Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support Lenon's Lures, our sponsor for the Kids Forum Page)
Print Thread
Hop To
The importance of gang setting #8120985
04/13/24 03:04 PM
04/13/24 03:04 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline OP
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline OP
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
For gang setting we're generally talking 2-4 sets per location
Your scouting is valuable. If you find a good spot with tracks or droppings gang set it. At least 2 sets.
If a location is worth one set it is generally worthy of multiple sets.

Putting multiple sets in close sight of each other helps when a non-target animal, such as opossum or skunk, comes by first.
Then when a fox or your target animal comes by later you still have sets working for it.

When gang setting use different sets. One may be a dirt hole, one may be a flat set, another may just be a scent post set with gland lure.
Make them all different.
Also use different lures & baits at each set. One lure may be a sweet/fruity lure or bait. Another a meaty type lure/bait.
There's no limit to the smells you can offer the animals. They all go for a certain thing at times. Mix it up.

Multiple sets also adds more scent to an area to help draw animals in.

Also everyone enjoys the sight of a double catch when it happens!

Till that day.....
Re: The importance of gang setting [Re: patrapperbuster] #8121083
04/13/24 07:21 PM
04/13/24 07:21 PM
Ny
Ryan333 Offline
trapper
Ryan333  Offline
trapper

Ny
All good advice, what my older brother and I usually do, is he will put 1-2 sets in a location and I will set 1 (because in the amount of time is takes him to do 2 sets I can do one.)

Also, I've never tried much for sweet/fruity for fox and coyote, only coon. Do you catch some with those scents?

NO free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms -Thomas Jefferson
Re: The importance of gang setting [Re: patrapperbuster] #8121145
04/13/24 09:08 PM
04/13/24 09:08 PM
Pennsylvania
P
trapper
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
EARLY SEASON a lot of animals, even fox and coyotes will go for fruits/sweet type baits/lures.

Try grape jelly or canalope for fox in october/november.

Again, it's about offering a mix of sets & mixed scents to make them work your sets

Till that day.....
Re: The importance of gang setting [Re: patrapperbuster] #8121583
04/14/24 01:44 PM
04/14/24 01:44 PM
Ohio
T
TrapperE Offline
trapper
TrapperE  Offline
trapper
T

Ohio
I don’t gang set often because I like spreading my traps out but for coons and muskrat I usually do

Re: The importance of gang setting [Re: patrapperbuster] #8122092
04/15/24 09:05 AM
04/15/24 09:05 AM
Ny
Ryan333 Offline
trapper
Ryan333  Offline
trapper

Ny
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
EARLY SEASON a lot of animals, even fox and coyotes will go for fruits/sweet type baits/lures.

Again, it's about offering a mix of sets & mixed scents to make them work your sets

That's probably why we've never tried it, we wait till the end of deer season to set. It might not be the best for trapping but its tough to convince landowners to let us in while they are trying to shoot that one big buck.

NO free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms -Thomas Jefferson
Re: The importance of gang setting [Re: Ryan333] #8122137
04/15/24 10:29 AM
04/15/24 10:29 AM
Pennsylvania
P
trapper
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Ryan333
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster

That's probably why we've never tried it, we wait till the end of deer season to set. It might not be the best for trapping but its tough to convince landowners to let us in while they are trying to shoot that one big buck.

For sure.

Deer hunting is big priority in most if not all states when it comes to permission.

Till that day.....
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bogmaster