Home

eating beaver meat?

Posted By: Willoughby

eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 03:25 PM

I mainly wanted them for bait purposes but Ive heard many folks enjoy eating them -how many eat them and what parts do you eat ? tia
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 03:48 PM

I use the backstraps and bone out the hams. Here's one of the batches of beaver stew I made.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...another-batch-of-beaver-stew#Post7162349
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 04:14 PM

What Paul said. Back legs & backstraps.

Lisa & I actually prefer beaver over venison
Posted By: victor#0

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 05:41 PM

Ditto what Paul said. After I skin them my wife butchers the carcass. Excellent eating and is similar to bear imo. We had beaver roast the other night with potatoes and onions, good stuff. Muskrat is mighty fine eating too.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 07:05 PM

Back legs, front legs, back straps and I make into sausage [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 07:32 PM

I know some guys that eat every ounce of meat other than the bit on the tails plus the kidneys and liver.

Personally I just stuck with the legs and backstraps. Ribs and flank meat just arent worth it to me unless you're just gonna crockpot everything till it falls off the bone.

My preferred way of doing the hams is smoking. Ill leave em bone-in(less work). and trim the fat. Add your favorite beef rub to the meat and place it in aluminum pan.Add a 1-1.5 cup of apple juice to the pan. On the smoker at 225 till they hit 160 internal temperature. Let rest 30 minutes. Debone the meat. What doesnt come off or left overs go in the crockpot with beef stock till the rest of the meat come off the bone and thats lunch/dinner the next day.

Backstraps you can just pan fry or throw on the grill. When im being lazy...ill just pull the backstraps out of the freezer, throw them in sous vide at 140* for 2 hours then sear on cast iron skillet.
Posted By: TimmeeGee

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 10:04 PM

If you like chicharrónes, that is a good way to eat the tail meat!
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/06/24 11:06 PM

I don’t mind eating beaver at all it’s especially good canned but as much as I’ve sold and given away nobody has ever asked for more.
Posted By: Wife

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 12:38 AM

Had it for my retirement get together. People who were skittish liked it. Sear it in the frying pan with oil and then the crock pot for a minimum of 2 hrs with any Cream of ? soup (mushroom, onion, rice, etc). Salt and pepper to taste. Here because of the corn, they will taste like beef - lean for some folks but its healthier for you that way but this how I fix it (legs, backstrap or loins, neck and belly meat). I would be chicken to try it as summer sausage because of giardia and other bacteria, but cooked, with some pork fat, it would be good - guessing. .................the mike
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 01:18 AM

make snack sticks!
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 06:02 AM

Similar to moose in my opinion. Same dark red, almost purplish meat, with a similar flavor. Of course they eat the same things so that isn't too surprising. Personally I'll only eat them on a 24 hour check. Our water is cold enough I'm sure they would be fine, but I just don't like the idea of eating something that could have been dead with the guts in it for two or three days.

You're not going to get big steaks out of them but stew meat or bite size steaks fried up are good. Never tried making sausage out of them but I'm sure it would be good. Truthfully mine usually go for bait, if anything, but I've ate it on occasion and always found it good.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 11:33 AM

My wife hates it when this topic comes up at gatherings. I always tell my uncles/cousins “ I haven’t yet, gut I guarantee you I will one day”
I think you’re supposed to check for tulerimia or something by checking the liver and cooking well?
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 01:32 PM

Definitely cook it well. We crock pot ours 6 hours on high
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 05:01 PM

In the great basin states (maybe others as well) an added area of concern is to be sure they're not beaver from areas that have poison hemlock growing on the streambanks. There is a reason for the naming of the "Malade" river in Idaho.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 06:54 PM

Cut the belly slag into real small pcs and render out and fry in it's own fat til right crisp and crunchy.

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/07/24 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
In the great basin states (maybe others as well) an added area of concern is to be sure they're not beaver from areas that have poison hemlock growing on the streambanks. There is a reason for the naming of the "Malade" river in Idaho.

Are beaver immune to it or something? Hemlock and all it's fun cousins are usually dead during the season here

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/08/24 12:32 AM

^^^Some of the Hudson Bay Brigades discovered that the hard way. Whole camp deathly ill after eating beaver flesh, several days to recover.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/09/24 10:09 AM

Now y'all are making me hunger all over again ...

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/09/24 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

Are beaver immune to it or something? Hemlock and all it's fun cousins are usually dead during the season here

The tap root gets dug up and consumed...hence the nickname "poison parsnip".

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/09/24 02:59 PM

That makes more sense. Luckily a lot of the hemlock here seems to be around the road ditches and there's not many beaver here in said ditches
Posted By: mike mason

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/11/24 09:30 AM

They look delicious! grin

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/12/24 08:36 PM

Dang, it looks like Tatiana's post disappeared. I was hoping to ask for the recipe.

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/12/24 08:55 PM

Dang, it looks like Tatiana's post disappeared. I was hoping to ask for the recipe.

I wonder where it went. I didn't do anything with the post. Those cabbage rolls looked mighty good.

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/12/24 09:43 PM

Do you remember when it was, might be able to find it on the wayback machine
Posted By: PARich

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/12/24 10:38 PM

I assume it's Golumpki AKA Pigs in the Blanket. It looks like what my Mom and Gram used to make. Google it or Pintrest has a bunch of recipes. I'll try to copy and paste.https://www.food.com/recipe/pigs-in-the-blanket-aka-stuffed-cabbage-305204

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/12/24 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

Do you remember when it was, might be able to find it on the wayback machine

Maybe 4-5 days ago.

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/12/24 11:51 PM

no dice
Posted By: PARich

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 12:08 AM

We always called it Holubsti not Golumpki. Difference between Polish and Ukrainian. Usually just called them Pig in a Blanket https://www.pinterest.com/pin/25332816644776107/ or Polish version https://www.pinterest.com/pin/253468285269353196/
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 01:11 AM

Odd. I seen it also, certainly didnt see anything in it that would have caused anyone on either end to remove it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 08:41 AM

Maybe Tatiana can shed some light on this or repost.
I love pigs in a blanket, next year when making beaver sausage I'll grind some for golumpkis. Thanks for the idea
Posted By: Hern

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
I love pigs in a blanket, next year when making beaver sausage...

Wife made pigs in a blanket this week, with venison sausage. Good stuff.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Maybe Tatiana can shed some light on this or repost.
I love pigs in a blanket, next year when making beaver sausage I'll grind some for golumpkis. Thanks for the idea

I ground some beaver/elk course for golumkis and they turned out great.I did add some pork. They freeze great so make a big patch.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

I wonder where it went. I didn't do anything with the post. Those cabbage rolls looked mighty good.

Seems like Tatiana is still with us. She just posted on Old Photo # 250 on the Trapper Talk forum.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/13/24 11:41 PM

At the Trapperman Feed in Escanaba, someone brought beaver brats, and they were excellent. In my opinion, they were far better than any store-bought brats I've ever had. I was told that Roy Dahlgren had either brought them or made them. Either way, I never got a chance to visit with Roy about the brats, but they were great!
Posted By: Drakej

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/15/24 01:08 AM

Cube up the tail meat and pickle it !! Very high in vitmn C.

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/15/24 02:43 AM

There isn't any meat in tails!
Posted By: Willoughby

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/15/24 03:04 AM

tail goes to oil - I had some backstraps tonight for the 1st time -they was awesome ! to bad season ends tomorrow

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/15/24 04:47 AM

Beaver backstraps are awesome aren't they.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/16/24 02:05 AM

I only use fresh kill out of lakes or rivers, not from swamps but that's just me. I also like two year olds vs the large adults, but again that's just my preference. I like to can some for later. Very easy to make and goes good over rice or noodles.
Posted By: Oakey

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/16/24 02:28 AM

If beavers eat poison hemlock they will be dead and you won’t be catching them

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/16/24 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
I only use fresh kill out of lakes or rivers, not from swamps but that's just me. I also like two year olds vs the large adults, but again that's just my preference. I like to can some for later. Very easy to make and goes good over rice or noodles.

In stew meat, I found no difference in texture or taste between two year olds and adults. I've not noticed a difference in taste between stream beavers and swamp beavers, and I've not noticed a difference in taste from beavers eating sweet gum and those eating pine. They all taste the same. Then again I'm old and my taste buds are diminishing, I'm sure.

Re: eating beaver meat? - 04/16/24 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oakey
If beavers eat poison hemlock they will be dead and you won’t be catching them

You would think so, but apparently they can acquire tolerance to the alkaloids in the plant. It was either an Alexander Ross or Peter Ogden led Hudson Bay expedition that was camping on a tributary of the Snake river. Some of the men ate beaver and some ate deer one evening. Those that ate beaver all became deathly ill. The expedition remained there for several days trying to help the inflicted men recover. They were trying to figure out what made the men ill and the question of whether it could be the beaver game up. A Digger (Paiute) woman came into camp and was offered beaver meat and when she looked at the beaver immediately refused it.

Subsequently the river was named the "Malad" river. Or French for sickly river.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums