No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Beartooths vs Wind Rivers #8134917
05/06/24 11:46 PM
05/06/24 11:46 PM
minnesota
B
beaverwarrior Offline OP
trapper
beaverwarrior  Offline OP
trapper
B

minnesota
Planning on a Backcountry hiking/ fishing trip this Summer. Which place would you considered the best option?

Re: Beartooths vs Wind Rivers [Re: beaverwarrior] #8134921
05/07/24 12:04 AM
05/07/24 12:04 AM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Whichever has lower number of grizz sightings and encounters.
Those big bears scare me, lol.

Re: Beartooths vs Wind Rivers [Re: beaverwarrior] #8134932
05/07/24 12:51 AM
05/07/24 12:51 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Depends on your survival skills. The Absaraka Beartooth wilderness area north of Jellystone will definitely. Have more GRiZ I worked for and outfitter they put in at the bear creek trail head, above Jardine then 22 miles north east to our base camp. Then had spike camps radiating 6 miles out from there. Mostly horse Packers and daytrippers. On the trails gorgeous scenery in both locations highest point in Montana is in the Beartooth right off the Bear Creek Trail

The wind river mountains east by south east of Pinedale has a lot more foot traffic, and day trippers.
There is good fishing in both the winds and the Beartooth

AND Keep a clean camp!!!!!

Camping regulations in bear country are strictly enforced with fines up to $750 not unheard of.

Good mosquito repellent is an absolute must.

There are some absolutely fantastic rock formations about seven or 8 miles? In from the fontanelle trail head
It’s been a long time, and my memory is not near as good as it used to be, but I had a lot of fun in both places back when I was a young man.

Get some good maps and learn how to read them also a good compass and learn how to use it
Best I can do for you off the top my head I would probably choose the Absororka Beartooths simply because there would be a lot less people and a lot Wilder country. Good luck and have fun.

Oh, if you have a smallish dog that cannot, or will not dance with the Bears, leave it at home they have a bad habit of going out snooping after squirrels and the like run into a bear and come leading him back into camp dead on the run.

Also, there are a lot of moose in that country. Cow moose with Calf’ are extremely dangerous. Stay back at least 100 yards and make noise when you’re going through thick stuff so that they know you’re there and can move out of the way.

That’s about all I can think of again be safe and have fun

Last edited by cmcf; 05/07/24 01:05 AM.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Beartooths vs Wind Rivers [Re: wytex] #8134945
05/07/24 01:14 AM
05/07/24 01:14 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by wytex
Whichever has lower number of grizz sightings and encounters.
Those big bears scare me, lol.

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Beartooths vs Wind Rivers [Re: beaverwarrior] #8134964
05/07/24 04:45 AM
05/07/24 04:45 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
You guys that live where things can kill you have it different than we in the east for sure. Worst thing we have to worry about are packs of free roaming dogs.

Re: Beartooths vs Wind Rivers [Re: beaverwarrior] #8135073
05/07/24 09:30 AM
05/07/24 09:30 AM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
I have no desire to hunt or fish in grizz country but have a very few times. I'll leave it to cmcf.
Take his advice.

Lots of good fishing around the state, plenty of spots without grizz but that big country calls some folks and I see why.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread