Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#898555 - 09/24/08 08:20 AM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Twopipe]
Seaharvester Offline
trapper

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Twopipe
Quote:
I use the same brine on the hams&bacon, it is very easy to make, and taste awesome For twenty pounds of meat use 3 cups of brown sugar 3 tablespoons Pickling Spice, 8 tablespoons Prague Powder #1, 4 cloves Garlic, 3 tablespoons of Chicago steak rub (You can substitute for any steak rub), 2 gallons of water. Bring to a boil for ten minutes then chill to 38 degrees. Besure to inject a lot along the bone, and about every 2 square inches of meat on both sides. Then fully submerge in non metal containers and chil for 10 days. Then you place hams in a container and soak in ice water for 2 hours, replace the ice water and soak for two more hors, this removes the access salt from the cure. Then they are ready for the smoker.

Did you use this same brine for the deer hams? Those pictures of the deer hams made my mouth water! What did you use for the finishing glaze? In your recipe is the only salt you used in the steak rub? How long and at what temp did you smoke them. I have been wanting to smoke venison hams for a couple of years now and this has really spurred me on.
I'm sorry I left out 3 cups of sea salt. I will go back an edit it in.
The glaze is off the hook good. I take honey, yellow mustard, orange juice and just a little brown sugar to change the color as it doesn't look good, heat until everything blends. Yes the same brine. I try to keep the smoker near 225, deer hams take aboubt 4 to 5 hours depending on size. I start to apply the glaze when the internal temp reaches 140, after about 3 coats every 1/2 hour the internal temp should be 155, they are done. take out and let cool. Smoking deer hams is really a lost art, These hams are just a pink, and ham tasting as pork, but no fat and when you have a good friend over they will be amazed.

#898613 - 09/24/08 09:20 AM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester]
BUZZSAW Offline
trapper

Loc: WI , north central 40+
Very impressive, when we butcher we usually do about 6 hogs and 2 beef when the whole crew is around .
we skin our hogs also ,alot quicker and easier. unfortunately we hire someone to do the smoking and sausage making for us and it turns out fine . Alot more pride in those fine looking hams and bacons of yours tho. i agree on the lard , makes some awesome pastry crusts too.
anyone care to share that cracklin/cornbread recipe ? sounds awesome.

#899280 - 09/24/08 03:37 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: BUZZSAW]
12Valve Offline
trapper

Loc: The Thumb - Michigan - 26
And now I am hungry. Dinner not for 3 of 4 more hours.

#899879 - 09/24/08 08:31 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: 12Valve]
ub1243 Offline
trapper

Loc: south jersey
i didn't think hogs ate scallops.

looks real nice.
i sent this link to a guy at work who is doing a few deer loins and a few ham roasts for me this weekend.
same thing, a 40lbs doe commited suicide, but it tried to eat soy beans in front of a muzzy. 4-blade.

#899942 - 09/24/08 08:56 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: ub1243]
Seaharvester Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: ub1243
i didn't think hogs ate scallops.

looks real nice.
i sent this link to a guy at work who is doing a few deer loins and a few ham roasts for me this weekend.
same thing, a 40lbs doe commited suicide, but it tried to eat soy beans in front of a muzzy. 4-blade.

LOL, I did feed the hog about a bushel of bunker, and many tuna heads, he loved it.

#899948 - 09/24/08 08:59 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
I have a 300# yorkshire getting ready to hang..Im just waiting on a few cooler days..Got a new meat grinder and Im slobbering for some fresh sausage,LOL

#901638 - 09/25/08 07:12 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: BUZZSAW]
Seaharvester Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: BUZZSAW
Very impressive, when we butcher we usually do about 6 hogs and 2 beef when the whole crew is around .
we skin our hogs also ,alot quicker and easier. unfortunately we hire someone to do the smoking and sausage making for us and it turns out fine . Alot more pride in those fine looking hams and bacons of yours tho. i agree on the lard , makes some awesome pastry crusts too.
anyone care to share that cracklin/cornbread recipe ? sounds awesome.

Cornbread

1 Cup sifted all-purpose flour; 1/4 Cup sugar; 4 tsp baking powder; 1 Cup yellow cornmeal; 2 eggs; 1 Cup milk; cup of lard cup of crunched cracklins. Combine ingredients. Do not over mix. Bake at 425 F for 20-25 min. in greased cast iron skillet.

#910666 - 10/01/08 02:15 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester]
VaBeagler Online   content
trapper

Loc: Southern Virginia, 42 yo
ttt- still studying this one. Neat way to put up hogs.

#910696 - 10/01/08 02:44 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Twopipe]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
MAN O MAN!!!! Those pictures made me drool!!!!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#910724 - 10/01/08 03:05 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Alaskan]
thrstyunderwater Offline
trapper

Loc: Logan Utah
This is a really great post. What else did you feed your hog besides tuna heads?

#986861 - 11/13/08 05:39 AM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: thrstyunderwater]
Seaharvester Offline
trapper

LOL, Mostly corn, tons of tomatoes, and some bunker fish too!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3