Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: drowning rods or cables for beaver [Re: TONY.F] #8127344
04/23/24 06:03 PM
04/23/24 06:03 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I prefer the long light tamarack pole and slide wires,
Its nice to pull the one pole with 2 or 3 beaver at the end on extended check.

Last edited by Boco; 04/25/24 01:24 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: drowning rods or cables for beaver [Re: TONY.F] #8127944
04/24/24 08:08 PM
04/24/24 08:08 PM
tughill, ny
W
woodlot Offline
trapper
woodlot  Offline
trapper
W

tughill, ny
I used cables for years, once I tried rods I never went back. They can be tough in the rocks. Usually I can get the bottom of the rod in a crack or under a rock. On the top I sometimes have to improvise. Usually I can find something to wire it to. In the mud they are wonderful. Push the bottom in, push a stake in on the top, get trap where you want it , lure, and your out.

Re: drowning rods or cables for beaver [Re: woodlot] #8128255
04/25/24 09:12 AM
04/25/24 09:12 AM
MT
1Simplemann Offline
trapper
1Simplemann  Offline
trapper

MT
Originally Posted by woodlot
I used cables for years, once I tried rods I never went back. They can be tough in the rocks. Usually I can get the bottom of the rod in a crack or under a rock. On the top I sometimes have to improvise. Usually I can find something to wire it to. In the mud they are wonderful. Push the bottom in, push a stake in on the top, get trap where you want it , lure, and your out.

Agreed. Cables have their place but my go to set up is drowning rods. This years was my 1st year w/ using Hags rods and ends. Only way to go IMO. Very light and fast. I can pull up and have a set done in 5 minutes. 47 Flat tails this spring. vast majority of them on Footholds and fiberglass drowning rods. I will admit at times 8' FG is too short.

Re: drowning rods or cables for beaver [Re: TONY.F] #8128402
04/25/24 01:03 PM
04/25/24 01:03 PM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline
trapper
KYBOY  Offline
trapper

East, Kentucky
I use rods wherever I can but my creeks can be pretty rocky so Im usually about 65/35 rods to cable, BUT I much prefer chain drowners to cable.. Never kink, never wear out. Easier to pull up.

Deep in the heart of Appalachia....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91