ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Mole guys #8122382
04/15/24 06:45 PM
04/15/24 06:45 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline OP
trapper
jalstat  Offline OP
trapper
J

illinois
Got one that tunnels around my foundation. Set trap back from where he stops next morning a couple more feet another trap same senerio, where does the mole go or is it stopped right where the tunnel ends ?ty all

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8127060
04/23/24 06:21 AM
04/23/24 06:21 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
3 possible answers:

1. He stopped digging there.
2. He sensed the trap and decided to dig down under it.
3. He’s a ghost mole and can move through soil without digging it.

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8129780
04/27/24 09:29 PM
04/27/24 09:29 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline OP
trapper
jalstat  Offline OP
trapper
J

illinois
Ty for information

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8130405
04/29/24 09:53 AM
04/29/24 09:53 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
I have what looks to be moles working my yard, except there are few if any runs on the surface. Just pushed up mounds. Gobs and bunches of them all over. When I've dug down to find the tunnel, from center of mound, it ran down at a steep angle, but 6 to 8 inches deep. Have no clue where it goes to after that as runs are deep below the surface. If these are moles, what are they up to? Only thing I can think of is they are deep, as that is where the japanese beetle larva are. Feeding on those?

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8130471
04/29/24 12:56 PM
04/29/24 12:56 PM
Ohio
T
TrapperE Offline
trapper
TrapperE  Offline
trapper
T

Ohio
if you have mole questions, Tony H will help you that is his exact username, he helped me and he has a mole trapping youtube channel I forget what its called though

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8130477
04/29/24 01:16 PM
04/29/24 01:16 PM
Missouri
T
Tony H Offline
trapper
Tony H  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri
Hi there. So the mounds are where the mole has excavated to make runs. It’s good practice to probe between mounds To find the deeper run. They sometimes make their runs directly in line with the mounds but more often they will be slightly off center to one side. Tunnels that lead up to mounds are generally singular and used solely to push the dirt out. Setting a trap in that tunnel is a waste of time (and a trap). So probe between mounds to find the run connecting the Cleanout tunnels. I prefer to set on surface runs that lead into a feeding area. Look for the main run (there might be more than one) that leads to an area where the tunneling just goes crazy and has no rhyme or reason. That’s a feeding area. Set on the runs leading to or leaving those areas. And finally, any singular stretch of surface tunnel is a good spot to start. Don’t get too picky, just get some traps in the ground. Take your time and set them properly. Don’t dig up any more than you have to to get the traps set. Minimal disturbance is key.

This is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to moles. My YouTube is @molereapertraps. I’ve also got a website. Not sure if I can post it on here but you should be able to find it. Good luck!

Last edited by Tony H; 04/29/24 01:17 PM.

Need mole traps? Check out my website at www.molereapertraps.com
Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8132171
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
Tennessee
S
Square Offline
trapper
Square  Offline
trapper
S

Tennessee
How long should you leave traps in one place if you don’t catch a mole?

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8132213
Yesterday at 03:48 PM
Yesterday at 03:48 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
If you don’t get them the first day/night your set is probably not going to get them. We check our mole traps once a week for ease of scheduling.

I’ve read that they travel through existing tunnels at 80 feet/hour. In a really torn up yard, there’s probably 2-300 feet of tunnels in my area. That’s them checking them every 4 hours or so. Place them on the highways and they are moving through much more often.

Re: Mole guys [Re: jalstat] #8132216
Yesterday at 03:51 PM
Yesterday at 03:51 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
It’s probably worth saving we have an average of 1-3 moles in a yard we’re hired to clear. Some guys post here that they are regularly pulling something like 20 moles out of a yard. I think my max was like 6-10 and I’m sure they were coming in from neighbor’s yards during the trapping period.

Re: Mole guys [Re: EatenByLimestone] #8132248
Yesterday at 04:34 PM
Yesterday at 04:34 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
It’s probably worth saving we have an average of 1-3 moles in a yard we’re hired to clear. Some guys post here that they are regularly pulling something like 20 moles out of a yard. I think my max was like 6-10 and I’m sure they were coming in from neighbor’s yards during the trapping period.

A good sales pitch I always used -

If you have moles , your neighbor may have them too. Catching every mole in your yard only works until one comes over from your neighbor.
Tell your neighbor you know a good mole guy. Have them call me.

I've done this a bunch of times. Make your customer sell the job to his neighbor.
Major bonus - pull into one driveway and check traps on 2-3 properties at one time. Saves major 'windshield time' , less driving around.

NRA benefactor member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread