No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: Northof50] #8132460
05/02/24 10:24 PM
05/02/24 10:24 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Northof50
have the feds charge them, federal offence

Must be a Canadian thing ^^^^….. for the federal government to charge state government officials for doing their job.

What is the federal offense?

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132484
05/02/24 11:17 PM
05/02/24 11:17 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Thousands of years our vegetation levels cycled up and down, yet we just can’t seem to figure it out.

Used to be if you wanted less vegetation, you raised the water levels. Wanted more, you lowered. Now we just lower for both.

[Linked Image]

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: tlguy] #8132493
05/02/24 11:57 PM
05/02/24 11:57 PM
Indiana
D
DanN Offline
trapper
DanN  Offline
trapper
D

Indiana
Originally Posted by tlguy
DanN, be glad your state is investing in natural resources by raising license prices. Wisconsin resident prices have been mostly stagnant for 25 years and the DNR is going broke. Hard to attract and retain top talent with no money.

Be glad ? Glad for what ? Less of everything there used to be plenty of and pay a higher price to participate in it ? They are raising the fees, but it doesn't seem like its benefiting the natural resources.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: trapdog1] #8132495
05/03/24 12:03 AM
05/03/24 12:03 AM
Indiana
D
DanN Offline
trapper
DanN  Offline
trapper
D

Indiana
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by DanN
Anything the DNR gets their hands on they screw up. Ever increasing liscence fees and we have less game and fish than 20-30 years ago here. 30 years ago in this area there was and abundance of quail, pheasant, rabbits, and doves - not anymore. The smaller waterways were full of fish, mussels, large frogs , crayfish, turtles,ducks and muskrat - these are now nowhere near as plentiful as the used to be and every year there seems to be less sign of them - some places they are all but gone. The DNR is failing here.

Most of those fails are usually due to farming practices, development, etc.

Farming practices here have changed little in the time period stated and there is no development in this area.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: WIMarshRAT] #8132531
05/03/24 06:15 AM
05/03/24 06:15 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Thousands of years our vegetation levels cycled up and down, yet we just can’t seem to figure it out.

Used to be if you wanted less vegetation, you raised the water levels. Wanted more, you lowered. Now we just lower for both.

[Linked Image]

Just when ya think they are starting to figure it out.

So we lowered the water to repair a dam. Exposed some mudflats and got a cattail explosion. Hmmm
Now we drain it again to mow them?

I wonder what Mother Nature would do? They may want to review the Rush Lake timeline. Lower water prematurely promotes vegetation growth and densities, while lower water levels discourages muskrat activities. Muskrats are on site mowers.

If you build it they will come.

Last edited by nimzy; 05/03/24 06:26 AM.
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132567
05/03/24 07:16 AM
05/03/24 07:16 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
In our desire to control everything, we’ve lost our ability to see the forest through the trees or in this case, the marsh through the cattails.

All under the guise of user experience. And folks wonder why so many no longer trust the science.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132651
05/03/24 09:03 AM
05/03/24 09:03 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I'm no big fan of the DNR.
I don't think that the biologist are the issue tho.

Its the higher ups that make the decisions.
examples right off the top of my head.
Deer in the southern 1/2, we need to harvest much more deer (does).
Fish stocking in Lake Mich., we need to stock much less Chinooks and much more rainbows and browns.
State land in the area, its all poorly managed, no comprehensive plan on what they are managing for and little to no management.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: trapdog1] #8132658
05/03/24 09:15 AM
05/03/24 09:15 AM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Anything the DNR gets their hands on they screw up. Ever increasing liscence fees and we have less game and fish than 20-30 years ago here. 30 years ago in this area there was and abundance of quail, pheasant, rabbits, and doves - not anymore. The smaller waterways were full of fish, mussels, large frogs , crayfish, turtles,ducks and muskrat - these are now nowhere near as plentiful as the used to be and every year there seems to be less sign of them - some places they are all but gone. The DNR is failing here.

Most of those fails are usually due to farming practices, development, etc.

Above is what is causing the decline in quality wildlife experiences, far less hunters today than 40-60 years ago. So one would think the amount of available game to pursue would be much greater. As I have always said, no habitat = no game. That is why I believe the bounty program here is nothing more than a feel good ploy. We don’t have pheasants because we don’t have the habitat we once had. In areas with sloughs and cover, there has always been birds. Just those areas are few and far between so they take the brunt of pressure. Tough to hatch out chicks or survive winter here in tiled barren sections that at one time had a waterway or three…. Sad but reality today in big farming areas.

Long live the MAGA King
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132668
05/03/24 09:33 AM
05/03/24 09:33 AM
Iowa
O
ou812 Offline
trapper
ou812  Offline
trapper
O

Iowa
Sounds like a bunch of you guys should have gone into or still can get your schooling in and change the world of wildlife management. You burn when the conditions will allow, yep, nests will and can be lost. The overall health of the habitat is what is important. But heck, what do I know.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: Tray] #8132679
05/03/24 09:42 AM
05/03/24 09:42 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Tray
Burning is a critical part of proper grasslands management, especially with the push to use less chemicals to preserve native plants.
Many very good studies show a significant uptick in nesting in the 4-5 years following a burn, it’s just unfortunate that a year of nesting is lost, although it’s not uncommon here to find duck and pheasant nests in areas that were burned in the spring as the regrowth is fairly fast.
I’m not a burn expert but here I know it’s only a couple week window in the spring that they go, too dry before and to green later.

Go back and look at the area in 3-4 weeks and you will be amazed how fast it’s recovered.

Easy to see cause all the wildlife is gone.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: ou812] #8132691
05/03/24 10:12 AM
05/03/24 10:12 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by ou812
Sounds like a bunch of you guys should have gone into or still can get your schooling in and change the world of wildlife management. You burn when the conditions will allow, yep, nests will and can be lost. The overall health of the habitat is what is important. But heck, what do I know.

This^^^^

Yessir.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8132697
05/03/24 10:20 AM
05/03/24 10:20 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by ou812

This^^^^
Yessir.

X3

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132715
05/03/24 10:51 AM
05/03/24 10:51 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
I’m not opposed to lighting a match…frankly I can understand that most wildlife will nest again and the long term advantages outweigh the short term setbacks.

My issue is ignoring science because we tend to get tunnel vision.

Take the press release I posted.. What’s the issue? Cattails were they never had them before in deep water. They blame narrow leaf cattail. Well, what is causing it? Drawing down the water every summer. Mother Nature doesn’t draw down the water level every summer. Sure that is the natural pattern, but we also get wet years. Those wet years are there for a reason so we can’t ignore them.

Sure we can grow some extra food for the ducks by exposing mudflats. But if our only goal is feeding the birds, then we might as well go back to farming that ground and having farmers leave some crop behind for doing it and flooding the fields when they are done.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 05/03/24 10:56 AM.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: DanN] #8132736
05/03/24 11:18 AM
05/03/24 11:18 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline OP
trapper
randall brannon  Offline OP
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by tlguy
DanN, be glad your state is investing in natural resources by raising license prices. Wisconsin resident prices have been mostly stagnant for 25 years and the DNR is going broke. Hard to attract and retain top talent with no money.

Be glad ? Glad for what ? Less of everything there used to be plenty of and pay a higher price to participate in it ? They are raising the fees, but it doesn't seem like its benefiting the natural resources.

Wisconsin needs to ask themselves WHY do you need to APPLY for Turkey and Bear Tags and WHY are the licenses so high??? In WV if you are a land owner you do not need to buy ANYTHING if you are hunting on your own land nor do you have to APPLY for any BS tags. Landowners can harvest the same number as a legal hunter can and sometimes even more. Yet WV still has more Deer Turkey and game than Wisconsin does and we do not have near the Farmland that Wisconsin does but we have better practices than burning during a nesting season.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132743
05/03/24 11:24 AM
05/03/24 11:24 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
back in the 60's and 70's Ranchers out west did controled burns to promote grasslands that got stopped Now the gov. promotes it Ive seen in Michigan how the DNR controls their burns

olden tyred
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132786
05/03/24 12:03 PM
05/03/24 12:03 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Lots of counter productive policies and goals when dealing with multiple agencies SD is always promoting habitat then the weed board wants the weeds gone. CRP is often cut under “emergency” conditions but the term emergency seems abused at times it seems like. Like burning there in WI they allowed cattle to graze on game production areas during the nesting season that seemed counter productive in several ways.

Some poorly thought out issues I have dealt with over the years in multiple states

MI decided to blow up a beaver dam the second day of trapping season I lost a lot of gear when gear was tough to come by.

MO decided to burn off a large area of a public hunting area during the turkey hunting season.

USFS blocked off a huge area of National Forest to regular vehicles but installed ATV wide accessible gates. The only problem we ever has was from 4 wheeler going off road illegally that seemed ironic.

The constant desire for habitat seems wasted when huge burns on public ground takes place and trees are cleared in some places. I know burning has many benefits but it just looks counterproductive at times. Here cover is about nonexistent in the winter for miles so what little cover we have gets flattened by drifting so it’s less beneficial to most wildlife.

Farming here has gone more towards the Illinois practices of fence to fence farming the old buffer zones are a thing of the past now. I don’t have the answers but the problems are out there not blaming anyone just noticing the irony of it all.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: Law Dog] #8132839
05/03/24 01:47 PM
SE Wisconsin
D
duckbird61 Offline
trapper
duckbird61  Offline
trapper
D

SE Wisconsin
I dont agree with everything Wis Dnr does, I know they have impacted my deer hunting style in the central forest. When I hunted Grand River In the early 1970s the were few if any cattails, duck food and ducks were abundant, great hunting. When the cattails came in duck hunting quality dropped immensely, havent hunted there since the 80s, can they make the the water deep enough to drown out the invasives?

Dont know about hunter numbers in West Virginia but Wisconsin kills about 3 times as many deer and 4 times as many turkeys

The WDNR wants far more deer harvested in southern half of state with numerous free tags available, seems like hunters just dont want to shoot more

As most of the good trappers know it is all about the HABITAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132840
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
When you're dealing with Government employees, they feel they are more educated regarding wildlife than the mere public. They make the mistake of confusing education with being smart. On top of that and even more repugnant, are the states that still allow the public to vote on wildlife management issues, that's even more stupid. The public ALWAYS votes with emotions, and you can't use emotion to manage wildlife. It's then that we lose the science that's brought back many species that were on the verge of disappearing 120 years ago, before forward thinking men like Teddy Roosevelt brought "The North American Model of Wildlife Management" forward and established state wildlife agencies, seasons and regulations. Let's not forget that it was the government following popular opinion of the time (manifest destiny) that wiped out the buffalo, grizzly bears, wolves, and subjugated the indigenous people of the time. Government has NOT changed the way they think or act.

Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132856
05/03/24 02:28 PM
05/03/24 02:28 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
One big problem I see is managing wildlife from the office off of statistics with little feedback from the field.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: WI Biologists do it again [Re: randall brannon] #8132934
05/03/24 05:19 PM
05/03/24 05:19 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan

Wisconsin needs to ask themselves WHY do you need to APPLY for Turkey and Bear Tags and WHY are the licenses so high??? In WV if you are a land owner you do not need to buy ANYTHING if you are hunting on your own land nor do you have to APPLY for any BS tags. Landowners can harvest the same number as a legal hunter can and sometimes even more. Yet WV still has more Deer Turkey and game than Wisconsin does and we do not have near the Farmland that Wisconsin does but we have better practices than burning during a nesting season.[/quote]

Huh..? They must not be teaching numbers down in WV....you barely have half the deer that Wisconsin has. Whatever West Virginia has, Wisconsin has it better. Maybe Wisconsin can loan WV a couple of their drip torches to help them out. smile

Last edited by midlander; 05/03/24 05:29 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread