No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Wisconsin river. #8103503
03/19/24 03:19 PM
03/19/24 03:19 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline OP
trapper
Guss  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I was going to run a trap line on the river banks but that all changed when I called a DRN warden. In Wisconsin the river or mud banks 6 feet belongs to the owner so if I wanna still trap there I have to ask for permission. In other States the rivers are open to the public and the reason I don't want to ask for permission is when a person fishes there he doesn't have to ask for permission only if you wanna trap there.

Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103519
03/19/24 03:58 PM
03/19/24 03:58 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
where on the WI?

lots of it's owner is Army corps of Engineers or WI DNR or state natural area south of Prairie Du Sac and some north of portage

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103522
03/19/24 04:01 PM
03/19/24 04:01 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Guss
I was going to run a trap line on the river banks but that all changed when I called a DRN warden. In Wisconsin the river or mud banks 6 feet belongs to the owner so if I wanna still trap there I have to ask for permission. In other States the rivers are open to the public and the reason I don't want to ask for permission is when a person fishes there he doesn't have to ask for permission only if you wanna trap there.

there is a double standard for everything trapping in WI

you have to ask where no one else does.

you could anchor up in 2 feet of water and live there 23 hours at a time
you can use those power pole anchors which is driving a stake into the bottom to keep you boat stationary

you could stand in waders just off shore

the point is you have to ask for ROW and you have to ask on water and river and lake bottoms in WI.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103541
03/19/24 04:24 PM
03/19/24 04:24 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Well I must have been In violation all those years I trapped On the WI river since I never asked any one. I trapped from Mazo to Spring green.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103567
03/19/24 05:04 PM
03/19/24 05:04 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
I know my opinion is probably in the minority but I do understand the permissions to trap on lake and river shores. If I saved all my life and finally bought 5 acres of lake shore somewhere I wouldn't want everyone thinking they can trap my piece of heaven. Beaver traps on drowners on my beach with my dogs, I wouldn't want to be the guy who comes to check after an accident. It's private land and yes I get fishermen can fish all day and if they cast a hook into my dog they'll get the same reaction from me. Trapping is very different from fishing, it dosen't seem like a big deal to ask permission, yeah you might need to ask many people but if you scout preseason and locate sign ypu only need permission to set sign not every foot of the bank. Not sure why so many have an issue with this law. Under ice swing sets and snares don't need to be staked to the bottom so it can be done. Just use common sense when thinking about these trapping laws. Most are written cause some uneducated trapper did something foolish, most of our dumber regulations are written because someone said its not illegal so I'm going to do it and to heck with everyone else.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8103568
03/19/24 05:06 PM
03/19/24 05:06 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline OP
trapper
Guss  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
where on the WI?

lots of it's owner is Army corps of Engineers or WI DNR or state natural area south of Prairie Du Sac and some north of portage

Merrill.

Last edited by Guss; 03/19/24 05:11 PM.
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103578
03/19/24 05:22 PM
03/19/24 05:22 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Guss
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
where on the WI?

Merrill.
try a trial subscription to onX
see if you can identify every possible parcel you can that is public and not well marked.

Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103612
03/19/24 06:06 PM
03/19/24 06:06 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline OP
trapper
Guss  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
The warden also told me the law not for the whole river. And I don't need to ask permission on State land and there a place that has has river land.

Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103629
03/19/24 06:34 PM
03/19/24 06:34 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Trap Setter, there was an incident similar to what you described with the "beach" in the national forest within the last week or so. That's all I'll say about that.

It has always been my understanding that lake beds are owned by the state, so you can legally set a trap in a lake bed during an open season. River beds are owned by the riparian owner. So those require landowner permission unless the riparian owner is the state or county or other public entity.

Biggest problem I ran into trapping rivers was changing water levels. Could make a legal set in the morning and a gate gets opened up downstream and by noon you're high and dry and illegal.

Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103736
03/19/24 08:29 PM
03/19/24 08:29 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Don't know laws of Wisconsin so follow advice of others above.
Just a note of PA. Waterways are open to trapping in that it goes by the high water line rule, even if property is posted. You usually need a boat in such cases

Till that day.....
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Trap Setter] #8103742
03/19/24 08:35 PM
03/19/24 08:35 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
I know my opinion is probably in the minority but I do understand the permissions to trap on lake and river shores. If I saved all my life and finally bought 5 acres of lake shore somewhere I wouldn't want everyone thinking they can trap my piece of heaven. Beaver traps on drowners on my beach with my dogs, I wouldn't want to be the guy who comes to check after an accident. It's private land and yes I get fishermen can fish all day and if they cast a hook into my dog they'll get the same reaction from me. Trapping is very different from fishing, it dosen't seem like a big deal to ask permission, yeah you might need to ask many people but if you scout preseason and locate sign ypu only need permission to set sign not every foot of the bank. Not sure why so many have an issue with this law. Under ice swing sets and snares don't need to be staked to the bottom so it can be done. Just use common sense when thinking about these trapping laws. Most are written cause some uneducated trapper did something foolish, most of our dumber regulations are written because someone said its not illegal so I'm going to do it and to heck with everyone else.

X2....Im with you

Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103756
03/19/24 08:52 PM
03/19/24 08:52 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
The united states supreme court has already ruled that public land extends to the ordinary high water mark on navigable rivers. It's up to your state trapper's org to force your state to recognize federal law.

Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103773
03/19/24 09:01 PM
03/19/24 09:01 PM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I wouldnt feel right trapping on someones shoreline without permission no matter what the law says. Wouldn't want someone do it to me so I wouldn't do it to them.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Wisconsin river. [Re: Guss] #8103804
03/19/24 09:30 PM
03/19/24 09:30 PM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
There are many laws that address trespass. The DNR does not enforce trespass law, the county sheriff and/or local law enforcement agency has that responsibility. I would contact them to gether a clear understanding of area trespass laws.

As trappers, we all need to be smart about what and where we trap and in many cases, that means walking away from a location. If you are interested in trapping on private lands, put in the work to gather permissions and listen to the land owner for conditions and/or objections. It doesn't involve that much time and generally you can gather many referrals with a little shoe leather. The worst that can happen, the landowner does say a positive 'NO'. In which case, be courteous, polite, and thank them for their time. Remember, first impressions are what we are judged on most often.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread