No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Woodstoves [Re: Scout1] #8110319
03/29/24 07:51 AM
03/29/24 07:51 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Scout1

Our house is 2x6 walls with good insulation. Normally run the AAC at a minimum and regulate the tubes at medium or closed down at night. It will run you out of the 900sqft. down stairs. I run the mnual fan on our HVAC sytem as we have two returns within 20 feet of the stove. I have closed one return off upstairs to try and suck in more air downstairs (near stove) and am considering closing off another upstairs while heating in winter. I will probably be selling this stove.I just really like the cat stoves after watching dad’s for 40 years.

this sounds like your levels are well insulated from each other.

I don't think you will gain anything with a Cat stove unless your plan is to go to a much smaller stove and move the heat better, the Quadrafire burns clean as a cat but without the cat and cat maintenance.

a vent to the upstairs if you have a place you could get from the main room downstairs near the fire to the upstairs and put a grate on it. it might be your house is too well zoned with no good ways to move the heat around

I am heating a much less well insulated house in a colder climate with a smaller stove
but being that would heat was what the house was designed around with vents places through the floor the heat can get around it works.

it sounds like you have a great exterior envelope but that it might also be dividing your floors up with no way to get good convection and let the heat rise upstairs.

cutting a vent might save you a bunch of money on a stove.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Woodstoves [Re: .204] #8110874
03/29/24 09:35 PM
03/29/24 09:35 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Online content
trapper
Scout1  Online Content
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Yes GCPete, after finishing my basement the Sheetrock ceilings down there stopped allowing heat to radiate through the floor upstairs. I may put something like a bathroom fan and pipe it to the upstairs. I may cut registers in floor to allow for natural rise as well.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Woodstoves [Re: .204] #8110890
03/29/24 09:54 PM
03/29/24 09:54 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
not even sure you need a fan , the house my great great grandpa built has a trimmed in hole near the ceiling in every room down stairs and a vent up to each of the 3 bedrooms upstairs

there is a rubber backed rug in each bedroom , when company comes over to spend the night the rug is pulled back and that is all it take to warm that room right up.

one stove in the corner of the house keeps it all warm

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Woodstoves [Re: Lugnut] #8111194
03/30/24 11:40 AM
03/30/24 11:40 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I put a small stove in a couple days ago just for the ambiance. Glass door so I can watch it burn and put my feet up and warm my toes. My lady friend is paranoid and threw a fit because the fire was "too big". I guess I won't be building any more fires until I find a different place to live.

My wife is the opposite, she keeps a big fire going, keeps it at 80-85 in the degrees in the living room and kitchen even when I there to complain about it. When I come back from a week or so at camp and see an alarming amount of firewood gone I know she's kept it even warmer in my absence.

Wow! She must be hot!

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Woodstoves [Re: .204] #8111290
03/30/24 02:17 PM
03/30/24 02:17 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L