No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Question for PA.Mink ,Muskrat Weasel trappers ? #8116475
04/07/24 10:16 AM
04/07/24 10:16 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline OP
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline OP
trapper
W

PA
I trapped in south central PA for most of 60 years From about 1965 to 2022 In the 1960's muskrats were the most common animal I would catch Even at 12 years old I could catch some rats And at that time they where worth from .80 cents to$1.10 .AI that time 2 rats would buy you another trap .About the time the pheasant began to disappear the rat population also fell of the face of the land scape in my area . My catch of rats quickly dropped in half or even to a point of maybe 20 % of what it had been .I remember thee was a Feb /March when I started trapping Several local trappers would tell me they would catch a mink about 1980 and it seemed to be a more common event .I caught my first one about 1985 and than caught another one the following season . A few years later I had one more I got the mink trapping bug and made an effort to actually catch one in a set I intended for mink ..I am a slow learner but I for thee next 20 or more years I was able to get at least one per season With a number of years I got 5 which was the most I ever got in one year During that time a muskrat was seldom in any trap I set When I saw brown fur floating In the water I always thought it was a mink And as far as PA weasels I only even caught 2 in my life time They sure a neat critter. Any one ever had a trapline in PA just focused on weasels Thanks

Re: Question for PA.Mink ,Muskrat Weasel trappers ? [Re: w side rd 151] #8116604
04/07/24 01:51 PM
04/07/24 01:51 PM
Western Pa.
B
bowhunter1 Offline
trapper
bowhunter1  Offline
trapper
B

Western Pa.
I also have caught a few ,but they don't turn white around here so not worth much.

"Good common sense doesn't get you out of trouble...It keeps you out of trouble" MAM
Re: Question for PA.Mink ,Muskrat Weasel trappers ? [Re: w side rd 151] #8117186
04/08/24 07:44 AM
04/08/24 07:44 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
W

PA
I think there ae 3 species of weasels in PA And mink and fishers are members of the weasel family I recall several threads on Trapperman over the yeas concerning trapping weasels I am curious as to how common they are in PA Also if anyone ever targeted them And if so how did they do I do not know if they are common or rare?

Re: Question for PA.Mink ,Muskrat Weasel trappers ? [Re: w side rd 151] #8117513
04/08/24 03:16 PM
04/08/24 03:16 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
I think there ae 3 species of weasels in PA And mink and fishers are members of the weasel family I recall several threads on Trapperman over the yeas concerning trapping weasels I am curious as to how common they are in PA Also if anyone ever targeted them And if so how did they do I do not know if they are common or rare?

Was waiting for someone to chime in on this. I'm not a weasel trapper per say either but i'll add this much.
Yes, 3 types of weasels in PA. I'll set a weasel box or two every year cause i want to catch a Least weasel. The only one i havn't caught yet.
To get a weasel you want to use a weasel box. Weasels aren't trail animals like rabbit or deer so blind setting will not be very productive. The weasel box is the best 'invention' for weasel there is.
Weasels like marshy, grassy areas always near water in my experience. Think areas mink might like. Think micey areas. Brushy fence rows near water are good.
Look for tracks after a snow for locations in your area.
Here in NW PA the counties of erie, crawford, venango, & mercer all have them. In my opinion weasels are common in PA. You can catch some every year if you go after them

Till that day.....
Re: Question for PA.Mink ,Muskrat Weasel trappers ? [Re: patrapperbuster] #8117569
04/08/24 04:38 PM
04/08/24 04:38 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline OP
trapper
trapper
W

PA
Both of the ones I caught where in the exact type of habitat you describe And I was trail setting con trails Thanks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread