No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8125829
04/20/24 10:25 PM
04/20/24 10:25 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
So your trapping scent could have a negative affect on thermal hunter’s success?

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8125833
04/20/24 10:28 PM
04/20/24 10:28 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Hunters & trappers shouldn't be quarreling w/ each other.

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Wanna Be] #8125837
04/20/24 10:35 PM
04/20/24 10:35 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
So your trapping scent could have a negative affect on thermal hunter’s success?

Sure could.

But the thermal hunters probably gonna be more mad that a high percentage tool actually did the job and eliminated the coyotes. So the trapping scent is moot at that point. grin

Last edited by Boone Liane; 04/20/24 10:36 PM.
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8125850
04/20/24 11:04 PM
04/20/24 11:04 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I do both. It just a tool in the box for me. We don’t have fenced in areas, and not everyone down here traps nor do they thermal hunt. Any way we can reduce numbers is a win for landowners. I just got off the phone with a really large plantation asking me to come out and shoot, and they have a full time trapper. Different parts of the country have different needs. Y’all want them surviving for fur I’m guessing. We want them eliminated from the face of the Earth. Believe it or not there are thermal hunters that want them around as well. They’ll get permission from umpteen landowners and only hunt the property a few times a year. Landowners are starting to wise up though and get hunters/trappers that want them gone as much as they do. I tend to tick off both sides. The professional trappers come in and hit a property for 2-3 weeks and don’t come back for another 3-4 months. I hit a property a minimum of 4 weeks and leave when nothing is showing up on cameras or no tracks found. What I can’t catch, I’ll thermal hunt.
I hunted our hog population to where we haven’t had a pig on the place in about 4 months now. It was the same with the coyotes except about 2 months later others have moved in now.
The difference between the professionals and myself is they charge about $3000-3500 for 2-3 weeks of trapping regardless of catches. I just get paid by what I kill, cause I’m not a professional. I have a day job and on call every other week. All my trapping/shooting is done before/after work and I don’t feel it’s right to charge a fee for basically part time work.

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8125854
04/20/24 11:25 PM
04/20/24 11:25 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Nobody wants to save em here hoss. Especially not in a $10 market.

This is sheep country. They don’t want them killed, they need them killed.

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Boone Liane] #8125858
04/20/24 11:57 PM
04/20/24 11:57 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
In the other scenario you’re using their travel patterns and scent. One has nothing to do with the other.

Bologna.

Don’t underestimate a coyotes ability to associate one with the other. Selection pressure is NOT exclusive to a single means.

Both are forms of human intrusion. Scent, sight, and sound.

At some point, ANY form of human intrusion is taken as a negative.

Human intrusion at night, normally a safe time, so much more so.

Boone is right especially where there are fewer people.
Coyote catch on fast, and a lot of them will just move to the next valley to avoid pressure.
They know the sound of the ranchers truck or ATV, when new ones come in they know it's not the usual rancher
Control guys would hate it if someone taught a coyote about scent and trapping.
They don't know what a trap is, but they know when something isn't right.
I learned most of my trapping coyote in Wyoming where there was a control guy working all year round.
I'm pretty sure it helped me learn to be a better trapper.
I've heard the same things Boone is saying from lifelong control guys

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8125928
04/21/24 07:33 AM
04/21/24 07:33 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Here in Maine a lot of coyotes are right on farms and right next to houses.

Nevada bound
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126010
04/21/24 10:12 AM
04/21/24 10:12 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Significant decline in cats. Not supposed to be shot at night though. Harvest numbers will come out in July and we will see if the cat harvest increased at the same time night hunting was implemented. I agree on it educating coyotes. Cats I don’t think it will.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126057
04/21/24 11:31 AM
04/21/24 11:31 AM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
I agree with that! gna be a lot of KS guys tagging cats that never have b4....

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126069
04/21/24 11:48 AM
04/21/24 11:48 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep. Those cats that come in at dawn are tough to see. Camouflage doesn't work too good with a thermal. I bet antler hunters won't be happy either.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126155
04/21/24 02:19 PM
04/21/24 02:19 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I will be joining the thermal hunting cult here this fall, can't wait to do so, it is less hunters and more dogs here, although soon to be more hunters as people with the income and like to shoot dogs see the difference, at which time the properties and laws of hunting will change as they always do when people in mass end up doing the same thing, PRESSURE on the areas.

To think that coyotes are not adaptive to infringement on their domains at day or night is just happy thoughts to keep one from not moving from area to area !

Coyotes are one of the most adaptive animals on this world, it's the reason they consistently end up back in an area that's liquidated them !! This is no secret, ignoring the fact only increase's arguments from people who wish to ignore the fact.

Enjoy the new sport while you can as thermals will do the same thing to areas as trapping and hunting has always done, control of use to the area, thats worse to me than waiting for the dogs to move back in, which they will eventually, it's in their DNA !!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126156
04/21/24 02:21 PM
04/21/24 02:21 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Y’all painting with a broad brush, lol. Trappers are out way more than thermal hunters, at least down here we are. Thermal hunters on the weekends I’d bet for most places and trappers are out daily.

I’d think on places that WANT them gone that you’d utilize every tool available.
Question for y’all, if you’re riding to check sets and see a coyote in a field/pasture/etc, are you stopping to shoot it or say I’ll catch him eventually?

Sounds like y’all are worried the thermal guys are going to take out a bunch of coyotes y’all could catch. If the goal is to rid the property of coyotes, I’d think the landowners would be happy with it.
Most stands are maybe 30min, sometimes less. Give a few vocals for a response and then switch to some prey, if nothing shows you move on to another spot or property.

I think y’all are confusing the term disrupting vs educating. It may disrupt a coyotes pattern but I don’t see it educating it on traps or how they work a set. Less coyotes to catch? Maybe. I mean if there’s only 4 on your property and they shoot two, then yeah, you now only have two to catch.

And I’ll say this, with an e-caller I now know where to put sets, lol. I live in the land of pine needles and leaf covered two tracks. There are few dirt spots for track ID, but that e-caller lets me know where those jokers live or are at sunset and sunrise. Spots get marked and traps set. Cameras are utilized quite a bit as well. When you have about 6 main roads and 40 miles of feed trails intersecting them you have to utilize them to figure out just where they’re roaming. Calling and hunting at night helps as well. The coyotes I don’t get a shot at has a set placed the next day. More times than not there’s a coyote waiting for me in a day or two. Sometimes it takes a week or more, depends on the time of year.

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126175
04/21/24 03:36 PM
04/21/24 03:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Killing coyotes is not the problem. Illegal here but very few are letting cats go. Cat populations do not rebound like coyotes. They are not as adaptable nor do they have big litters. Unlike coyotes the male does not help rear young but will kill them if he finds them. Same thing for deer with large antlers. Many wont pass them up. Shooting bucks wont hurt populations any but antler hunters are very protective of "their deer".

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126187
04/21/24 04:19 PM
04/21/24 04:19 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I think most in smaller states are miss judging just how many dogs are in the area to begin with.

When you are out in country thats large enough to hold many smaller states, it makes no difference, you can move clear out of the area for a week and come back and others have moved in, might not be the same in a smaller state. Due to the amount of dogs in that area, as well as the distance being covered with takers, takes them longer to move back in.

This might equate to seemingly less dogs for shooters and trappers to witness around.

It's quite easy to adjust ones thoughts to people pressure on many things, cause people move around a lot more and see less LOL

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Boone Liane] #8126205
04/21/24 05:03 PM
04/21/24 05:03 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Nothing but bad. It’s negatively effecting them greatly and long term. They’re on egg shells 24/7. Daytime calling/denning suffers tremendously, they quit working trap sets, if they’ve been hunted over bait they quit working baits.

The number the shooters kill doesn’t amount to a hill of beans but they sure educate and ding up a pile!

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, if just half the shooters out there killed just half of what they claim they do, there wouldn’t hardly be a coyote left out there.

X2

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126208
04/21/24 05:06 PM
04/21/24 05:06 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
From what I have witnessed they shoot a lot of everything and brag about it . Warden in this area turns a blind eye !

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Tommie] #8126233
04/21/24 05:44 PM
04/21/24 05:44 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Coyotes are very profisant at least here in Maine anyways.The more you kill the more that simply move into the area from surrounding areas.

Nevada bound
Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Bruce T] #8126312
04/21/24 07:32 PM
04/21/24 07:32 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Coyotes are very profisant at least here in Maine anyways.The more you kill the more that simply move into the area from surrounding areas.

I’d caught 12 during the Spring trapping and killed 13 Aug-Sept. I thought I’d killed them all and was pretty proud of myself.
Quail season ends and I’m ready to start scouting for turkeys and heard three different groups the first week of March! So much for getting rid of them. Back trapping and hunting trying to do some serious reduction in numbers before fawning season.

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: BigBlackBirds] #8126388
04/21/24 09:48 PM
04/21/24 09:48 PM
South Dakota
S
SoDaker Offline
trapper
SoDaker  Offline
trapper
S

South Dakota
Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds
At least this post tells me who the killers are and those that arent

Amen.

Re: Night hunting coyotes [Re: Wanna Be] #8126392
04/21/24 09:59 PM
04/21/24 09:59 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Y’all do realize people have been shooting coyotes off bait piles long before the public ever knew about thermals or NV? I don’t see how shooting coyotes makes them trap shy.
Maybe trapping the same place 9-12 months out of the year has made coyotes trap shy. In one scenario you’re using sound to draw them in. In the other scenario you’re using their travel patterns and scent. One has nothing to do with the other.

This^^^ is correct.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread