ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pesky & Son Started This #3278599
08/17/12 04:38 PM
08/17/12 04:38 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
It seems to me that we decided a long time ago that having our caged animals in public view was one sure way to get the public to really hate our guts. I believe that the post started after a number of unlicensed pest controllers were seen having assorted animals tied on top of the cab of their pick-up.

I would encourage Pesky to get his offspring a job selling encyclopedias rather than working for the moron company he works for now. I really don't care who you are, caged animals flying along the highway, are going to lose you ten customers for every dead-beat one you pick up.

P.S. Does anyone know a company that makes a practice of this? I do.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278603
08/17/12 04:39 PM
08/17/12 04:39 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
So do I.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278624
08/17/12 04:50 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
We had a guy a few years ago that you would always see driving a Jeep Cheroke. Always had traps bungee corded anywhere he could get them to hang. This thing looked like a rolling trap with all the cages hanging off it! Not much paint left on that Cheroke either needless to say lol But I agree, not a good idea having them in the public eye like that.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278625
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Public Perception is VERY important...and while we're at it, lets clean up our personal image.

These guys showing up, looking like they are going out to mow the lawn, is not very professional.

I may not agree with Bud25 very often, but I will say this about him.

( At lest from what I've seen ) he cares about his personal and professional image...and for that he gets my respect.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278719
08/17/12 05:57 PM
08/17/12 05:57 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Just about every single company in this area works out of a open truck . I see one in a van but carries the animals in a rack off his bumper . I never had anybudy complain , it's also very common nolage the animals are headed to the country to be released . So we should pretend we don't handle animals . And why if someone that has a animal eating there house would not want to hire a guy with animals he has removed . I don't want that guy he's got animals . What the heck . Very normal to pull in some where ,gas station , house , store ect and people will bring there kids to see all the animals . Was thinking of putting a quarter machine on the side of truck with food so people could feed them . Tarp them over , hide them what so they cook . People have animal trouble and wish to have them taken away by truck that's real simple to understand and not a problem around here

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278746
08/17/12 06:18 PM
08/17/12 06:18 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Pesky,

What is being referred to is not animals in an open truck bed, rather it is animals in cages being place on top of ladders or the cargo carriers you can put on a hitch/roof.

When animals are transported in this manner, the animals are easily put in distress due to sun/wind/weather exposure along with the stress they already experience from being trapped. Ask yourself if it was you in the cage, how would you want to be treated?

What activities like this do is bring negative emotional attention to the situation. So the lady that goes to McDonalds with her kids calls the evening news to complain about the trauma her kids went through from seeing the animals panting in the heat or shivering from cold. The news picks it up because they want conflict, it is what makes them money. They then call some animal rights group who then launches a campaign against trappers and wildlife control operators demanding more regulations. And if you think I'm kidding, this is exactly what happened in Washington, DC where operators have to keep their animals "covered from the elements" at all times due to a bill that was written by HSUS, introduced by a council woman so she could get their votes for re-election, and was passed by the council and mayor.

Another issue with this that is rarely talked about is the potential legalities caused by this action. Some areas classify this as animal cruelty and the operator can have multiple charges against them that may shut down their business. There is also the potential of having a law enforcement officer write a ticket for an unsafe or unsecured load and forcing the operator to unload and have the animals transered by another vehicle where they are viewed as secured.

It doesn't matter if the animal is going to be euthanized or released, nor what the operators individual rights are. There are multiple ways to avoid doing this and bringing negative attention to this industry. We know that one of the issues in this line of work is dealing with the animals, but the general public doesn't really understand it and most likely don't care as long as it doesn't interfere with their lives. But we all know that it is easier today for most parents to blame someone else for an issue than to explain what life really is all about to their children.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278764
08/17/12 06:32 PM
08/17/12 06:32 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
What did I miss? what did Pesky & Pesky Jr. start?

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278788
08/17/12 06:55 PM
08/17/12 06:55 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Im not putting them on my hitch , ladders, truck hood ect and ether is my kid. They ride in the back of the truck in the bed of the truck . It gets real hot we will take and wet them down with a garden hose . Just about Everybudy around here does the same . They got to go in the truck somewhere . As a kid I road in my dads truck in the bed and it felt great . Surly not going to put them in a van to cook and smell like ground hog crap all day .

Free Trapper
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278805
08/17/12 07:08 PM
08/17/12 07:08 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

People care in our area. Posting photos of dead squirrels in a cab is poor taste....videos of unnecessarely hanging a skunk by the tail and throwing into a metal trap is cruel. Just a matter of time...someone is going to care.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278861
08/17/12 07:51 PM
08/17/12 07:51 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Man, why can't you guys argue over on my site... laugh

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278864
08/17/12 07:53 PM
08/17/12 07:53 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Your crowd is shy? Try more topics to start conversations?

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278906
08/17/12 08:24 PM
08/17/12 08:24 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
That squirrel was alive and doing fine now . The squrrel was cold and needed warmed he caught a chil and froze up . Squirrels don't die with there tails up . Ya I wonder that to LT what could it be . I post stuff there to . Can't even post some pic of how well my son is doing in the ADC trapping . That kid will have captured over a thousand animals causing damage to homes this summer . That's better than me and I'm just guessing but better than anybudy in this area . I'm very proud of the kid and not afrade to say so . Go ahead and try to say there's something wrong with that I could really care and think its kinda funny . Right now he has 28 jobs setup and people waiting on a list . The other day he asked why are people calling me sir . God I love that kid

Free Trapper
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278953
08/17/12 08:53 PM
08/17/12 08:53 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
I think pesky is a good trapper. He's just a lot like Tanya Harding.... a little rough around the edges...... smile

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278958
08/17/12 08:57 PM
08/17/12 08:57 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Not cool to insult tonya harding like that.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3278968
08/17/12 09:02 PM
08/17/12 09:02 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Ya know Pesky, ever since you started to post here there has been a push to nag and ridicule you into conforming to a standard that a handful of sanctimonious types deem appropriate. I think Mike Flicks last thread describes this behavior quite well.

They complain that you don't dress the right way! Good grief!

You're a good man Pesky and so is your son, don't let these pompous (blank) get you down.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279020
08/17/12 09:37 PM
08/17/12 09:37 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Not unlike deer season where guys would hang a deer off the back of a camper to swing in the breeze. We can take it, and understand what's what, but way too many folks live on a Walt Disney planet, and don't like to see that sort of reality".

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: LT GREY] #3279060
08/17/12 09:59 PM
08/17/12 09:59 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
LT what is your site. Paul W. posted it but it got deleted.
I agree with sgs pesky is a good man and a hard worker. I think he's a get'rdone kind of guy and that sets well with his customers.
The problem and Pesky doesn't realize it yet is we have a lot of customers but they are a minority of the population. In our society a vocal minority can influence the majority and things can go bad quick. Many laws come into being by a single incident.
Tim Julien had a little class about something may be legal but that doesn't mean it's right.
Pesky you need to set an example for your fellow pro's in your area and hide your catch. I think it will be a good idea in the long run by not having a statute or ordinance passed telling us how we have to treat animals.
Pesky you are catching a lot of animals and I'm sure your charging a competitive rate you need to buy uniforms to hide that crack before some wild animal tries to hide there:-)
Paul you shouldn't have talked about Pesky's son and his mentor that way. You were reacting to harshly when we only know a small part of the story.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279072
08/17/12 10:04 PM
08/17/12 10:04 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Sqs, you are mistaking the teachable moments as criticism. There are meny guys on this site that are trying to help...to make the industry better.

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279078
08/17/12 10:06 PM
08/17/12 10:06 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Google adc proboard...

Re: Pesky & Son Started This [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3279083
08/17/12 10:09 PM
08/17/12 10:09 PM
Missouri
MoFarmBoy Offline
trapper
MoFarmBoy  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
It seems to me that we decided a long time ago that having our caged animals in public view was one sure way to get the public to really hate our guts.

I submit that many of those who knowingly display captured or dead animals in or on their vehicles are either a) attempting to impress their peers with their accomplishment, or b) deliberately prodding those who oppose such activity. We all know deer hunters who gladly risk spoiling good meat by driving around with tailgate down, revealing their take with its tongue hanging out, blood dripping. I asked a slob hunter neighbor of mine why he hung his deer in the tree in his front yard. His reply? "It's closest to the road."

As LT and Paul assert, we indeed are all judged by our appearance and decorum, and until 100% of the population understands how humane and caring most of us are, we must be diligent in representing each other as such. Driving around with exposed dead, alive, dry, or wetted animals or sporting dirty, unkempt clothes with a Coors Light cap may endear you to certain pocket groups, but it will not enhance our collective image in the eyes of the general public. It will, however, promote the notion that trappers are redneck slobs.

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury
box, and the cartridge box.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread