No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8110622
03/29/24 03:32 PM
03/29/24 03:32 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I was surprised when the tugs dropped of so far away, might be compliancy or a habit formed from many years of no problems

But can't help thinking that if the tugs had gone with the barge up until going under the bridge they might have been able to help correct the ships problem of the current taking it and its turning into the bridge. Yes they may have need more tugs, however it seems that maybe this will be instigated in the future, or the bridge will be built differently or both ?

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8110633
03/29/24 03:50 PM
03/29/24 03:50 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I think you're right Grit. From what I have read (there we go again) the pilot did declare a mayday several minutes prior to the strike. That gave the guys on the bridge a little time to stop most traffic and get out of the way. That mayday probably saved a lot of lives too.

Also at 0126 the pilot asked for assistance from a tug and at 0127 he dropped a bow anchor. But they were apparently just too close at that point to overcome the inertia of that loaded ship

Mean As Nails
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8110695
03/29/24 05:26 PM
03/29/24 05:26 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
The shipping company caused the accident. Let them pay the cost of clean up and rebuild.

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8110734
03/29/24 06:03 PM
03/29/24 06:03 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8110736
03/29/24 06:06 PM
03/29/24 06:06 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
I have spent many hours on the water, before Covid I was operating vessels on the Hudson and East Rivers. I even posted many pictures from the harbor…

I do have a few theory’s pertaining to the bridge collision.

The Jones Act has lots of information here is just some…

The Merchant Marine act of 1920 was designed to create a safe network of merchant mariners within the U.S. after World War I, in reaction to the U.S. fleet being destroyed by the German navy. The Jones Act requires all goods shipped between U.S. ports to be transported by U.S. vessels (and operated primarily by Americans).

It calls for providing the nation with a merchant marine that can transport goods between U.S. ports, increase national security during war times, and support a U.S. maritime industry. This nearly century-old law has been amended several times, most recently in 2006.

While much of the current attention on the Jones Act is focused on foreign shipping regulations, the law also contains important information about the maritime industry’s responsibilities regarding safety and well-being of crew. It safeguards the rights of sailors from being exploited, requiring compensation for injuries due to negligence by their employers. It requires employers to maintain safe environments and provide medical care, and also sets standards for vessel maintenance, safety equipment such as lifeboats, and crew qualifications, training and licensing. And, this all-encompassing law has something to say about the environment too, requiring all U.S. ships to comply with EPA regulations.

The Bottom Line
The Jones Act is a 1920 law that limits how cargo is transported by sea. It requires any cargo shipped between U.S. ports to be carried by U.S. ships, with American crews. Originally intended as a measure to support the strategically-important shipping industry, it is now considered a classic example of protectionism.

Lifetime Member NJTA...WTTA Caught the bug in 1979
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8110794
03/29/24 07:50 PM
03/29/24 07:50 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: River Birch] #8110836
03/29/24 08:43 PM
03/29/24 08:43 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by River Birch
I have spent many hours on the water, before Covid I was operating vessels on the Hudson and East Rivers. I even posted many pictures from the harbor…

The Merchant Marine act of 1920 was designed to create a safe network of merchant mariners within the U.S. after World War I, in reaction to the U.S. fleet being destroyed by the German navy. The Jones Act requires all goods shipped between U.S. ports to be transported by U.S. vessels (and operated primarily by Americans).

It calls for providing the nation with a merchant marine that can transport goods between U.S. ports, increase national security during war times, and support a U.S. maritime industry. This nearly century-old law has been amended several times, most recently in 2006.

While much of the current attention on the Jones Act is focused on foreign shipping regulations, the law also contains important information about the maritime industry’s responsibilities regarding safety and well-being of crew. It safeguards the rights of sailors from being exploited, requiring compensation for injuries due to negligence by their employers. It requires employers to maintain safe environments and provide medical care, and also sets standards for vessel maintenance, safety equipment such as lifeboats, and crew qualifications, training and licensing. And, this all-encompassing law has something to say about the environment too, requiring all U.S. ships to comply with EPA regulations.

The Bottom Line
The Jones Act is a 1920 law that limits how cargo is transported by sea. It requires any cargo shipped between U.S. ports to be carried by U.S. ships, with American crews. Originally intended as a measure to support the strategically-important shipping industry, it is now considered a classic example of protectionism.

I absolutely loved your photos, btw.

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: trapdog1] #8110993
03/30/24 05:08 AM
03/30/24 05:08 AM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
Originally Posted by trapdog1

The Bottom Line

I absolutely loved your photos, btw.

I appreciate that Trapdod1, in one of my posts I had photos of a MASSIVE CRANE that was used when the Tapanzee bridge was disabled… I wouldn’t doubt for a moment that the Baltimore port could use that in the clean up…

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: River Birch] #8111009
03/30/24 06:57 AM
03/30/24 06:57 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD

I appreciate that Trapdod1, in one of my posts I had photos of a MASSIVE CRANE that was used when the Tapanzee bridge was disabled… I wouldn’t doubt for a moment that the Baltimore port could use that in the clean up…

Belive that is the Left Coast Lifter, also did the San Fran bridge.
Think it's currently at Staten Island, so figured it'd be used here.
And for sale, so good publicity.
Guess not.

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111044
03/30/24 08:25 AM
03/30/24 08:25 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline OP
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline OP
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Clean up and rebuilding the bridge and keeping all the port jobs and keeping the sugar packets coming not to mention the import/export of all the cars and other stuff needs to be on the front burner.
Still I'm still stuck on the cause and even time may never reveal the whole story.

While I haven't ran across any specs on the Dali engine, others use 2 cycle 8 cylinders with jugs more than 30'' across. The Dali has 1.5 million gal fuel tank. One of the articles I read said it was assumed they filled up at Baltimore and requires settling out stages and that likely they might have still been using the fuel they loaded somewhere else.

Many incidents in 2023 that caused power outages was caused by chlorinated organic materials or simpler terms pesticides. I remember when a lot of stuff was outlawed here they sold their leftovers others places for them to use up. It seems the official way now to get rid of it it by incineration. Here is an article about that.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4215095A/en

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111058
03/30/24 08:49 AM
03/30/24 08:49 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
[Linked Image]

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111167
03/30/24 11:05 AM
03/30/24 11:05 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline OP
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline OP
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
They can't keep a bridge 1.5 miles long up. It would be ludicrous to think they could keep one open between continents. That is without the Chinese labor force of course, lol !

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: DaveP] #8111258
03/30/24 01:15 PM
03/30/24 01:15 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla

quote=DaveP]

Belive that is the Left Coast Lifter, also did the San Fran bridge.
Think it's currently at Staten Island, so figured it'd be used here.
And for sale, so good publicity.
Guess not.[/quote]

I don’t recall the barge and cranes name…

However I just watched the news at the top of the hour and the claim the largest crane and barge are on site… If I could figure how to post photos we’d all see this claim is false!

Anyone who knows how to post a photo can pm me either a phone number or email I’ll send you the picture and ask you to post it for me… Thanks

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111277
03/30/24 01:40 PM
03/30/24 01:40 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
River Birchs pic
[Linked Image]

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111278
03/30/24 01:43 PM
03/30/24 01:43 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
Thank you Gary!

And Dave P nailed it the name is Left Coast Lifter…

Nice job fellas

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111322
03/30/24 03:29 PM
03/30/24 03:29 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
How much can the left cost lifer lift?

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Guss] #8111334
03/30/24 03:55 PM
03/30/24 03:55 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by Guss
How much can the left cost lifer lift?

1700 ton

[Linked Image]

Pic from a friend of a friend.

Appears expansion joints worked...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DaveP; 03/30/24 03:55 PM.
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8111368
03/30/24 05:05 PM
03/30/24 05:05 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Thanks Dave.

Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: white17] #8111400
03/30/24 05:55 PM
03/30/24 05:55 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Originally Posted by white17
I think you're right Grit. From what I have read (there we go again) the pilot did declare a mayday several minutes prior to the strike. That gave the guys on the bridge a little time to stop most traffic and get out of the way. That mayday probably saved a lot of lives too.

Also at 0126 the pilot asked for assistance from a tug and at 0127 he dropped a bow anchor. But they were apparently just too close at that point to overcome the inertia of that loaded ship

Also at 0126 the pilot asked for assistance from a tug and at 0127 he dropped a bow anchor. But they were apparently just too close at that point to overcome the inertia of that loaded ship[/quote]

That might be why the ship took such a hard right like it did. The anchor caught and if it was the right anchor, , makes some sense.

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Francis Scott Bridge collapse [Re: Foxpaw] #8112229
04/01/24 03:09 AM
04/01/24 03:09 AM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
Who pays? Sounds like they are insured up to $3.1 billion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wim-_Q_59o&t=1567s

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread