No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: Wanna Be] #8113130
04/02/24 03:59 PM
04/02/24 03:59 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Entirely different ballgame without decoys. Everything changes including setups.

Dekes don't work enough here to justify toting them in/out.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113138
04/02/24 04:21 PM
04/02/24 04:21 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Online happy
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Online Happy
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
They're getting smacked on the roads here

Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113151
04/02/24 04:35 PM
04/02/24 04:35 PM
mo.
N
nate Online content
trapper
nate  Online Content
trapper
N

mo.

I won't disagree that numbers are down. The farm that I own with my brothers, turkey numbers have steadily declined. That's in the very eastern Ozarks. The farm that I hunt on along the river, an awesome turkey population. Somehow, some way, the birds are increasing in the SE portion of the state, in counties that previously had next to no birds. And are decreasing in areas that previously held tons of birds. I believe that there is a multitude of factors in play, and it varies by region. Maybe one of the best things that MDC could do would be to just make us a one bird state for now and limit the amount of NR tags handed out. [/quote]

MDC is catering to the Nonresident hunters by going to all day hunting.
It absolutely doubled the length of the season.
Making this move during long term population decline is absolutely ridiculous.
In our county during the peak of population, we were killing 800+ in the spring season. Now we struggle to kill 300.
They manage the stupid deer on a county basis.
Why do they try to manage turkeys on a statewide basis?
1/2 day hunting has been in place since the season was opened in Missouri in 1960.
The majority of people who wanted it are nonresidents and people who have nonresidents come to hunt.
The biologists that have been pushing this for years are nearly all originally from out of state. They have friends and family come in and hunt……….
See where this is going?
[/quote]
The MDC are a bunch of money grabbing crooks!! They could care less about the wildlife all there after is money.

Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113160
04/02/24 04:44 PM
04/02/24 04:44 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I’m I have a bunch of decoys they sit in the shed and the mice chew holes in them. Im more into running and gunning but my one buddy it a sit and call type of guy.

Try something until something works is my motto and I don’t do farm birds I try not to laugh when people get a barnyard bird and call it a hunt it nowhere close to one. Yes there are dumb birds out there but some can be a real challenge.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113270
04/02/24 07:40 PM
04/02/24 07:40 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline OP
trapper
ol' dad  Offline OP
trapper

Missouri
I think something that needs to be said to put this thread into perspective is what one's view of a good size population of turkeys is? 20 in a fall flock may be a lot to someone in Pennsylvania. That is a poor flock in Northeast Missouri. Seldom will I see a gobbler strutting on a tree line out in a field along the highway. 20 years ago you couldn't drive 2 miles without seeing one. I guess it's all relative. Maybe I just happen to grow up at the peak of the cycle. Or are farming practices, habitat, and other external influences like predator control keeping the flock from regenerating? Considering that I just drove across half the country and back and didn't see a single turkey leads me to believe that it's more than an isolated pocket in Northeast Missouri.

Personally I can't say decoys work better or worse. I've probably killed an equal number without as I have with.

Ol dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113298
04/02/24 08:34 PM
04/02/24 08:34 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Getting in this late... Population in NW MO is bad. I would say 1/3 of what it was 20 years ago. I still believe something has/is occurring that we don't know about/haven't discovered. My current thought is lack of insects due to spraying. MDC does do a below average job and you are correct that the all day hunting is poor during a time of years long decline. Out of staters and city hunters. When the MDC has a public comment period on a topic it is a done deal and what they are proposing will happen: all day turkey hunting, elk reintroduction, antler restriction, crossbows during bow season, otter reintroduction, etc.

Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113299
04/02/24 08:37 PM
04/02/24 08:37 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Well I used to stand on my cabin porch and hear birds gobbling on 7 different roosting
spots. That was down to hearing a bird or two. I went down Saturday and they were gobbling
all around s as gain and seen a lot again driving around. Hopefully they’re coming back
around here in Ohio.
There’s a strategy with using dekes and had them spook a lot of birds. Use them sometimes but
not often. I will not knock how people legally want to hunt.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Where are the turkeys? [Re: ol' dad] #8113666
04/03/24 01:03 PM
04/03/24 01:03 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
It may help if you travel back roads. I almost never see them on a major highway but I occasionally see them on back roads.

wanna be goat farmer.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread