No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Gary Benson] #8119853
04/11/24 08:42 PM
04/11/24 08:42 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
50,000 American lives for nothing. The Govt should be ashamed but they are above that.
The hippies disrespecting the vets coming home were the same caliber running the country today.
I know a man that served two tours, flew a chopper and got shot up twice but made it back and became a successful dentist. I also know a man who came back to farm and couldn't help but duck under a tractor when a plane flew over. Everyone handled it differently.

That was actually just short of 60,000 lives lost.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8119856
04/11/24 08:55 PM
04/11/24 08:55 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
My uncle was a Marine in Vietnam, did 2 tours and is one of the nicest, and most humble persons you will ever meet.

Always wondered how he made it over there with his temperament until one day we came upon a couple guys breaking into the neighbors house. Never before or since have I seen someone change like that, never will forget his eyes
...Those thieves were taken down fast & terrified in the process.

Terrified me just witnessing it at 15 yrs old, Lol.

Much respect to the VN Vets, they went through hades for us.

Member - FTA
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8119863
04/11/24 09:06 PM
04/11/24 09:06 PM
Mo.
1cav Offline
trapper
1cav  Offline
trapper

Mo.
Got taught real quick when I came home from VN., grow your hair long with beard and dissappear from your military ways, looks, and beliefs. Was tough getting a good job, for a few years. They all wanted job applications, hard to hide where you had been for 3 yrs. Tried college lasted 1/2 semester. Was called baby killer 1 time, only and that cost me money. Dad bailed me out on that and judge , took pity, and got a slap on the wrist. I came out of the closet 15 yrs. ago Viet Nam Vets Of America KC., Mo. helped me come out of that closet. Wear my VN vet hat, use the VA facility, and walk tall and proud. Those people today who called me baby killer, and trated vets, badly, can't and won't look me eye to eye.

Last edited by 1cav; 04/11/24 09:10 PM.
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8119901
04/11/24 09:38 PM
04/11/24 09:38 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I had two brothers in Vietnam. I was eight years old at the time...67-68. I've never heard either mention anyone giving them a hard time on their return. My oldest brother flew just shy of 1,000 missions as a doorgunner/crew chief on a Huey. He turned 79 this month and flies a USMC flag in his yard to this day. They were both USMC.

[Linked Image]

Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8119967
04/11/24 11:13 PM
04/11/24 11:13 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I never went but was in Reserve unit. Lots of classmates went. In rural NC nobody mistreated a vet. Must be an urban thing.

Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8119978
04/11/24 11:30 PM
04/11/24 11:30 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I got a low number on the 1969 draft lottery. I got drafted not long after Kent State so you can imagine the BS those of us in the military took during those times. Far too much crap to relate here but it was not good going or coming and after as well. Yes many fault the hippies and yes they were problematic, but to me they were at least straight up and open, and not looking sideways, at one. Yes there were 1 million leaving the military in about 3 years, lot of young men not testing out a semester or two of college as now the war was over, so there were a lot of people making finding work harder and as some said the non veterans did not have the stigma of a unpopular war on their backs, or many wondering if you were still using all the drugs you must have used over there and this in many ways took months, years and even decades to shake off. When one saw how the deck was stacked against you, you just girded up and climbed the hill. One did not alway use the best methods but if you were going at it alone it was better then sitting on one's butt and feeling sorry for your self.
Even with all the BS we experienced, I would rather be a beraided Nam vet than a more recent vet that gets all sorts of parades and accolades, because when I look at their rates of addiction, alcoholism, domestic abuse, suicide I will take getting spit on any day. What is it about our culture that causes that many in the primes of their lives to want to check out? I think how service men and wom,en are treated is a lot more about the healthiness of our society then it is the policies and activities of our service mena nd women.

Bryce

Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8119980
04/11/24 11:32 PM
04/11/24 11:32 PM
east central Minnesota
M
Maddog47 Offline
trapper
Maddog47  Offline
trapper
M

east central Minnesota
I did 2 tours in Vietnam, USMC. I will tell you that each of us handle it differently today. I'm not sure if it is done differently now but when I was in (1965 t0 1969) we could fly home reduced rate in the United States if wearing our military uniform. When I returned home in 1968, we were granted the discount if we chose to NOT wear our uniform. In short, we were not welcomed home. A group of us who landed at El Toro, CA. talked it over. NONE of us and I repeat NONE wore our civilian clothes. To be ashamed to wear them would have been a discredit to those who never made it home. When we walked into LA international airport we walked tall and proud. The protesters were there but left us alone. A bus load of angry Marines would have made their day real bad. Those friends on this forum who know me will attest that I choose to talk very little about my experiences as mot Vets feel the same way. When it became fashionable for people to stop me and thank me for my service (I wear my Marine Corps Vietnam hat) I was taken aback at first. I guess I had a negative attitude of now you thank me but when I came home you hated me. Now I take it differently. I'm grateful when people stop me and thank me. Maybe the chip on my shoulder fell off. So please, if you see a Vietnam vet do thank him. Just my 2 cents worth.

Peace is that brief glorious moment when everybody stands around reloading
Thomas Jefferson
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8120100
04/12/24 08:01 AM
04/12/24 08:01 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Semper Fi Gary !

RdFx
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: charles] #8120125
04/12/24 08:59 AM
04/12/24 08:59 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by charles
I never went but was in Reserve unit. Lots of classmates went. In rural NC nobody mistreated a vet. Must be an urban thing.

Problem was not too many rural airports to fly into

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: An apology to a VN vet. [Re: Sheepdog1] #8120240
04/12/24 12:11 PM
04/12/24 12:11 PM
Mo.
1cav Offline
trapper
1cav  Offline
trapper

Mo.
Maddog 47, After reading your post, brought back some deep memories. I also wore my uniform, when I got back to the world. Had my spit shined jump boots, Ranger beret, blue grunt ribbon, and my badges. I had brothers, cousins, who were in country, before I. Only got through half, 2nd tour. I came out of Oakland, then Denver on to KC., then home. People really avoid me, I didn't really care, I had survived, and returned, wounded as my oldest brother. I had 7 months , still to serve. Then everyone 6 months plus, were sent to Germany. Was angry as all h&ll, but when I landed in Frankfort, and on to Bamburg, for border duty was treated great. Had lots of questions, what it was like over there. Even got another LRRP, come in to the unit I got aassigned to. First Sergent, even let us bunk to getter and have our own room. Told the company, I was in, at morning formation, we were from the hot country, and If we were seen walking around the compound with our hands in our pockets, to basicaaly go bleep bleep. I'm also grateful, when people say now Thank You for your service, every vet I see I say welcome home Brother, and welcome home to you Maddog47

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread