No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: BTLowry] #8129975
04/28/24 09:34 AM
04/28/24 09:34 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by BTLowry
Awesome
Enjoy the time you have with the kids while you can, they will soon be grown and raising kids of their own.

No expert here but just offering some advice from experience

1) DO NOT start learning to use a baitcaster with braid. It is a pain to get backlashes out of and I was a professional backlash remover
15# mono would be good, not too big but big enough to pick backlashes out. I kept a small crochet hook to help pick lashes when I started out

2) Learn how to properly set the reel for the weight of the lure. I am sure there are utube videos but basically tighten the brake (not the drag) and then start loosening until the bait slowly falls.

3) pull about 40-50 yards of line off the spool and put a piece of scotch tape across the remaining line, reel line back over tape. The tape acts as a stop and brevents backlash from going all the way to the spool

Braid is sooooo much easier to get out than mono. You have much more of a mess with a mono backlash. Mono kinks and then has to be replaced. I start everyone out with braid. Just spooled up two new baitcasters for my grandsons with 30-pound performance braid. It's the only way to go.

As far as #2 goes. set the brake all the way up to 10 (or the highest setting) Then set the spool tension so the bait drops from the end of the rod at shoulder level and hits the ground as quick as it can without any backlash. As a person gets better at casting, you can turn the brake down based on the weight of the lure you're using. But for beginners, this is the best way to start out.

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: Providence Farm] #8129978
04/28/24 09:42 AM
04/28/24 09:42 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
Morning chores are done off to pick up line I didn't stop for on the way home. Something about being up 40 hrs I was just ready to be home. Also going to look for real covers and pick up more larger bait casters lures and practice casting weight for the yard. Then off to a lake somewhere and i can begin my pro back lash untangling can career. I have tew kids learning how to run bait casters after all.

The real I picked up is a tatula 7.1 100. The rod is a dobyns champion xp 653 6'3" 1 piece med heavy. For anyone that knows what they are and keeps up with different models. Honestly I don't know one from the other but something about this rod stood out over all the others though I can't explain what.

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: Providence Farm] #8129979
04/28/24 09:44 AM
04/28/24 09:44 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
What is the advantage of a baitcaster reel over an open spinning reel?
I did a lot of fishing as a kid with spinning rigs, I never knew anyone that used a baitcaster, or even saw one in a store. We had saltwater reels sorta like a baitcaster but you didn't cast with them, just release the spool and let out line and re engaged.... Just curious...

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: Providence Farm] #8129980
04/28/24 09:46 AM
04/28/24 09:46 AM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Online content
trapper
Guss  Online Content
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Your right a ugly stick rod cost 50.00 and reels and hooks are alot .

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: Providence Farm] #8130004
04/28/24 10:35 AM
04/28/24 10:35 AM
eastern washinghton
70sdiver Offline
trapper
70sdiver  Offline
trapper

eastern washinghton
I'm running ambassador c-4's on my steelhead and salmon rods.Run okuma guide select rods on most. The thing I like about the reels is there very easy to rebuild , there are a lot of youtube videos to walk a guy thru it.

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: gcs] #8130250
04/28/24 09:19 PM
04/28/24 09:19 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by gcs
What is the advantage of a baitcaster reel over an open spinning reel?
I did a lot of fishing as a kid with spinning rigs, I never knew anyone that used a baitcaster, or even saw one in a store. We had saltwater reels sorta like a baitcaster but you didn't cast with them, just release the spool and let out line and re engaged.... Just curious...

I have very little experience with them. Always used spinning reals. But from what I have seen if trying to cast far with my spinning real I'm putting a lot of effort into. But I can cast further with a bait casters with much less effort.

Are they better? Just a different tool. After all I have caught plenty of fish on a cane pole, stick with piece of line tied to it and a two liter bottle or other jug. All the pro bass fishing guys use them and I'm sure people with more knowledge and experience can add more to it.

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: BernieB.] #8130272
04/28/24 10:17 PM
04/28/24 10:17 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by BTLowry
Awesome
Enjoy the time you have with the kids while you can, they will soon be grown and raising kids of their own.

No expert here but just offering some advice from experience

1) DO NOT start learning to use a baitcaster with braid. It is a pain to get backlashes out of and I was a professional backlash remover
15# mono would be good, not too big but big enough to pick backlashes out. I kept a small crochet hook to help pick lashes when I started out

2) Learn how to properly set the reel for the weight of the lure. I am sure there are utube videos but basically tighten the brake (not the drag) and then start loosening until the bait slowly falls.

3) pull about 40-50 yards of line off the spool and put a piece of scotch tape across the remaining line, reel line back over tape. The tape acts as a stop and brevents backlash from going all the way to the spool

Braid is sooooo much easier to get out than mono. You have much more of a mess with a mono backlash. Mono kinks and then has to be replaced. I start everyone out with braid. Just spooled up two new baitcasters for my grandsons with 30-pound performance braid. It's the only way to go.

As far as #2 goes. set the brake all the way up to 10 (or the highest setting) Then set the spool tension so the bait drops from the end of the rod at shoulder level and hits the ground as quick as it can without any backlash. As a person gets better at casting, you can turn the brake down based on the weight of the lure you're using. But for beginners, this is the best way to start out.

Admittedly I have not bass fished in years, sounds like the current braid is nothing like what was available when I was using it.

Re: Fishing gear can get expensive [Re: Providence Farm] #8130283
04/28/24 10:45 PM
04/28/24 10:45 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Forgot to add took the boys fishing at a friend it's a nice mowed around manicured few lakes at a big local orchard, restaurant, farm store and winery. Our friend live in the middle of the orchard. It was all family area and there was a falling out and one moved and sold out and our friends bought that house . The family is very nice and let's our friends and their guest use their ponds except the area where they use for swimming on one of them who want hooks in their swimming area after all.

So the boys got to play with their new set ups in areas they didn't have to worry about many trees it was nice. One caught 8 the other 9 combo's of bass and crappie all released. We all got lessons in relaxing an dremiving back lash. It was a nice day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread