No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Who has the most members? #8130522
04/29/24 03:18 PM
04/29/24 03:18 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline OP

Central Pennsylvania
The NTA, or the FTA?

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130558
04/29/24 04:17 PM
04/29/24 04:17 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

NTA. Your state association probably has more member's than FTA.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130572
04/29/24 04:56 PM
04/29/24 04:56 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
And NTA for the most part usually had the bigger conventions. Always looked at the FTA as the blue collar trapping organization with good people.

FTA Trappers College has helped many, especially back when the information didn't flow so freely.

Loyalty to them is easy for me since they were pretty much "it" from the 60's-90's around here....Kentucky used to not even have a NTA representative, and doubt they do now.

The UTK has done a fine job during their time here as well, and has made more effectual difference than the national organizations, IMO.

Member - FTA
Re: Who has the most members? [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #8130745
04/30/24 12:07 AM
04/30/24 12:07 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I don't know how current the stats are but a few years ago the NTA was about 9K and the FTA about half that or a tad less. Don't know what a decade of low trapping activity has done.

Bryce

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130751
04/30/24 04:14 AM
04/30/24 04:14 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Nittany Lion  Offline OP

Central Pennsylvania
T-Man has more members than the FTA and NTA added together.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130824
04/30/24 08:07 AM
04/30/24 08:07 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
I'm too cheap to join and too lazy to help.
I'm sure others have better excuses.

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130829
04/30/24 08:18 AM
04/30/24 08:18 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
You guys ever notice a group standing around waiting on someone to do the work? i think that’s what you get when you rely on an umbrella national organization too much. If you can put together a strong group within you own state to work on issues within your own state and if many states did this I think trapping overall would be stronger. Most never trap outside their own borders. It’s surprising ,or was to me, how receptive our own fish and wildlife was to bringing trapping in Kentucky up to speed. We had numerous problems and outdated nomenclature we were able to clear up by going hat in hand and working directly with them. I realize some states are too far gone for this but if not, a group of you guys ought to try it. You can still support national organizations while doing this. We are affiliated with Sportsmen’s Alliance and they very quickly came in to help us when a baby anti trapping issue sprang up and they ended it quickly.

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130838
04/30/24 08:46 AM
04/30/24 08:46 AM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

ky, just do like we did, let the game and fish dept run the trapping association, get rubber stamped anything they want to do now whether it helps trapping or not.

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Wright Brothers] #8130848
04/30/24 09:09 AM
04/30/24 09:09 AM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
I'm too cheap to join and too lazy to help.
I'm sure others have better excuses.

Look at it this way: by not joining or doing anything, you get to benefit from the work of others, plus you save a few bucks too. That should make you feel better.

Last edited by CTRAPS; 04/30/24 09:10 AM.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Jtrapper] #8130896
04/30/24 10:39 AM
04/30/24 10:39 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Originally Posted by Jtrapper
ky, just do like we did, let the game and fish dept run the trapping association, get rubber stamped anything they want to do now whether it helps trapping or not.

We’ve been at loggerheads with them at times. They’ve been very good overall listening to trappers and working with us. We haven’t gotten everything our way. Trying for a long time to get a two day check on water sets. We were sabotaged by another group telling everyone we wanted two day check on land sets. I bet you can guess what group it was. They didn’t get our support for the next thing they wanted. If this method of working for trapping is undertaken you must know when to agree or disagree.

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: kytrapper] #8130924
04/30/24 11:27 AM
04/30/24 11:27 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by kytrapper
You guys ever notice a group standing around waiting on someone to do the work? i think that’s what you get when you rely on an umbrella national organization too much. If you can put together a strong group within you own state to work on issues within your own state and if many states did this I think trapping overall would be stronger. Most never trap outside their own borders. It’s surprising ,or was to me, how receptive our own fish and wildlife was to bringing trapping in Kentucky up to speed. We had numerous problems and outdated nomenclature we were able to clear up by going hat in hand and working directly with them. I realize some states are too far gone for this but if not, a group of you guys ought to try it. You can still support national organizations while doing this. We are affiliated with Sportsmen’s Alliance and they very quickly came in to help us when a baby anti trapping issue sprang up and they ended it quickly.

Revising that snare lock nomenclature was huge.... Big thanks on that one!

Member - FTA
Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8130981
04/30/24 01:05 PM
04/30/24 01:05 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
That and the issued number for trap tags so any problem as to who was actually in the right and wrong permission wise on a property was our first order of business. It wasn’t right having your name on a trap when an actual trespasser stole it and knew who you were and you had no idea. They still steal them though. The phone number on the tag was designed for all or any issues go through the conservation officer. These types of individual state things aren’t considered or touched by a national organization. They must be handled state to state.

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Jtrapper] #8131104
04/30/24 04:54 PM
04/30/24 04:54 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Jtrapper

Why did you do that?

Re: Who has the most members? [Re: Nittany Lion] #8131303
04/30/24 11:08 PM
04/30/24 11:08 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alot of bad blood existed between the boys in green and trappers in this state, had been that way forever. When i took over as prez. in 2000 i felt we needed a better working relationship with our game dept. same as what Ky has done. Kid workshop's is what brought the two groups together and healed old wounds. Next thing i know the state conservation director wanted to change some things which has to be done in our legislature which in itself is goofy and time consuming but a quick call to his buddy who id known forever and become involved with in the workshops helping get them off the ground and going was all that was needed for the entire state association to endorse the change he wanted.

A quick phone call to the then president and a letter with the letterhead was sent to present to the legislature showing all the membership was in favor it. No board meeting, no polling board member's their thoughts on it, NOTHING! Much less informing the membership it was even going on! And now you know why I resigned and walked away. Not a fan of one man shows, wasn't how i ran the association when i was president, board got to decide what we did and didn't do, not me.

Now the retired game warden and his wife run the whole association so it's just a rubber stamp for whatever montgomery wants to change. Thus the association is just an arm of the game and fish dept. now, members have no say in anything.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread