ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PUR foam/ gun #3946346
08/16/13 02:19 PM
08/16/13 02:19 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
T
TJP Offline OP
trapper
TJP  Offline OP
trapper
T

Lawrence, Kansas
I'm looking to buy the gun and foam. Does the case hold the gun and can of foam together? Or do you have to find somewhere else to store them when they are together? I see it says do not ever take the can off the gun unless you are changing cans.

Last edited by TJP; 08/16/13 02:44 PM.
Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946383
08/16/13 03:00 PM
08/16/13 03:00 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
The green plastic case holds a gun and a mounted foam can. There are additonal molded cradles for holding additional foam cans and or cleaner cans.

We remove the foam can after each use from the gun and keep the screw on foam cleaner can, spray until clean and keep it there until the next use. We have used our last gun for 6 years by following this procedure.

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: Bob Jameson] #3946471
08/16/13 04:18 PM
08/16/13 04:18 PM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson

We remove the foam can after each use from the gun and keep the screw on foam cleaner can, spray until clean and keep it there until the next use. We have used our last gun for 6 years by following this proceedure.

That goes against everything the pur foam rep said. I was always told keep The can on the gun until empty, the problem is I can never empty a can because the gun always gets plugged inside the trigger area. This is my second gun (the economy model).Im going to try it your way and see if it helps. Is the more expensive model that much better?

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946495
08/16/13 04:41 PM
08/16/13 04:41 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

The expensive one clogs too. We usually leave the can on until done, and clean periodically. I figured that the dry foam bits would clog gun....if you removed the can without cleaning top of can. I just keep buying guns...ugh.

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946551
08/16/13 05:24 PM
08/16/13 05:24 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have been using the Pur foam guns since they hit the market many years ago. My system is the best one I have found for keeping a gun in working order. If you follow the reps lead you wont get very much service from them.They want you to buy guns of course. You will use some cleaner but it works the best.A case of cleaner is a good investment if you use your gun very much.

Also keep them from freezing in the winter months as this will cause the foam to cure inside the barrel quickly also. Keep them at room temperature if at all possible. If you are not storing your guns indoors in the winter months you must keep a can of cleaner on the gun at all times. If not they usually wont last the year.

You will find that the foam will dry over time in the barrel and in the tip area. Thus causing the trigger to cease up as the internal barrel rod will fail to move back and forth as it was designed to do. Do the company reps method for a couple of years then as you learn you will find my method will serve you the best.

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946563
08/16/13 05:41 PM
08/16/13 05:41 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
T
TJP Offline OP
trapper
TJP  Offline OP
trapper
T

Lawrence, Kansas
So if the can is not empty is it garbage after you remove it?

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946611
08/16/13 06:14 PM
08/16/13 06:14 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Not if you clean it well but generally not recommended.

[Linked Image]
Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946626
08/16/13 06:30 PM
08/16/13 06:30 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
We don't use Bob's method because we are a bunch of morons. We've had some of our guns last 6 weeks before they clog. ( Can you tell that I don't personally use Pur foam guns and that I would like to punch all of our guys who do? )

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946636
08/16/13 06:39 PM
08/16/13 06:39 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If the cleaner blows thru the gun with pressure after the pur foam can is removed then the gun is ok. Make sure the tip is cleaned off well prior to cleaning as the foam will tend to seal over the tip if you arent in the good habit of wiping the gun tip clean after each use before the foam can dry.

Scrape the tip clean with a razor knife or carpenter knife of sorts regularly so you can see the gun barrel and the internal flow rod tip. This will insure good foam flow and help keep the gun working well.

You can draw dried pieces of foam into the barrel tip at times clogging the gun tip over time. This is just doing some good preventive maintenance.

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946736
08/16/13 08:07 PM
08/16/13 08:07 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Last summer I think I went through two short
And one long gun, this year as of yet I haven't had
One gum up on me! This year I have been using
Cleaner when I feel the can is about half empty and whenever
I place a new can on! I have been gettin a lot of cans
That only last for half the can! I think maybe it's the weird
Angles I'm forced to use the can at!

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3946863
08/16/13 09:51 PM
08/16/13 09:51 PM
Georgia
B
Barehunter Offline
trapper
Barehunter  Offline
trapper
B

Georgia
I expect if I ever get mine unclogged again I will go with Bob's method. I hate mine!

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3947129
08/17/13 12:47 AM
08/17/13 12:47 AM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline
trapper
NCbatman  Offline
trapper
N

North Carolina
Bob..thank you!
I've been thru 3 long guns..2 shorts and 1 cheap short gun since I started using these. Each one was having trigger problems after about a case of foam. I started running the cleaner thru them once a week and everything has been good so far.
Cleaning the tips was the first game changer for me. I use a can of great stuff pro gun cleaner to spray the tip after every job...as well as using some of the copper mesh stuffing material as an abrasive.
Also.. I spray some cleaner on the valve where the gun and can connect between jobs. Take the can off...spray a bit of cleaner...work the trigger..spray again..and put the new or old can back on. This has worked to get a gun going that I just knew was done.
So far this has worked way better than the sales reps advice of using the cleaner as little as possible !

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3947240
08/17/13 06:40 AM
08/17/13 06:40 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Spray cleaning the check ball area of the gun completely after a foam can is removed / changed is a given I would think.Dried foam will in time impede or restrict the spring valve movement of the check ball if this isnt done regularly.

All the things I have mentioned are a good procedure I learned to follow and will ensure that you will get the most time served from your pageris guns.I was going thru several guns both long and short barrel models in what I deemed an unreasonable time period. The Long guns are more prone to seizeing due to their length and more potential clogging surface area we found.

Keeping the cleaning can attached to the guns between use has been the key for maintaining working guns for us. You may use more cleaner then you are accustomed to using and waste a little foam due to the clean out process. However, the use of small amounts of each the product is justified in my experience.

If you can't condition yourself or your employees to an alternative practice of pageris gun maintenance you can always keep buying more guns like Paul. smile I bet the company and dealers selling guns know when bat season rolls around. I guess Paul has WCS on speed dial this time of year.LOL

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3947293
08/17/13 08:12 AM
08/17/13 08:12 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Foam guns fail for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is poor manufacturing but mainly the faults come from the users. The foam itself has an expiration date that can be found on the bottom of each can. As Bob pointed out, how you store the foam is just as important as using fresh foam. Let's face it, if you're using bad product you're going to get bad results.

A main way that guns get ruined is how they are cleaned. Running cleaner through the gun will eat away at the plastic O ring seal and allow air (e.g. moisture) to enter causing the foam to cure in the barrel. Normally, this is just at the tip which as Bob pointed out prevents the cable from moving when the trigger is depressed. This can be fixed several times by gently grinding away a very small portion of the barrel tip with a Dremel tool. Just make sure you go very slowly and check the gun frequently so that you don't remove too much material and permanently ruin the gun. If the gun is made by Pageris, you are supposed to be able to return it to the manufacture to have it fixed at no cost which is the better solution.

Bob's system works well mainly because he doesn't keep foam on the gun and by running the cleaner through the barrel keeps any cure from happening. Where most operators have a problem is that they run a can of foam, let it sit on the gun until empty then run cleaning solution through it along with running a knife or other metal object over the tip to remove dried foam in order to use the gun again or by dragging it over brick/stone surfaces. This process will destroy the internal O ring and damage the tip allowing air to enter the barrel.

If you are going to keep foam on a foam gun per the recommendations, do not clean the inside of the gun, run metal over the tip, or drag the tip over any hard uneven surface. Instead, use the spray cleaner to clean the tip after each application and use add on syringes and needles to protect the tip. Also keep the foam stored at room temperatures at all times, don't allow the foam on the gun to go bad (don't replace a can with one that will expire in a month and then not immediately use it) and make sure the foam can seal has not become loose.

As long as there are no defects with the gun itself, these steps will keep the gun working for years. Or, use Bob's technique and take the foam out of the equation.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3948105
08/17/13 06:50 PM
08/17/13 06:50 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
T
TJP Offline OP
trapper
TJP  Offline OP
trapper
T

Lawrence, Kansas
So for a guy that'll only use it very little would it be best for me to just get the cans until I get to using it more often??

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3948113
08/17/13 07:00 PM
08/17/13 07:00 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
TJP - I've only been in business 3 years now, I bought the green kit from WCS. I don't use it all the time, I don't follow any particular rule except that I don't remove the can till a new can is ready to go. I would be a light user and don't use it often and I'm not doing the volume most guys who commented are in terms of workload.

So if you are wondering about buying or not buying because you might not use much, I'd say buy it, just don't load up on cases of cans till you see where your work takes you and the techniques and materials you find most useful in your exclusion.

Just don't want you to wait because it sounds complicated. Any tool requires some knowledge or experience to get the most of it, I love the pur system for some work and don't pull it out at all for others.

Anyway, .02 from a part time - full time operator

Justin

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3948120
08/17/13 07:07 PM
08/17/13 07:07 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
T
TJP Offline OP
trapper
TJP  Offline OP
trapper
T

Lawrence, Kansas
Justin that helped a ton. Thank you everyone for the comments, I'm going to go ahead and buy the whole kit

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3948132
08/17/13 07:13 PM
08/17/13 07:13 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I should have added though, if I was running lots of it, I'd be following Bob J's recommended treatment.

Just a little disclaimer there.... smile

Glad it helped!

Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3950217
08/18/13 10:14 PM
08/18/13 10:14 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
It helps, I think, to clean the tip with plain ol' acetone on a rough rag or those steel wool pads used for scrubbing pots. Then put a little Vaseline over the tip and a cap over that.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: PUR foam/ gun [Re: TJP] #3950474
08/19/13 12:30 AM
08/19/13 12:30 AM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Very easy to solve this issue, don't use foam.. Period. Make a proper repair...

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread