ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How would you handle this? #3678267
03/03/13 12:05 PM
03/03/13 12:05 PM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline OP
trapper
NCbatman  Offline OP
trapper
N

North Carolina
I had a job that I quoted last week for bat guano removal. I priced it at $600. I was called in last year to bat proof the home after another company failed to solve the problem, I charged the customer $525 to bat proof the home (with a 5 year warranty) and remove ONLY the droppings in the 3 vents. He wasn't interested in getting the whole attic cleaned out. Now the home is for sale and the buyers want it cleaned out.
I was anticipating it to be a PIA, expecting to have to peel the top layer of insulation off to remove the droppings instead of vacuuming. My worker decided to take a piece of screen, press it to the insulation and vacuum the droppings off. The whole attic was covered with droppings. The screen was used to keep the vacuum from sucking up the insulation. Total time for the job, drive time included was 4.5 hours. I did not include replacing insulation in the price. The job had to be done short notice due to the closing for the home sale is Monday. The customer was very satisfied with the work.
I sent the invoice and now the customer wants a reduction in the price because it took my guy three hours to do the job and we didn't have to peel the insulation off as I had planned.
We all have had jobs that end up taking longer than expected and unless we go up on the price at the end we loose. I don't go up on price once the price is agreed upon... ..so why should I go down on my price? What if my guy slipped and busted thru the ceiling below? What if he got hurt....could I go up on my price to cover the on expected costs? The customer thinks that $600 is "a little high for just 3 hours work".
What would you do?

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678309
03/03/13 12:24 PM
03/03/13 12:24 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
1.I would have a signed contract
2.I would perform the work as specified
3.I specified work was performed in a manor that deviated from said specifications, I would submit a change order

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678347
03/03/13 12:46 PM
03/03/13 12:46 PM
New Mexico
SWTrapper Offline
trapper
SWTrapper  Offline
trapper

New Mexico
verbal contract is still a contract, so customer should pay agreed upon price. How you performed the work is irrelevant, it could have taken 10 hours still the same price.

2013/2014 season goals

Coyotes - 5/30
Bobcats - 0/10
Fox - 1/10
Ringtail - 0/2
Skunks - 1/0
Misses - 3/0

Sheds - 60/200lbs
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678363
03/03/13 12:56 PM
03/03/13 12:56 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:
How you performed the work is irrelevant

lol,,,,,,let me know WHEN you need a good layer.......

Specification within a contract need to be followed otherwise you are in violation of that contractual agreement

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678407
03/03/13 01:20 PM
03/03/13 01:20 PM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline OP
trapper
NCbatman  Offline OP
trapper
N

North Carolina
It was the customer who suggested using the vacuum, to keep from having to go behind us and replace any lost insulation.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678420
03/03/13 01:30 PM
03/03/13 01:30 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: NCbatman
It was the customer who suggested using the vacuum, to keep from having to go behind us and replace any lost insulation.

In that case I don't see where they are fussing from other than penny pinching. This all comes down to client expectations and clear written contracts
that if modified should be signed off upon somewhere. (edited in this piece **** I don't use written contracts for every aspect but I do use a pdf contract for all bat and bird exclusion and serious wildlife exclusion and clean outs. There is much to say and I want them to know what I am doing and not doing, you can even add spaces for them to sign off that they have read and understand. That said, many have run decades without a need for just a couple of written contracts and I'm sure they will chime in that it is largely unnecessary and they aren't wrong, just a different mode.)

Vinke is right about the aspects of work promised, versus work delivered, but if the client specified to change it up, I would have had them agree to that
beforehand.

I know in this case you probably weren't sure it would work till your tech got moving, so hard to see it coming.

I've struggled my first two years with client expectations and being sure that what I promise is met 100% of the time. While I always make them happy by the end, if you aren't careful it costs you more than you had planned for.

I find bird exclusion to be the place this happens most with those folks who are bugged by even a pigeon gliding over their home but not landing. You usually can tell after a few of these people and therefore make sure you spend extra time explaining.

In your case they should pay, whether it took you 45 minutes or longer, as they agreed to your price. I do my best to not discuss how long any job takes in great detail, as they can vary and I want folks to not focus so much on trying to determine my labor rate as that the job will be done correctly where it takes 2 hours or 24 hours, it is up to them to pick me over another contractor based on the bid and other factors.

Sounds like they just thought what you did was too simple to pay that much and if that is the case, imagine where a lot of things guys do for wildlife control would be if everyone just dropped their rate when the landowner said...

"Well I could have done that myself!"

There isn't an easy way to go really, you can decide if you think it is worth the client promoting you to others or if they have a written description and you didn't comply if they will use that to flog you with.

Bummer....

Justin

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 03/03/13 01:32 PM.
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678496
03/03/13 01:59 PM
03/03/13 01:59 PM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline OP
trapper
NCbatman  Offline OP
trapper
N

North Carolina
The way I see it...I came in after another company failed to take care of the bat problem. I took care of their bat guano pronto because the closing in this Monday (tomorrow) and they are completely satisfied, actually praising the clean up. If they don't pass my name along, so be it.
The customer could have done this work himself, I told him exactly what he could do and he chose to have me do the clean up.
I'm going to keep to my price.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678514
03/03/13 02:06 PM
03/03/13 02:06 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Sounds reasonable batman!

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678598
03/03/13 02:58 PM
03/03/13 02:58 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
If the contract was for removing guano for x amount of money and you did so why should you not
get paid the full amount you ask for. It doesn't matter if you picked up each peace with your teeth.
You removed the guano bottom line.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678615
03/03/13 03:10 PM
03/03/13 03:10 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I wouldn't say its quite that simple not to be difficult everet. For example removing with a HEPA system and taking precautions to minimize health
risk versus scooping it up and not minimizing these risks can be cause for folks to not pay, likewise any large deviation in the look promised with
exclusion, or other little details can cause problems.

It sounds like though in this case NCbatman had a plan and the client suggested a different way and when followed the folks just decided, "hey that
shouldn't cost me the same, because it didn't take very long" which is nonsense.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678685
03/03/13 03:49 PM
03/03/13 03:49 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
HD, I understand what you are saying, maybe next it he should work slower LOL. He made it look easy because he knew what he was doing.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678704
03/03/13 03:55 PM
03/03/13 03:55 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
smile

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3678947
03/03/13 05:55 PM
03/03/13 05:55 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I would reduce it by $50. And redo my contract.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3679300
03/03/13 08:14 PM
03/03/13 08:14 PM
maine
smallcreek55 Offline
trapper
smallcreek55  Offline
trapper

maine
Put a lean on the house first thing in the morning don't know if he can close until your paid.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: smallcreek55] #3680462
03/04/13 10:17 AM
03/04/13 10:17 AM
Minnesota
buckslayer Offline
trapper
buckslayer  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: smallcreek55
Put a lean on the house first thing in the morning don't know if he can close until your paid.

Don't know if it's the same everywhere, but when we were looking at buying a house over the winter, the house had a lean on it for $500 labor charge the guy didn't pay a few months prior and the way they were going to work it was at least one of the two (seller or buyer) had to pay the $500. I wasn't about to pay the extra cash on the house as we found a lot of other issues with it so we walked away from the sale.

YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/denstad1
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3681818
03/04/13 10:13 PM
03/04/13 10:13 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
J
John Pearson Offline
trapper
John Pearson  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, Tennessee

It's kind of frustrating to have someone upset at you for being more efficient than they thought you would be. The fact that the homeowners didn't have to replace the insulation should be enough to make them happy.

That being said, I usually explain about all of the overhead we have to cover such as workers comp, GL, advertising, etc... at times I'll try to smooth things over by reducing the cost by 5 or 10%, but only if really warranted and if it was built into the profit margin.
To me it's better to close on the job and have the customer happy, than to have a customer complaining on the web or to their friends.

John
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3681876
03/04/13 10:33 PM
03/04/13 10:33 PM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline OP
trapper
NCbatman  Offline OP
trapper
N

North Carolina
Got paid....I tell you what...I love the Square App. I called the customer and gave him a $50 discount...while on the phone he made the payment and asked me to bat proof his recently purchased home. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3681939
03/04/13 10:50 PM
03/04/13 10:50 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Batman, A question for you. I am thinking about going to Square for credit cards. How do you do it when you don't have the card in your hand? I do about 1/2 of my business on the phone. Thank you for your help.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3681984
03/04/13 11:05 PM
03/04/13 11:05 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Jim, the app on your phone will have a screen where the client can sign with their finger. In the case of off site transactions I write in Phone Authorization and explain the same to the client but only do so if they have given full consent to do so.

My one and only, so far knock on wood, attempted charge card reversal was of this type. I never laid eyes on the client as he was on the west coast. He had a diller tearing up the yard and his lawn man was complaining. I did the deal over the phone and set up the job but the dumb diller must have played in traffic because two weeks later no show no call on dillers in that yard so I packed it in. The client had the gall to attempt to have the charges reversed but fortunately I had emailed the joker on each visit with photos and a description of what I was seeing. His CC company agreed with me that I had provided the agreed upon service to set traps and monitor them for a period of up to fourteen days.

[Linked Image]
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: NCbatman] #3681993
03/04/13 11:11 PM
03/04/13 11:11 PM
North Carolina
N
NCbatman Offline OP
trapper
NCbatman  Offline OP
trapper
N

North Carolina
I take a picture of EVERY JOB and the animals caught. When it is an over the phone payment, I write in the signature PD by Phone . The receipt is emailed, including the pictures of the work. Crossing my fingers...so far no issues. I've been using Square for a long time with no issues what so ever. The first week it increased my cash flow by $1,500 . Instead of waiting 2-3 weeks to get paid, I get the money in as little as 5 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread