No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Set up my treestand [Re: jbyrd63] #8127292
04/23/24 04:31 PM
04/23/24 04:31 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Did you carry it in or use a vehicle ? Don’t know the area but I can assure you one thing. He won’t be using / traveling the same pattern in April he will be when hunting season comes in. You might have done that for nothing. With nothing more than a set of tracks in January I wouldn’t put up a stand in April fir a hunt in October or November. But what do I know.

It's a bedding area that this buck is using to get to the surrounding areas where they selective cut leaving plenty of feed(browse) and does.This is a big woods buck and when he is in this area chasing does it will be where he will be bedded down.He might travel to different areas chasing does during rut but guaranteed he will be here.Have seen his tracks multiple times.These big bucks will hunker down in these areas where they feel safe.

Nevada bound
Re: Set up my treestand [Re: Bruce T] #8127353
04/23/24 06:17 PM
04/23/24 06:17 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
It seems like there is a disconnect between the southern hunters and northeastern ones, lol. Imagine you guys would have had a heart attack if you'd seen some of the rickety wooden stands I grew up hunting in up north. And yes, metal stands usually got hung in the early summer and left there forever. Shortly before season you'd do a scouting trip to the area and replace any straps if they'd rotted with ones you brought along for the purpose. But the stand I'm using now got 8 years out of the last set of ratchet straps staying out year around.

I bet Bruce hunts wearing a non-camo wool coat, too, lol.

New England is stuck in the 1950s as far as hunting goes, and I think it's great.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 04/23/24 06:18 PM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Set up my treestand [Re: Bruce T] #8127365
04/23/24 06:38 PM
04/23/24 06:38 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bruce T; 04/23/24 06:59 PM.

Nevada bound
Re: Set up my treestand [Re: Bruce T] #8127498
04/23/24 10:04 PM
04/23/24 10:04 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
May as well take the stand down now Bruce.
The Byrd has spoken. laugh
He assured you. Lol

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Set up my treestand [Re: yotetrapper30] #8127516
04/23/24 10:41 PM
04/23/24 10:41 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
It seems like there is a disconnect between the southern hunters and northeastern ones, lol. Imagine you guys would have had a heart attack if you'd seen some of the rickety wooden stands I grew up hunting in up north. And yes, metal stands usually got hung in the early summer and left there forever. Shortly before season you'd do a scouting trip to the area and replace any straps if they'd rotted with ones you brought along for the purpose. But the stand I'm using now got 8 years out of the last set of ratchet straps staying out year around.

New England is stuck in the 1950s as far as hunting goes, and I think it's great.

Safety might be different depending on point in ones life. But any hunter that has chased whitetail know a deers habits change through out the year. With that said any farm I hunted more than a couple of years you can figure out the most used pathways. Farm hunted for 20 plus years had 2 trees I killed 90% of the deer from. Stand went up there every year first week October. I just don’t think 4 months to let the odor leave is necessary.

Re: Set up my treestand [Re: jbyrd63] #8127536
04/24/24 12:20 AM
04/24/24 12:20 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Safety might be different depending on point in ones life. But any hunter that has chased whitetail know a deers habits change through out the year. With that said any farm I hunted more than a couple of years you can figure out the most used pathways. Farm hunted for 20 plus years had 2 trees I killed 90% of the deer from. Stand went up there every year first week October. I just don’t think 4 months to let the odor leave is necessary.

Of course deer change habits throughout the year. But if a cagey old buck was using one travelway last December, I'd put a $20 on him using it again this December unless the terrain changes.

And no, 4 months to air out scent isn't necessary, or even 4 days, imo. But I personally despise hanging stands in the heat of September so would much rather hang them now.

Also not sure safety is an age thing as it was my 60+ year old Grandpa that put me up in most of them. Maybe he just didn't like me much? LOL

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 04/24/24 12:21 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Set up my treestand [Re: Bruce T] #8127753
04/24/24 01:50 PM
04/24/24 01:50 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
You can sit a very long time in a treestand up here waiting for a 200# buck to come along. You might stumble onto one once a year if you're lucky. Very lucky.

If you have the knack for it, tracking is the way to go. Pray for two to four inches of fresh snow and hunt for a track, not a deer.

Re: Set up my treestand [Re: bucksnbears] #8127782
04/24/24 02:42 PM
04/24/24 02:42 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline OP
trapper
Bruce T  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
May as well take the stand down now Bruce.
The Byrd has spoken. laugh
He assured you. Lol

Lol

Nevada bound
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread