Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Drowners in lake with muddy bottom [Re: loosanarrow] #8111261
03/30/24 01:22 PM
03/30/24 01:22 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
In very soft bottoms, a single truck rotor (like a rotor from a one ton or bigger) will suck down and hold most beaver under. I can toss one 20 feet or so. If you must set these flat shallow areas, and you can get to knee deep water 16 feet out, set it up with the drowner and try for a front foot. If you get the front foot it will work, and with a good back foot hold it is not going anywhere. Personally I would use a full size beaver foothold of your choice, because if you get a front foot it is a drowning set, and if a back foot you want a big trap for the best chance of a good hold.

You will have to check daily though. If you cant check daily, those spots are about done when they get wise to BGs and you cant use snares. Move to another lake. Assuming you are fur or hobby trapping.

Now if these are nuisance beavers, first of all I would have a serious discussion about the consequences of limiting my equipment by not allowing snares. Consequences like me not taking the job. I dont recall ever having a landowner do that if the beavers were actually a big enough problem to throw money at them and call me. I show up with every tool allowed by law including a tritium dotted shotgun.

Just how big of a man are you??? I hope you played college ball and have dang good excuse why they aren’t watching you on Sundays!!
I’ve used truck rotors for coon drags and if you’re chunking them 20ft, you are the MAN!! I even used one for a coyote and he didn’t budge it.

Re: Drowners in lake with muddy bottom [Re: KYBOY] #8111692
03/31/24 05:47 AM
03/31/24 05:47 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
Rather than using a leg hold, you could use a short snare if legal in your state, with a short snare, knee deep water should be enough to keep them submerged.

Re: Drowners in lake with muddy bottom [Re: Wanna Be] #8111979
03/31/24 05:04 PM
03/31/24 05:04 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
In very soft bottoms, a single truck rotor (like a rotor from a one ton or bigger) will suck down and hold most beaver under. I can toss one 20 feet or so. If you must set these flat shallow areas, and you can get to knee deep water 16 feet out, set it up with the drowner and try for a front foot. If you get the front foot it will work, and with a good back foot hold it is not going anywhere. Personally I would use a full size beaver foothold of your choice, because if you get a front foot it is a drowning set, and if a back foot you want a big trap for the best chance of a good hold.

You will have to check daily though. If you cant check daily, those spots are about done when they get wise to BGs and you cant use snares. Move to another lake. Assuming you are fur or hobby trapping.

Now if these are nuisance beavers, first of all I would have a serious discussion about the consequences of limiting my equipment by not allowing snares. Consequences like me not taking the job. I dont recall ever having a landowner do that if the beavers were actually a big enough problem to throw money at them and call me. I show up with every tool allowed by law including a tritium dotted shotgun.

Just how big of a man are you??? I hope you played college ball and have dang good excuse why they aren’t watching you on Sundays!!
I’ve used truck rotors for coon drags and if you’re chunking them 20ft, you are the MAN!! I even used one for a coyote and he didn’t budge it.

Not big truck rotors, but the bigger small truck rotors, if that is even a thing... Most rotors in the local shop’s pile are two sizes, and the larger size from pickup trucks weighs maybe 15 pounds maybe 20 pounds (been a long time since I weighed one). But I can heave one 20 feet. And the shape helps it cut into soft mud. On a hard bottom it takes 2 of those (i jave had singles dragged up on the bank on sandy bottoms too) but in soft muck one rotor seems to do the trick around here. Im just an average mid-50’s guy, and Im not playing any ball of any kind these days..

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Drowners in lake with muddy bottom [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #8111981
03/31/24 05:09 PM
03/31/24 05:09 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Another option I just remembered that I have done a few times successfully- put on waders and go out 6 to 10 feet and dig a hole. I like at least mid-thigh to crotch deep, but if the bottom is soft and not too many tough roots, it only takes ten minutes or so to dig a nice “well” for the bottom weight. I used chain slides for this because rods have a hard time making the bend down in the hole. But a weight on a chain works great. Not always an option, but it can work in some cases. Take a shovel, a hoe, and and beaver rake and tear at it.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Drowners in lake with muddy bottom [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #8113161
04/02/24 04:46 PM
04/02/24 04:46 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois

I use old brake rotors- but they can sink in some muds and be terrible to get out. I just put long cables on them and I trap out of a canoe. I set the weight on the front of the canoe and paddle backwards till it gets tight and falls off the front.

[Linked Image]

Just passin through
Re: Drowners in lake with muddy bottom [Re: HoosierTrapper07] #8113363
04/02/24 10:05 PM
04/02/24 10:05 PM
Iowa
Z
Zacmied Offline
trapper
Zacmied  Offline
trapper
Z

Iowa
I've just been using 10 to 15lb boat anchors. Work excellent in mud and grab vert well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91