No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE #8115695
04/06/24 12:47 PM
04/06/24 12:47 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline OP
trapper
walleyed  Offline OP
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
youtube.com/watch?v=C3ySsCT7q0o

Once again, can't get the link to post !!!

w

Last edited by walleyed; 04/06/24 12:48 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8115728
04/06/24 01:29 PM
04/06/24 01:29 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
This link may work- Groney

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8115743
04/06/24 02:17 PM
04/06/24 02:17 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
It probably makes good sense to sell southern beavers this way for now, at least until the felt market fills up or the Fedora fashion craze tones down. Fur producers in northern areas that produce mid winter shearable beaver will see more for their skins from traditional users, especially if FHA gets on the ball and arranges shipping for high quality shearing goods from multiple buyers all at once for equitable freight costs to go to Cambodia for plucking, shearing, and dressing. I Googled "are Fedora hats still popular" and a lot of information popped up indicating this may last for some time to come.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8115994
04/06/24 07:39 PM
04/06/24 07:39 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Interesting buying technique. He has defiantly learned the game well. Throw the fur on the back of his truck before he even quotes a price and then moves on quick so a guy has no chance to say no or for him to explain to the trapper why he pays what. I would NEVER let him move my fur off the table till we both agree on price.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: Slick Pan] #8116053
04/06/24 08:37 PM
04/06/24 08:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Interesting buying technique. He has defiantly learned the game well. Throw the fur on the back of his truck before he even quotes a price and then moves on quick so a guy has no chance to say no or for him to explain to the trapper why he pays what. I would NEVER let him move my fur off the table till we both agree on price.

x2

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116191
04/06/24 10:47 PM
04/06/24 10:47 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
He is using the bed of the truck as an extension of the table for sorting the trappers fur. I have never seen him mix fur he is looking at with fur already paid for until he has given the trapper a price. He also confirms the count by specie with the seller. If a seller has several species, he will do his grading and give the seller a breakdown and get the sellers agreement before he mixes there fur up with what is already paid for in the truck. He repeats the process on each specie and will explain why he priced as he did if the seller has a question.

The only exception I have seen is if he and the seller has agreed on a nose count price and that is typically for a large quantity of an item like 200 beaver.

I was at one of his stops in NC today and saw nothing but smiles from the sellers.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: QuietButDeadly] #8116197
04/06/24 11:00 PM
04/06/24 11:00 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
He is using the bed of the truck as an extension of the table for sorting the trappers fur. I have never seen him mix fur he is looking at with fur already paid for until he has given the trapper a price. He also confirms the count by specie with the seller. If a seller has several species, he will do his grading and give the seller a breakdown and get the sellers agreement before he mixes there fur up with what is already paid for in the truck. He repeats the process on each specie and will explain why he priced as he did if the seller has a question.

The only exception I have seen is if he and the seller has agreed on a nose count price and that is typically for a large quantity of an item like 200 beaver.

I was at one of his stops in NC today and saw nothing but smiles from the sellers.

This^^^^^ is correct. Gary's grading and communication with the seller is great. He's fast, but he has to be.

The Groeny haters gonna hate.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: Boco] #8116239
04/06/24 11:56 PM
04/06/24 11:56 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Slick Pan

x2

even when you had to travel such short distances,( less than a mile to the whistle stop) you did not, but prefer just to bash, at least you took their advise on the prices quoted and sent your furs to FHA

Boco >?Have you even listen to a clip and hear the grade and price and the OK from the buyer.......

there was a truck last year with the nose count and price and then top them up into the back of the truck

One young lady negotiated a better price, see what happens when you go to the truck Boco

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: QuietButDeadly] #8116248
04/07/24 12:08 AM
04/07/24 12:08 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT

I disagree. He should buy it off the table not throw it on the truck and then give a price.I stand by my original comment.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8116251
04/07/24 12:10 AM
04/07/24 12:10 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

This^^^^^ is correct. Gary's grading and communication with the seller is great. He's fast, but he has to be.

The Groeny haters gonna hate.

I don't hate Groney at all.I am just stating what I saw and in my opinion its not the correct way to buy. He does not have to be that fast. It's part of his buying technique.You will notice he gets few refusals.

Last edited by Slick Pan; 04/07/24 12:15 AM.
Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116253
04/07/24 12:12 AM
04/07/24 12:12 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
If you watch you will see it. You think it's to be fast but he is pushing the fur on his truck. It's part of his technique.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116254
04/07/24 12:15 AM
04/07/24 12:15 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
That is how it was always done here.
One pelt at a time out of the bag,price offered,if acepted it went behind the counter and price written on a slip. If not it went on the floor beside the seller,to be put back in the bag at the end and taken to another buyer or shipped.
Sold lots of fur like that when younger to Ratcliff in Cochrane and to the NW company in the basement of the hardware store in Smooth Rock.
Was the same deal with the travelling buyers who set up in town a few times a season.
Never would the fur be taken until a price was agreed after sizing and grading.Each pelt would also be measured for size before price offered.

Last edited by Boco; 04/07/24 12:18 AM.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116259
04/07/24 12:24 AM
04/07/24 12:24 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
So you never watched the clip.....
and not going to the truck how can you say what happens NOW

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: Boco] #8116263
04/07/24 12:27 AM
04/07/24 12:27 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Boco
That is how it was always done here.
One pelt at a time out of the bag,price offered,if acepted it went behind the counter and price written on a slip. If not it went on the floor beside the seller,to be put back in the bag at the end and taken to another buyer or shipped.
Sold lots of fur like that when younger to Ratcliff in Cochrane and to the NW company in the basement of the hardware store in Smooth Rock.
Was the same deal with the travelling buyers who set up in town a few times a season.
Never would the fur be taken until a price was agreed after sizing and grading.Each pelt would also be measured for size before price offered.

Exactly how it should be done. I would never sell Groney a piece of my fur. Trappers work hard and not paid very well for their work. Some of that's the trapper's fault but it never should be the buyers fault. He should pay the best he can and be honest. These are small time trappers who have very little choice but to sell to him.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116264
04/07/24 12:28 AM
04/07/24 12:28 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
50, I seen lots of clips for years and read all the posts on here how the so called ratwagon operates,and watched the trainee here last fall do the same.
Everyone is free to choose how they wish to sell their fur.Informed choice.

Last edited by Boco; 04/07/24 12:34 AM.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116269
04/07/24 12:55 AM
04/07/24 12:55 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
What was the turn down rate? I've seen enough of these. They are too depressing. I'll pass.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116278
04/07/24 01:13 AM
04/07/24 01:13 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Boco;so if it goes on the net= everything must be true =
the election was stollen and that is darn sure

should be another button for iGNOR the ratwagon haters
How many bricks are you going to get when FHA folds ?
or are you going to do a drive by-orange throw at the rat wagon's next visit a certain society want to know.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116371
04/07/24 08:03 AM
04/07/24 08:03 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Are you able to "turn down" a price for your pelts at Fur Harvesters?

I didn't think so.....but at the Groeny truck...we can.

Groeny is fair. He grades quickly. If he did one pelt at a time and then haggle...each stop would take days....smdh.

He IS using the rear area of the truck as a place for the graded/sized piles. Not mixing with already bought pelts.

Gary has always told me the offers....and the overall averages....and waits for acceptance b4 moving pelts on up into the truck. And...he always confirms the count with the trapper.

I appreciate SlickPan and Boco giving those of us that know Groeny the opportunity to tell the truth here.

Yall keep sending your stuff to auction. Maybe your checks won't be lost in the mail.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 04/07/24 08:05 AM. Reason: More Info

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8116373
04/07/24 08:08 AM
04/07/24 08:08 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Are you able to "turn down" a price for your pelts at Fur Harvesters?

I didn't think so.....but at the Groeny truck...we can.

Groeny is fair. He grades quickly. If he did one pelt at a time and then haggle...each stop would take days....smdh.

He IS using the rear area of the truck as a place for the graded/sized piles. Not mixing with already bought pelts.

Gary has always told me the offers....and the overall averages....and waits for acceptance b4 moving pelts on up into the truck. And...he always confirms the count with the trapper.

I appreciate SlickPan and Boco giving those of us that know Groeny the opportunity to tell the truth here.

Yall keep sending your stuff to auction. Maybe your checks won't be lost in the mail.

All true.

Re: Groeny in North Carolina Today youtube LIVE [Re: walleyed] #8116405
04/07/24 08:47 AM
04/07/24 08:47 AM
NC
G
GoGitter Offline
trapper
GoGitter  Offline
trapper
G

NC
I sold to Gary yesterday and he was a pleasure to deal with. My freezers are empty and my pockets are full. I'm a happy man. Being happy is so much more fulfilling than being negative about everything

Forgiveness is just a prayer away.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread