No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Resources for kids and trapping education #8123377
04/17/24 10:32 AM
04/17/24 10:32 AM
Wi
T
trappingwi Offline OP
trapper
trappingwi  Offline OP
trapper
T

Wi
Good morning. My oldest boy is seven, and on Friday it's his turn to teach the class a skill. He chose trapping, which should be a good time. I planned on taking the springs off a few smaller traps so no one gets a pinched finger. We'll discuss all the basics like why we trap, ethics, laws, and how to actually make a set. Does anyone have any info or resources geared towards kids of that age?

Re: Resources for kids and trapping education [Re: trappingwi] #8123392
04/17/24 11:01 AM
04/17/24 11:01 AM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Try contacting Muskrat or Beav on here, they probably can help.

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Resources for kids and trapping education [Re: trappingwi] #8123426
04/17/24 12:32 PM
04/17/24 12:32 PM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
Depending on how long you have for the class, you probably have too much to cover already, I know we do a class for the wildlife management class at the local high school and have about an hour and all we can cover is the why, ethics, a little bit of the law and just touch on the various types of traps. Then we have a second session that is in the field where we actually discuss sets and make sets. A third session where we check the sets we have made and discuss the animals caught and a fourth session where we skin flesh and board a beaver and dissect the beaver to discuss anatomy. Obviously this is above what you are doing but my point is that the class block goes by quickly and it is better to have less material than to run out of time in the middle of the topic. We use the "Destroying the Myth Video" but it is probably above the age level of students you will have.

I really enjoy doing it, a lot of the class is just paying enough attention to pass the test but there are always 2 or 3 that are really interested in it.

I taught a trapping seminar for the local 4H we did two evenings and most of the day on Saturday, it was a huge success and I have already been asked to do another one next year with a water trapping theme and do so actual trapping and fur handling as part of the class. It is a lot of fun working with these youngsters and while they may never become trappers many will remember the fun class they had way back when and will view in a more favorable light.

Oh and I contacted Duke Traps and they sent me enough catalogs for the students and a sticker, I didn't realize how excited young folks get over a simple sticker.

Last edited by K91773; 04/17/24 12:33 PM.
Re: Resources for kids and trapping education [Re: trappingwi] #8123438
04/17/24 01:04 PM
04/17/24 01:04 PM
New Jersey
CJonesFTA Offline
trapper
CJonesFTA  Offline
trapper

New Jersey
Is it this Friday? I'd love to send out some track cards and stickers from the FTA, but they won't make it before Friday.

There are some great videos from AFWA posted here: https://www.freshtracks.tv/trapping-instruction-videos

You may want to each out to Jenna Malinowski at Jenna.Malinowski@wisconsin.gov she might have some WI things that would be appropriate.

Cristina Jones
Fur Takers of America
www.furtakersofamerica.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread