No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Photo Phriday 132 - Bats #8124690
04/19/24 07:50 AM
04/19/24 07:50 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Online content OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Online Content OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I've had a request that this week's edition be some bat information. I worked on bats extensively in the 1970s, but didn't take the time to get good photos. Since that time (50+ years ago) WNS (white-nosed syndrome) has reduced bat numbers significantly (up to 95% reductions). In the old days, I spent countless nights shooting bats with a 12-gauge shotgun just to verify what species existed. I spent a lot of time in caves and mine shafts also, as well as with mist-nets. Shooting bats is no longer acceptable. I got many first records of bats in Idaho. At least 50 different species occur in North America. Some migrate; some hibernate. One bat can eat up to 30,000 mosquitos in a night. I think it's a shame that we simply don't see them much any more.

This is a western big-eared bat that came to live in my house.
[Linked Image]

These are little brown bats, probably the most common species.
[Linked Image]

This is a long-legged myotis, only identifiable in hand (as are many species).
[Linked Image]

Re: Photo Phriday 132 - Bats [Re: Gulo] #8124704
04/19/24 08:09 AM
04/19/24 08:09 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Thanks Jack for pics, as you mentioned bats on downswing. Used to see bats when i started campfires as daylight dwindled. Hope things turn around. Wis has some bat programs to help increase bat populations among suburban areas and parks.

RdFx
Re: Photo Phriday 132 - Bats [Re: Gulo] #8124731
04/19/24 09:00 AM
04/19/24 09:00 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Thanks Jack for bringing along another thread.
I have had many encounters with bats.
From going into caves and banding Little Brown bats, that had some records going for 20 years until no more entry into the caves because of White nose
many limestone caves in central Manitoba had large concentrations of these bats, some records came from summer residents from southern Wisc and returned each fall
if the red squirrels could not climb in the bats were protected over the winter
Many were caught mist netting woodcock at night, mostly Hoary bats
a certain horse lady should not read any further...but bats have a very closely related " bed bug" on them that is only different in that they are hairy vs flat skinned like the human problem on.
many times after the summer raising of the young and dispersal these bugs want another feed, and as they move over their host (ie sleeping human) they have multiple bites 1 inch apart that turn red

Re: Photo Phriday 132 - Bats [Re: Gulo] #8126813
04/22/24 06:42 PM
04/22/24 06:42 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
I'm sure there are some evening fisherpersons that have had a bat encounter

The bats were always my concern when a large Saturniidae moth would come fluttering in under a street lamp post, who would be the fastest with a butterfly net or a bat. 9 times out of ten the bats won

Re: Photo Phriday 132 - Bats [Re: Gulo] #8126814
04/22/24 06:45 PM
04/22/24 06:45 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice

Nevada bound
Previous Thread