood riverbottoms. Almost always there is a dead cottonwood tree nearby. Often i can often pull off a big chunk of bark for a roof, then smaller pieces for side fencing. Box them off pretty good. I want there to be one place that the cat can get to bait/lure/motion and that is the door, not stare at it thru the side of the cage. I want the cage as close to the travel way as possible.

I usually add a IR flash trail camera on a tripod set to video. So I can see what the cat did or didn't see in the case of a refusal. The density of cats here is very low, so I continually fine tune the presentation till their trigger is tripped. Tall traps are better than short.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/21/22 03:37 AM

Good info Ringneck. I plan on using bark to cover the base. I'll try to cover the sides a bit.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/21/22 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
Wolfdog
Where do you get the channels that your door drops down in?

It's angle iron and flat stock welded to one side. I believe he may have learned that from my cage building video???

---------------------

This is another post drug up from 2017 I see.

Re: Do you use cages if foot holds are legal - bobcats - 12/21/22 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Great discussion. Lots of good information on this thread.

That's what I thought too. Very good & informative thread.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums