No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets #8119668
04/11/24 04:41 PM
04/11/24 04:41 PM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
We got a nice treat (called a lunch n learn) provided by Zoetis. The injections Solensia and Librela help manage symptoms and are given once a month. So far we have seen great success in pets and quality of life is improved! Including my personal cat, Torii. A lot of you guys have huntin dogs or other pets and some may not be able to metabolize NSAIDS for various reasons. Additionally there is no safe long term NSAID for cats. So these injections are game changers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets [Re: elsmasho82] #8119672
04/11/24 04:45 PM
04/11/24 04:45 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Pretty cat...nevah seen a spot so perfectly squared off like that .

Health improvements are always good things.

Re: More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets [Re: Sharon] #8119696
04/11/24 05:10 PM
04/11/24 05:10 PM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Sharon
Pretty cat...nevah seen a spot so perfectly squared off like that .

Health improvements are always good things.

She was hit by a car as a wee baby. That’s how I found her. We have tried for YEARS to manage her pain and then these injections came out. The first night I noticed a huge difference. She’s like a cat I never had!!

Re: More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets [Re: elsmasho82] #8119699
04/11/24 05:11 PM
04/11/24 05:11 PM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
A good friend of mine is an endocrinologist. Years ago when she was a young doctor, she and her husband were very poor. They lived in a tiny studio apartment with their two kids and had to survive on vegetables from her mom's garden, cheap ramen and all the chocolates she received as gifts from her grateful patients. Things were different in the country back then and all major international corporations were fighting for our market. She volunteered to go to all events organized by various pharmaceutical companies because most of her older colleagues were too busy for that. I often tagged along disguised as an intern. We tried to keep low profile not to be harrassed by the company representatives trying to coerce doctors into signing personal contracts (because that was what all those lectures about new drugs were ultimately about), and hit the snack bars... with food containers, of course. The Big Pharma spared no expense to recruit doctors and the menu was often just amazing. Smoked sturgeon, caviar, expensive dry-cured ham, good wines... we even went on a day-long cruise along the Ob river with a few dozen other doctors once... I don't remember if it was La Roche or Merck... or maybe Pfizer...

but a safe feline nsaid is good news, their kidneys seem to shut down from nearly everything it seems.... wink

Re: More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets [Re: Tatiana] #8119706
04/11/24 05:20 PM
04/11/24 05:20 PM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Tatiana
A good friend of mine is an endocrinologist. Years ago when she was a young doctor, she and her husband were very poor. They lived in a tiny studio apartment with their two kids and had to survive on vegetables from her mom's garden, cheap ramen and all the chocolates she received as gifts from her grateful patients. Things were different in the country back then and all major international corporations were fighting for our market. She volunteered to go to all events organized by various pharmaceutical companies because most of her older colleagues were too busy for that. I often tagged along disguised as an intern. We tried to keep low profile not to be harrassed by the company representatives trying to coerce doctors into signing personal contracts (because that was what all those lectures about new drugs were ultimately about), and hit the snack bars... with food containers, of course. The Big Pharma spared no expense to recruit doctors and the menu was often just amazing. Smoked sturgeon, caviar, expensive dry-cured ham, good wines... we even went on a day-long cruise along the Ob river with a few dozen other doctors once... I don't remember if it was La Roche or Merck... or maybe Pfizer...

but a safe feline nsaid is good news, their kidneys seem to shut down from nearly everything it seems.... wink

It’s awesome cause it’s not actually an NSAID in the sense, it blocks pain receptors. The science is quite interesting. We watched a video on it but it’s hard for me to explain!!

Re: More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets [Re: elsmasho82] #8119707
04/11/24 05:21 PM
04/11/24 05:21 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
We have a Shih-Tzu. He has a pinched nerve in his neck. The only pain reliever that seems to help is prednisone in a light dose. I'm wondering if Librela would be a better option?

Remember as a kid we played army and you gave up the fort so the other side got it? Of course you don't. Little kids aren't that stupid.
Re: More continuing education for osteoarthritis pets [Re: Trapper7] #8119720
04/11/24 05:37 PM
04/11/24 05:37 PM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline OP
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline OP
trapper

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Trapper7
We have a Shih-Tzu. He has a pinched nerve in his neck. The only pain reliever that seems to help is prednisone in a light dose. I'm wondering if Librela would be a better option?

You gotta be careful in pets with co-morbidities and other injuries such as acute pinched nerves or ccl tears. As the lacking of some pain receptors can make them feel so good that they re-injure themselves or worsen injuries. I’m not sure if this drug would be the right choice but talk to your vet! If it’s not currently inflamed, it could help manage OA symptoms to the point that he could get adequate exercise and Physical therapy to get better overall

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread