No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Turkey hunters [Re: sportsman94] #8125411
04/20/24 08:49 AM
04/20/24 08:49 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by sportsman94
I seem to be the minority, but I hardly ever carry a locator call. It has been my experience that if they aren’t gobbling on their own then they aren’t gonna do a bunch of gobbling with a locator. If they do want to gobble on their own then we have enough crows and owls that I generally don’t have to worry about it. A locator rarely, if ever has gotten a gobble from me. But like Nate alluded to, the wmas I hunt sound like a crow/owl convention starting opening day so they may just catch on to them

What I’ve found is if I can locate one with a locator call and get inside his bubble, he will respond to hen calls. I’m just wanting that shock gobble to let me know where he is. And even then sometimes you have to be close to get a shock gobble, but once I get in his bubble I can work him.
Yes, people ride the roads at the WMA’s with an owl hooter, crow call, and even an air horn. Out West I’ve seen them do it with an elk bugle. The trick is, don’t be anywhere close to a road.
With that said I once picked a block at a local WMA and after working it with about 5 miles on the GPS I was within 150yds of my truck walking the road back and struck a bird! I could see my truck when I shot him.

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Law Dog] #8125416
04/20/24 09:05 AM
04/20/24 09:05 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Owl call and coyote howl works here before sun up the crow call after sunrise never short on crows it seems like. If he’s sounding off nothing then until I set up and start with clucks just clucks go a long ways often.

Picked up this Eastern in WI this morning not very hot yet just starting to drag his wing tips. It took about 45 minutes to work him off one ridge to the ridge I was sitting next to on a trail. I had to stop calling for long periods then soft call to get him to budge in my direction.

[Linked Image]

Congratulations

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125455
04/20/24 09:59 AM
04/20/24 09:59 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Am I the only one who gobbles to get them to gobble? I have a shaker tube but usually just use my box call.

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125467
04/20/24 10:36 AM
04/20/24 10:36 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
Originally Posted by Mando
Do you use an owl call at all? Good to have in your bag of tricks?

Mando, I've used a ton of locater calls and have hunted in several different states on lots of private and public ground, for myself, you cannot beat the old HS strut barred owl call, the knight and Hale is next but not a very close second. You can still find the HS if you search a little, them for morning, and for evening a decent coyote howler, if I'm out in mid day I've always had best results cutting with a high pitched screaming hen long box.

IMG_20240420_092431769~2.jpg
Re: Turkey hunters [Re: DWC] #8125472
04/20/24 10:52 AM
04/20/24 10:52 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by DWC
Am I the only one who gobbles to get them to gobble? I have a shaker tube but usually just use my box call.

A good way to take fire or have guys move in on you on public out here maybe in high pressure areas no way.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125511
04/20/24 12:05 PM
04/20/24 12:05 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
I rarely, if ever, hunt public for turkeys. Permission is obtained far too easily for turkey hunting. I feel like the guys crawling behind strutting decoys have a far greater chance of getting shot that throwin a gobble off anridge to get a response.

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125517
04/20/24 12:19 PM
04/20/24 12:19 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

I'm blessed to have access to several good private turkey properties.

Anyone that only hunts public will have a much different outlook and very different techniques than those of us that are "private land privileged."

You public land-only turkey hunters (especially in the Southern US) have my respect!

Same goes for private vs public mature buck hunters. A good public land mature buck hunter has my utmost respect over someone that has access to good private land deer.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 04/20/24 12:21 PM. Reason: More Info

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: DWC] #8125519
04/20/24 12:22 PM
04/20/24 12:22 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by DWC
I rarely, if ever, hunt public for turkeys. Permission is obtained far too easily for turkey hunting. I feel like the guys crawling behind strutting decoys have a far greater chance of getting shot that throwin a gobble off anridge to get a response.

Agree I’d never use a gobbler decoy I seldom use a hen decoy if I do bring a hen decoy it stays in the truck or at the first set up close to the truck I’m running too much to be carrying anything extra.

Private and public are worlds apart the National Forest in restricted traffic areas is about as much public as I ever get.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8125520
04/20/24 12:24 PM
04/20/24 12:24 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Anyone that only hunts public will have a much different outlook and very different techniques than those of us that are "private land privileged."

You public land-only turkey hunters (especially in the Southern US) have my respect!

Same goes for private vs public mature buck hunters. A good public land mature buck hunter has my utmost respect over someone that has access to good private land deer.

Especially with today’s numbers. The WMA I cut my teeth on had 3 killed in ‘22, 7 in ‘23, and 1 so far this year. First 3 weeks of public season are quota hunts. 1 week each. This is also right at 20K acres…

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8125525
04/20/24 12:28 PM
04/20/24 12:28 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Agreed. You have my respect, and my sympathy. Public land around here isnt huge. And the city boys stack in there on top of each other thick.

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125528
04/20/24 12:41 PM
04/20/24 12:41 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
That’s the beauty of Turkey hunting,,,,, there’s a gazillion different ways to do it

None are wrong,, it can be how ever you want

I grew up on Turkeys in Alabama hunting clubs with my grandfather. Hunted the national forests/public all over the state’s.ranch’s in Texas. Up here in Canada

Nowadays,,, I enjoyed hunting places I’ve never been before. Shock’n’aw running/gunning

I’m a few years(hopefully many) from sitting in a blind or hunting someone’s yard bird,,,,,, but nothing wrong with that. It’s all good

Love spring time Turkey hunting!!

Enjoying all these threads

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125529
04/20/24 12:42 PM
04/20/24 12:42 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ll share a trick that’s worked for me on public land.
Most “turkey hunters” will hunt a couple hours and call it quits. If my first 2-3 spots have a truck parked at the gate, I’ll either move on or pull in behind them and sleep. When they come out, I go in. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to the hunters, and walk in as they were pulling out and struck a bird. I’m guessing they call as they walk out and unbeknownst to them a gobbler is in pursuit.
I also think the birds become accustomed to their routine. You get a gobble about 10 or 11 and it’s generally a workable bird.
I kill a majority of my public land birds between 1000-1400.
Something else that works and I can’t find any research on it so this is just my observations. If I roost a bird on public land, I will find a set up spot and do a fly up cackle like a hen going to roost. If that gets a gobble I don’t make another sound and ease on out. The next morning I won’t make a sound and set up. After fly down I’ll get a gobble when he gets close to where he thinks he heard that hen and it’s game on.
The biggest thing with today’s numbers are just finding a turkey.

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Wanna Be] #8125533
04/20/24 12:57 PM
04/20/24 12:57 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I’ll share a trick that’s worked for me on public land.
Most “turkey hunters” will hunt a couple hours and call it quits. If my first 2-3 spots have a truck parked at the gate, I’ll either move on or pull in behind them and sleep. When they come out, I go in. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to the hunters, and walk in as they were pulling out and struck a bird. I’m guessing they call as they walk out and unbeknownst to them a gobbler is in pursuit.
I also think the birds become accustomed to their routine. You get a gobble about 10 or 11 and it’s generally a workable bird.
I kill a majority of my public land birds between 1000-1400.
Something else that works and I can’t find any research on it so this is just my observations. If I roost a bird on public land, I will find a set up spot and do a fly up cackle like a hen going to roost. If that gets a gobble I don’t make another sound and ease on out. The next morning I won’t make a sound and set up. After fly down I’ll get a gobble when he gets close to where he thinks he heard that hen and it’s game on.
The biggest thing with today’s numbers are just finding a turkey.

All this^^^^^WORKS!!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125539
04/20/24 01:05 PM
04/20/24 01:05 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Another public trick is to circle a bird you locate so your calling from the woods and your not calling in the direction of the road, bad things happen to turkeys around the roads.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Turkey hunters [Re: Mando] #8125540
04/20/24 01:06 PM
04/20/24 01:06 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
Exactly what took place a couple days ago with this one

My buddy walking out a couple days ago,,,[Linked Image]

One thing about up here is,,,,,,, there’s not a lot of super savvy Turkey hunters

Compared to down south,,,, Everyone is a Turkey killer

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread