Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: eating beaver meat? [Re: 20scout] #8122552
04/16/24 01:09 AM
04/16/24 01:09 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by 20scout
I only use fresh kill out of lakes or rivers, not from swamps but that's just me. I also like two year olds vs the large adults, but again that's just my preference. I like to can some for later. Very easy to make and goes good over rice or noodles.

In stew meat, I found no difference in texture or taste between two year olds and adults. I've not noticed a difference in taste between stream beavers and swamp beavers, and I've not noticed a difference in taste from beavers eating sweet gum and those eating pine. They all taste the same. Then again I'm old and my taste buds are diminishing, I'm sure.

Re: eating beaver meat? [Re: Oakey] #8122731
04/16/24 10:44 AM
04/16/24 10:44 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Oakey
If beavers eat poison hemlock they will be dead and you won’t be catching them

You would think so, but apparently they can acquire tolerance to the alkaloids in the plant. It was either an Alexander Ross or Peter Ogden led Hudson Bay expedition that was camping on a tributary of the Snake river. Some of the men ate beaver and some ate deer one evening. Those that ate beaver all became deathly ill. The expedition remained there for several days trying to help the inflicted men recover. They were trying to figure out what made the men ill and the question of whether it could be the beaver game up. A Digger (Paiute) woman came into camp and was offered beaver meat and when she looked at the beaver immediately refused it.

Subsequently the river was named the "Malad" river. Or French for sickly river.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91