ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Groundhog burrow length #8105096
03/21/24 03:00 PM
03/21/24 03:00 PM
Tennessee
T
TNADC Offline OP
trapper
TNADC  Offline OP
trapper
T

Tennessee
I have a groundhog job that I set yesterday. I have found two holes within 15 feet of one another and another hole about 60 feet away. I caught one before I left setting the three holes and another today. Both catches came from the holes that are within 15 feet of one another. One juvenile yesterday and one adult today. Approximately, how far will groundhogs have their holes spaced? Thanks in advance for the help. BTW - Both catches were with Comstocks using a nosecone and the other had a three way splitter.

Re: Groundhog burrow length [Re: TNADC] #8105240
03/21/24 07:08 PM
03/21/24 07:08 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I find most of them are fairly close to each other. The 60 foot away one might be a different burrow system. I’d probably set it just to see if anything came out. Usually I set the most active holes and block the others.

Re: Groundhog burrow length [Re: TNADC] #8105277
03/21/24 08:05 PM
03/21/24 08:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
60 feet seems far but not impossible for the one den.
I blew one up once with gasoline,the ground that caved in was quite telling on how extensive the excavations are including some fairly good sized chambers.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Groundhog burrow length [Re: TNADC] #8105750
03/22/24 12:25 PM
03/22/24 12:25 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
A lot depends on the soil, most I see are between 8-12 ft apart. I did some Groundhog work for the Great Escape, they were paving new walkways that were over sand, as fast as they paved, the shallow tunnels would cave in with the weight of the small roller. those were the longest tunnels I've seen between holes.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread