No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
This weeks episode of car trouble #8117414
04/08/24 12:43 PM
04/08/24 12:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
college student edition.

Thursday evening 9pm my teaching student in Milwaukee calls. at campus dropped off a friend and the oil light is flashing and the car is beeping
low oil pressure

they shut it off , what to do?

Me: well you're not in the worst neighborhood check the oil

Them: not even touching the dip stick

Me: you have you're funnel and I left a spare 2 quarts of oil in the back pour it in and lets see what you get

Them: 2 quarts in not touching the dip stick yet

they stared it back up and the light quit flashing , drive the 2 miles to your parking garage just get there as quick as you can.

they made it put more quarts in, in the morning (Friday) fired it up nope leaking bad

like coffee running out of a drip coffee maker about a quart every 5-7 minutes

2003 Oldsmobile mini van with the GM 3.4L v6

soonest I could drive to MKE and look at it was Sunday morning
Sunday morning I put 2 quarts in fire it up to see where leaking from

all I can tell is above the starter below the exhaust manifold about impossible to see the area

I wonder if I find a video on starter replacement if I can see what is there that I can't see with the starter in the way? without having to drop the starter.

found a video on the wife's phone and sure enough he is replacing the starter because the oil pressure sending unit goes bad and leaks then dumps oil on the starter.

apparently a common issue with the sensor just starts leaking and the oil comes right out though the wiring plug.

disconnect positive on battery drop the starter two 15mm bolts , yup I can see it , can't start the van to see if it is leaking but when I pull the cable off it and the plug is just full of oil from the inside , yup that would be it.

got it out with a channel locks after a 1/2 turn it was only in finger tight

dial up autozone it came up first on a search of auto parts stores near me , I drove past the O'Riely's a block closer but I guess AZ has the search figured out. they had the part 12.99 the bag of oil dri cost more than part that caused the issue.

installed it put the starter back in , fired it up to test , all good

as long as I was right there already had an drain pan and oil mess to clean up drained what was in it good news about 4 quarts and put a new filter on it was 2K into an oil change with all new oil might as well hit the reset on the oil change mileage. I do every 3K or as soon as I can after 3K might be a better way to ay it.
6 quarts new oil check for leaks all over let it run a while took it for a little test drive.

this was my first time setting up shop and working on a car in a parking garage , at least it was inside as it started raining outside.

the sensor is 27mm , we have this 10-36mm Tekton set no skips regular and deep well , that set has saved me so many times by having the right size best 280 dollars spent ever on tools. It is actually my sons so when he moves out I have to buy one and quit borrowing his.

so if your following some one with a GM and they are leaving a trail of oil , check that oil pressure sending unit.

now that I have seen what causes it , I am recalling seeing trails like that going down the road a bunch of times. sometimes with a car on the side of the road when the trail goes dry.

once you have done one and you know what size and what to feel for you could do it from the top side without dropping the starter if the manifold wasn't too hot. it is right under the #6 spark plug about 6 inches
but you can't see it without a mirror

not even well with a cell phone

https://www.autozone.com/external-e...last-oil-pressure-switch-ps152/45356_0_0

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: This weeks episode of car trouble [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8117547
04/08/24 04:10 PM
04/08/24 04:10 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
the kids are lucky to have you, that might have cost some people a new motor in some cases.

Born twice, die once
Re: This weeks episode of car trouble [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8117587
04/08/24 05:04 PM
04/08/24 05:04 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I traded my work on a neighbors car and $700 dollars for that mini van so if something serious goes it is headed for the scrap yard

mostly it has a bunch of little worn out annoyances and she is living with those quite well

I put 400 in new tires on a 700 dollar car a few weeks after I bought it

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread