No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124825
04/19/24 11:33 AM
04/19/24 11:33 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I don’t think anyone’s been mean to him and it’s no disrespect.
I’m with the few on here that the money he’s spends on “junk” he could’ve bought several high end sub moa rifles and optics and probably be punching cloverleafs out to 500yds.
Yes, some of us are a little older and would rather see him save a little money and buy quality vs subpar. Maybe it’s the “dad” in us. What’s the saying…you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig?
I’d also imagine some of us grew up poor and had to use the subpar components and know what it’s capabilities are, hence why I now save up until I can get the good stuff, lol.
Just trying to help a young man out.

Editing to mention I don’t have “high end” gear. I research and buy the best quality I can afford. I don’t own a rifle over $1000, but they all shoot moa and a couple shoot seriously sub moa…like gotta walk down and look at target because the spotter calls miss on shots 2 and 3, lol. And all shooting is done in a vice where the only human factor is my finger touching the trigger.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 04/19/24 11:41 AM.
Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: gcs] #8124829
04/19/24 11:43 AM
04/19/24 11:43 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by gcs
You mean you don't have a shooting bench at your place already?....

Nope , hate shooting off a bench honestly, I'll do it but if given the option I'm a prone guy all day

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124846
04/19/24 12:15 PM
04/19/24 12:15 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
So tell us about these affordable sub moa rigs.
Some of us need updated / educated.
Should I rechamber my ought6 to metric Creedmore?
lol

There was this kid with an old ugly Mauser.
Once the dust settled so did the snide remarks.
That was his first and last competition shoot.

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wright Brothers] #8124850
04/19/24 12:35 PM
04/19/24 12:35 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
lol

If your shooting deer at under 100yd and you have a gun you like , who cares
If your not a gun nut and a thinker and view a gun as nothing more then a tool who cares
If your built to where most factory guns fit you out the box who cares
If you like tracking game the standard what ever distance who cares
If your your the type of person who takes. A season or two to go though a 20rd box of shells who cares
If you've killed more deer with pie plate groups and that's all you need for your needs WHO CARES

let me honest most average guys who are gonna double lung a deer at all of 60yd DO NOT NEED sub MOA 6mm wizbang calibers and rifles with high end optics. Heck anything that will shoot a half way decent expanding bullet into a fist sided group at 100yd is really all most people NEED.

Now you got guys like boone who NEED high end rides and optics can cutting edge calibers for what they do he can't afford misses or not being able anchor everything he hits

The you have guys like me who very simply just enjoy all this stuff ( a concept that eludes so many for some reason) and it's a bit of a obsessive hobby. It's no different then guys who are big into cars and performance engines or golf I guess .

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124852
04/19/24 12:37 PM
04/19/24 12:37 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by gcs
You mean you don't have a shooting bench at your place already?....

Nope , hate shooting off a bench honestly, I'll do it but if given the option I'm a prone guy all day

does the public range prohibit shooting prone?

I get hay too high at home although a remedy for that it to make a shooting platform simple and comfortable and not high cost

one sheet of plywood and six 8 foot 2x4 about 8 sand bags

nail together a 4x8 frame 16oc screw the plywood too the frame top and bottom screw down cleats over the plywood

probably paint it to keep it nice longer

start with 4 sand bags 2 at the foot 2 at the head and build up the head end as needed to get your elevation
being so short you may need to move the cleat up so that the front sling swivel of the rifle is at the front edge of the sheet of plywood or a little in front of it

lay your mat out over the platform

you might toss some wheels on it like lawn mower wheels from the scrap pile so that you can easily roll it out and put it away under that car port to keep it nice.

next thing you know you will be affixing a brass catcher and some screen to the side of it , a little box off the side to hold your ammo and such and a mount for the spotting scope.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Crappiekiller] #8124856
04/19/24 12:43 PM
04/19/24 12:43 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Crappiekiller
Originally Posted by Yes sir
What's the gun? Make and caliber? New gun?
I'm guessing 243 by looks and numbers

This would be great to know.

.243 and serria 95gr TMK's new starline brass fitted stock that's all I'll say. Was tempted to say it was one brand or another just to see what some would say about the groups it shot ,but this is proving that regardless of the MOA and less groups a shoot my stuff will be considered junk regardless laugh

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8124858
04/19/24 12:49 PM
04/19/24 12:49 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
quote=GREENCOUNTYPETE]
[quote=gcs]You mean you don't have a shooting bench at your place already?....

does the public range prohibit shooting prone?

I get hay too high at home although a remedy for that it to make a shooting platform simple and comfortable and not high cost

one sheet of plywood and six 8 foot 2x4 about 8 sand bags

nail together a 4x8 frame 16oc screw the plywood too the frame top and bottom screw down cleats over the plywood

probably paint it to keep it nice longer

start with 4 sand bags 2 at the foot 2 at the head and build up the head end as needed to get your elevation
being so short you may need to move the cleat up so that the front sling swivel of the rifle is at the front edge of the sheet of plywood or a little in front of it

lay your mat out over the platform

you might toss some wheels on it like lawn mower wheels from the scrap pile so that you can easily roll it out and put it away under that car port to keep it nice.

next thing you know you will be affixing a brass catcher and some screen to the side of it , a little box off the side to hold your ammo and such and a mount for the spotting scope.

I can but the way the range is made the 100yd berm is a bit be weird to aim at front the ground that an dit gets annoying when you have everyone their mom going " you know they have a bench here it's so much better then shooting off the ground". Also idk why but I kills my shoulder (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off a bench. Probably because most are ones size fits most and I'm not most lol

But like the idea of the platform! Really need to build something like that

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wright Brothers] #8124860
04/19/24 12:57 PM
04/19/24 12:57 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
lol

Assuming the smart remark was to me…So all Rugers 3 Americans in .308, .243, and 7mm/08. A Predator in .308. And an M77 in .280.
We aren’t gun nuts nor do we care about shooting long ranges…but we want to know if we “need” to that we can. Longest range we have access to is 500yds. We don’t reload so yeah, I’ve spent a little money shooting different ammo to get the groups we want and be able to take down deer. The only tracking I do is on archery taken deer and we’ve been fortunate enough the last several years to watch them fall. Still start at impact just to practice the blood trailing.
Why folks get their panties in a wad when someone offers their personal advice is beyond me. Especially when it’s on an open forum. Almost like a nerve was hit, lol.

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124862
04/19/24 01:01 PM
04/19/24 01:01 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
I like a taller bench rather
than haunching over and down into the recoil.
My form is probably wrong according to some.

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124866
04/19/24 01:17 PM
04/19/24 01:17 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

I can but the way the range is made the 100yd berm is a bit be weird to aim at front the ground that an dit gets annoying when you have everyone their mom going " you know they have a bench here it's so much better then shooting off the ground". Also idk why but I kills my shoulder (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off a bench. Probably because most are ones size fits most and I'm not most lol

But like the idea of the platform! Really need to build something like that

fastest way to shut people up about shooting prone

In his infinite wisdom , the creator failed to put a bench where every deer or hog would need shooting.
but he left me a patch of ground in all of them to get steady on . I just took that as a sign I should get good at shooting prone.

it kills your shoulder because prone your entire body is behind the gun to absorb the recoil and move with the gun your entire body a shock absorber.
at the bench your scrawny shoulder is behind the gun with nothing behind it. and your a rag doll getting blown around by the recoil.

I can get more stable prone and I have a foot and an inch on you and weigh in at 275

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124873
04/19/24 01:21 PM
04/19/24 01:21 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Didn't at all mean to be smart butt or seem wadded.
Friends have Ruger rifles and like them fine.
I have a ren700 that WAS a tack driver until
the Brothers and I shot the barrel out.
Been studying these pre-fit barrels some and
talking with local Smith but so far just talk.
Also have a newer 700 but not in the
same league as the elder was.

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124876
04/19/24 01:26 PM
04/19/24 01:26 PM
robertson co ky
S
sako22 Offline
trapper
sako22  Offline
trapper
S

robertson co ky
my old 788 remington 6mm doesn't shoot those tipped gamekings worth a hoot. But it shoots the old 85 grain hollow point gamekings really good with AA4350 powder. It likes the Accurate powder better than the IMR 4350

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124899
04/19/24 02:06 PM
04/19/24 02:06 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
What we’ve found in the Rugers is the heavier the bullet the better groups we get. My thermal rifle is a .308 shooting 165gr bullets. Yeah, not a fur friendly caliber or bullet selection, but I also don’t get a lot of stationary targets and wanted something a little more forgiving. Most of my pics have to be really positioned to be internet worthy. Some just don’t get shown because there’s no way to put both halves of the critter back together for a decent pic.
I’ve been “tempted” to run something different on an AR other than 5.56. Want an upper with a little more “oomph” but at the same time keep it light. Considering 300ACC and closer shots only. For hogs, that would be very doable. For coyotes maybe not so much unless I’m in the bottoms.

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wolfdog91] #8124904
04/19/24 02:10 PM
04/19/24 02:10 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I was looking at 243/6mm bullets and thought the 95 grain GKs where for 9 or faster barrels.

In the end the last word is how accurate a gun shots.
Accurate guns are cool.

Looks like your gun has the potential to be 1/2 moa gun wolfie and that's cool in my book. I dont believe in mulligans when shooting groups even if it's a known pull which you seem positive it was and I believe you but until the gun shots the "group" it hasn't done it yet.

Will add when anyone posts you are opening yourself up for good and bad attention, just accept it.

Last edited by Yes sir; 04/19/24 02:18 PM.
Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wright Brothers] #8124910
04/19/24 02:17 PM
04/19/24 02:17 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Didn't at all mean to be smart butt or seem wadded.
Friends have Ruger rifles and like them fine.
I have a ren700 that WAS a tack driver until
the Brothers and I shot the barrel out.
Been studying these pre-fit barrels some and
talking with local Smith but so far just talk.
Also have a newer 700 but not in the
same league as the elder was.

REMAGE or Remington threads savage style barrel nut
is the newer thing in barrel replacement.
you may have to let the stock for the barrel nut but it allows you to re-barrel without needing a lathe to turn your shoulder

Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: Wright Brothers] #8124916
04/19/24 02:54 PM
04/19/24 02:54 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
lol

I got one for you savage axis. Slap a 3-9 vortex copper head on it. 243 or 270 Right out of the box. Shootingest under 500 dollars you will every see.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 04/19/24 04:38 PM.
Re: Needs a little tuning [Re: jbyrd63] #8124919
04/19/24 02:58 PM
04/19/24 02:58 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

I got one for you savage axis. Slap a 3-9 vortex copper head on it. 243 or 270 Right out of the box. Shootingest under 500 you will every see.

Lol!! 😂

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread