Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Red fox trapping, beginner. #8129870
04/28/24 03:31 AM
04/28/24 03:31 AM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
Hello everyone my fyrst post here. Hoping to Get some help. My dad runs a smal farm, we have sheep, its on an 45 square km Island. The last years there has come red fox to our Island, most likely because of humans, and the foxes catches lambs.

Want to decreas the red fox population. I have tried to hunt it with bait and shooting at night but its not easy and I have to Stay up all night.

Therefore I have set my mind on traps. I have some exsperience with hunting but absolutely nothing with trapping so I have been reading and looking at a couple of YouTube videoes.
I have been looking at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWR3DC3efUk, Is this something to start wth? Thankfull for all help.

Last edited by Sitkaspruce; 04/28/24 03:34 AM.
Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8129884
04/28/24 06:18 AM
04/28/24 06:18 AM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
That video should get you pretty close to making a catch.One thing he didn’t talk about was pan tension,pan travel and nite latching.Buying a trap that has a factory nite latch like a mb 450 or 550 will give you a lot better chance for success.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8129895
04/28/24 07:13 AM
04/28/24 07:13 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
I'll add that... sheep and traps don't mix....if possible only trap when sheep are pastured. They will blunder into your traps if you set them where they are not contained.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8129917
04/28/24 07:46 AM
04/28/24 07:46 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Dirthole is a good set for Red Fox.
Pick good locations to set trap. If 'this is the spot' set 2-3-4 sets here within 1.8 meters from one another.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130036
04/28/24 12:00 PM
04/28/24 12:00 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce
Hello everyone my fyrst post here. Hoping to Get some help. My dad runs a smal farm, we have sheep, its on an 45 square km Island. The last years there has come red fox to our Island, most likely because of humans, and the foxes catches lambs.

Want to decreas the red fox population. I have tried to hunt it with bait and shooting at night but its not easy and I have to Stay up all night.

Therefore I have set my mind on traps. I have some exsperience with hunting but absolutely nothing with trapping so I have been reading and looking at a couple of YouTube videoes.
I have been looking at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWR3DC3efUk, Is this something to start wth? Thankfull for all help.

That video and hundreds more like it will show you how to catch your fox. The question I have for you is do you have, or can you get the same type of equipment he uses? What traps do you have or can get? What baits or lures do you have or can get? What is your plan for staking or anchoring your traps? And is it legal to trap where you live?

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: HayDay] #8130063
04/28/24 01:22 PM
04/28/24 01:22 PM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
I am not sure if I can get equipment he is using. Most dealers will only ship in the USA, but maybe on eBay I can buy a foot hold trap, it is not legal with this trap in Norway but I am a little desperate now and this is in a rural lcation. Bait, I can get saltwather fisk, wet cat food, sausages and possible other things to, I dont know what is the best here. Lures I think I have to buy, maybe fox urine? Staking or anchoring, I am not sure its because I am on this forum to learn.

Last edited by Sitkaspruce; 04/28/24 01:45 PM.
Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Mad Scientist] #8130067
04/28/24 01:27 PM
04/28/24 01:27 PM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
That video should get you pretty close to making a catch.One thing he didn’t talk about was pan tension,pan travel and nite latching.Buying a trap that has a factory nite latch like a mb 450 or 550 will give you a lot better chance for success.

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist

Ok, I am not sure if I can get the right trap, I may have to buy what I can get on eBay, if I cant find a dealer who will ship to Norway. Should I get a soft catch trap or ordinary one? What will be the best, staking or an anchor?

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: MChewk] #8130072
04/28/24 01:36 PM
04/28/24 01:36 PM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
Originally Posted by MChewk
I'll add that... sheep and traps don't mix....if possible only trap when sheep are pastured. They will blunder into your traps if you set them where they are not contained.

Yes you Are absolutely right, I think I have to allternatives: One is outside the fence in the Woods, close by the sheep. The other allternative is to Wait untill one animal dies, thats inevitable. Then drag the dead sheep out on a suitable place and dig down one couple of traps close to the dead sheep and hope the fox will be traped in the night. This has to be done on one grazing field that is not used by the sheep at the moment.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Hern] #8130075
04/28/24 01:43 PM
04/28/24 01:43 PM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
Originally Posted by Hern
Dirthole is a good set for Red Fox.
Pick good locations to set trap. If 'this is the spot' set 2-3-4 sets here within 1.8 meters from one another.

There is no snow now and not much in the winter even at 60 degrees north, so how will I know if this is a god spot?

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130112
04/28/24 04:28 PM
04/28/24 04:28 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Since foot traps are not legal, you may want to consider a different method, such as setting snares. Are those legal? I have no experience with snares, but a lot of guys here do, and youtube if also full of videos of guys setting snares for fox and coyotes. Principle being the same. If that is possible, in the short run you may want to look at some of the primitive bushcraft videos on setting snares. Some of those you could try today.

Other videos show guys making snares, but those are also available already built from some dealers in US. But those may take some time getting to you.

It is also possible to build some primitive cage traps from wood scraps, although fox are rarely caught in cages. But could be something for you to try.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130114
04/28/24 04:30 PM
04/28/24 04:30 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
If the snare idea has merit, start walking your fence lines along the travel paths a fox might use from wooded areas into your pastures. Look for trails and places where they may be crawling under fences. It may be subtle, but a sharp eye can see them. Those fence crossings will be a good place to set your snares.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130123
04/28/24 04:59 PM
04/28/24 04:59 PM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
You probably don’t want to use a drag if you’re in a pasture area so you should figure out a staking method.If you can find some traps that can be shipped to you just post on here what you find and we can steer you in the right direction. A number 2 coil spring trap is a good choice they are sometimes called a 500 or 550 meaning a 5 or 5 1/2” jaw spread.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: HayDay] #8130300
04/29/24 12:10 AM
04/29/24 12:10 AM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
Originally Posted by HayDay
Since foot traps are not legal, you may want to consider a different method, such as setting snares. Are those legal? I have no experience with snares, but a lot of guys here do, and youtube if also full of videos of guys setting snares for fox and coyotes. Principle being the same. If that is possible, in the short run you may want to look at some of the primitive bushcraft videos on setting snares. Some of those you could try today.

Other videos show guys making snares, but those are also available already built from some dealers in US. But those may take some time getting to you.

It is also possible to build some primitive cage traps from wood scraps, although fox are rarely caught in cages. But could be something for you to try.

Snares Are legal in Sweden but not in Norway, the only legal way to catch red fox in Norway is alive in something that is called ‘’revebås’’ https://wok.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=30146473 those Are pretty big and I am not sure if the fox have so easy for entering the trap.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130399
04/29/24 09:33 AM
04/29/24 09:33 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Looks to be a larger, more expensive, more complicated version of our double ended wire cage traps.

https://jaktilierne.no/2015/03/sjekk-kunnskapssida/revebas/

The version of a box trap for rabbits I built years ago as a kid was along those lines, but much simpler trigger system and simpler single door. I have heard of guys catching a fox in a cage if the bait was good enough and they covered the trap with enough brush to blend it in and only presented a one way tunnel to get to the bait. Sometimes they eventually go in.

With such restrictions, I'm curious what your government has to say about livestock producers losing livestock to predators? Do they compensate you? Do they have viable suggestions? Ever issue special trapping permits? Or just expect you to suffer losses?

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130435
04/29/24 11:14 AM
04/29/24 11:14 AM
Norway
S
Sitkaspruce Offline OP
trapper
Sitkaspruce  Offline OP
trapper
S

Norway
Iff it is caught by wolf, wolverine, lynx, bear or eagle I think you will be compnsated but not if its a fox. There are no other predatorer than fox on this Island.

The boxtrap you are linking to is also a revebås, this is maybe the best way to do it because its legal, but its more epensive and a lot of job to build it.
I am a commutes, I think there is a revebås at home by someone, next time a go home I will hear with the lad it its worth the effort, but I dont think he has been able to caught a fox yet.

Re: Red fox trapping, beginner. [Re: Sitkaspruce] #8130622
04/29/24 08:14 PM
04/29/24 08:14 PM
Northern NY
T
Trapperman12 Offline
trapper
Trapperman12  Offline
trapper
T

Northern NY
When I was about 15, I bought a book called “Professional Fox Trapping” by a legendary Adirondack trapper, O.L. Butcher. Following exactly, the sets described in that book, I became the envy of my buddies who also trapped. We were all good at trapping rats and coons but only I was catching fox. Almost 50 years later I still have that book. If it is still available I would suggest getting a copy. That was the tool I used for learning to successfully trap fox.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91