No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Slick Pan] #8103630
03/19/24 06:36 PM
03/19/24 06:36 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
"I wonder how many sales you have put on?"

I been involved in Fur Sales since I was 12 and I will be 69 this year so I think I have more qualification to speak than most of you .I helped put that sale on at 12 years old. I am very aware of what happens at them.
....my apologies...thats a impressive list of credentials you have listed!

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: SundanceMtnMan] #8103634
03/19/24 06:43 PM
03/19/24 06:43 PM
Sultan , Wa
Jakeland Offline
trapper
Jakeland  Offline
trapper

Sultan , Wa
Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I am wondering what you think we do with the money we make? We use it to put on trapping and wolf trapping classes which are required to get a trapping license in Idaho. We donate money to fight the antis lawsuits that are trying to end trapping. We go to fairs and other events promoting trapping. I don't know of any of us that get paid and few even break even. I guess if you don't want to support the trapping associations don't attend the sales and events but don't come crying to us when you lose your opportunity to trap.

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I am wondering what you think we do with the money we make? We use it to put on trapping and wolf trapping classes which are required to get a trapping license in Idaho. We donate money to fight the antis lawsuits that are trying to end trapping. We go to fairs and other events promoting trapping. I don't know of any of us that get paid and few even break even. I guess if you don't want to support the trapping associations don't attend the sales and events but don't come crying to us when you lose your opportunity to trap.

You hit the nail on the head ! For us to run an association (WSTA) it is tough and thankless for the most part AND how is the association fault if you didn’t get top dollar ? The buyers are there but you can’t force them to pay a high price for something that isn’t worth that said price it’s business some years we win some years they win

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Slick Pan] #8103642
03/19/24 06:59 PM
03/19/24 06:59 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
The problems with minimums is they cost money to apply them if you do not sell your fur. Why would you put minimums on an item like beaver if you know from all the past sales there is a strong market ? The problem with Musty's beaver prices if they are as good as he claims is the people who put on the sale did not draw the correct buyers. George bought the furs for less than paid in the past because he knew he less competition.

The "correct" buyers? How do you do that?
An association can set a date and location, then let it be known to all. Hopefully the date works for the "correct" buyers, I guess.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8103676
03/19/24 07:35 PM
03/19/24 07:35 PM
ND
M
MJM Online content
trapper
MJM  Online Content
trapper
M

ND
Slick Pan who are these "correct buyers you speak of that were not at the sale? There were buyers there that have a lot of years buying behind them. I don't see George holding back if the fur was worth $5 more on a sealed bid. There were quite a string of buyers at the sale. You never did say if you were at the sale, are you basing the tempo of the entire sale off Misty's report? What was the sale average on beaver?

Last edited by MJM; 03/19/24 07:52 PM.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8103714
03/19/24 08:09 PM
03/19/24 08:09 PM
Sultan , Wa
Jakeland Offline
trapper
Jakeland  Offline
trapper

Sultan , Wa
I do understand Musty’s frustration he puts up good fur done right then you see fur put up that’s laughable and you get the near same price , it’s frustrating but it’s part of the gamble

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8103903
03/19/24 10:50 PM
03/19/24 10:50 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
I haven't seen any averages yet when I do I will post them.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Dirt] #8103933
03/19/24 11:21 PM
03/19/24 11:21 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Dirt
There are a few beaver trappers in north america that don't consider a strong hatter markdet a strong beaver market.

There is a fairly strong market out there if one can find an honest buyer that is hungry enough to do the work and is willing to pay the price.

How deep it is, is another story.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8103935
03/19/24 11:25 PM
03/19/24 11:25 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Musty
Dissapointing sale.
I only averaged $30/ea for my beaver. Most of them were XL's and the quality was great. Easily the nicest bunch of beaver I've ever caught.

By chance did you weigh your beaver hides before you sold them?

Originally Posted by Jakeland
I do understand Musty’s frustration he puts up good fur done right then you see fur put up that’s laughable and you get the near same price , it’s frustrating but it’s part of the gamble

That a result of a hatter market. Put up becomes less relevant.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104207
03/20/24 10:33 AM
03/20/24 10:33 AM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline
trapper
I

Idaho
I been biting my tongue but can't any longer.
--Greedy associations? We are in the middle of a federal grizzly lawsuit. Even though we are only paying 1/3 of the bill it is still draining our accounts. Fur sale is our biggest fundraiser.
--Too big of egos to merge organizations in Idaho? I personally nominated and encouraged the leaders of the two other Idaho groups to run for ITA director positions. I personally have stood on the platform of merging all groups into one organization since I ran for the President position a decade ago.
--My wife and me were at the St Maries sale from start to finish. I have attended every Upper Snake sale since I became president as well.
--I won't apologize for non residents bringing or shipping fur into our sale. Almost 20% of our membership is out of staters and they have just as much right to come to our sales as anyone else. Just like Idahoans are welcome to go to a out of state sale.
--I'm sorry our March sale was too big. We are looking at solutions on fixing that problem by next year.
--By the way, due to requests from buyers and trappers we will be having a clean up sale on April 27th. Consignment only. Hoping it is a quick 4 hr sale.
--Very proud of our volunteers and so I do get defensive of them.

Rusty

Life member of ITA, NTA, and NRA. President for Idaho Trappers Association.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104221
03/20/24 10:57 AM
03/20/24 10:57 AM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
absolutely! keep doing what your doing rusty.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104248
03/20/24 11:44 AM
03/20/24 11:44 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Rusty,
When I mentioned greedy associations I was referring to the smaller Idaho associations having their own fur sales when they could combine, get better prices and figure out how to split the proceeds accordingly. I was in no way referring to the Glenn's Ferry sale.

"I personally have stood on the platform of merging all groups into one organization since I ran for the President position a decade ago." As it should be.

What happens in Montana as far as laws and regulations are drafted using Idaho's. In Montana the association is not strong enough to stand on it's own. They did nothing that I am aware of when our wolf trapping season was delayed because of the antis going to court using the grizzly bear as a means to stop wolf trapping. The Montana FWP also did nothing to stop that.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8104251
03/20/24 11:55 AM
03/20/24 11:55 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Idahotrapguy
--Greedy associations? We are in the middle of a federal grizzly lawsuit. Even though we are only paying 1/3 of the bill it is still draining our accounts. Fur sale is our biggest fundraiser.
--Too big of egos to merge organizations in Idaho? I personally nominated and encouraged the leaders of the two other Idaho groups to run for ITA director positions. I personally have stood on the platform of merging all groups into one organization since I ran for the President position a decade ago.
--My wife and me were at the St Maries sale from start to finish. I have attended every Upper Snake sale since I became president as well.
--I won't apologize for non residents bringing or shipping fur into our sale. Almost 20% of our membership is out of staters and they have just as much right to come to our sales as anyone else. Just like Idahoans are welcome to go to a out of state sale.
--I'm sorry our March sale was too big. We are looking at solutions on fixing that problem by next year.
--By the way, due to requests from buyers and trappers we will be having a clean up sale on April 27th. Consignment only. Hoping it is a quick 4 hr sale.

Rusty

One question-why as a trapping organization,are you spending time and money on a hunting issue?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104265
03/20/24 12:14 PM
03/20/24 12:14 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
we are all in this together...united we stand divided we fall

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104268
03/20/24 12:21 PM
03/20/24 12:21 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
As a trapper I want my association to protect trapping,not draining the funds for hunting issues.
Hunting orgs have way more money than trapping orgs,and often work against trappers interests.
Hunting lobbys have been responsible for lots of snaring and bodygrip restrictions and limiting trapping seasons in some cases.
Some trapping orgs have been taken over (or attempted to be taken over) by hunters claiming to be trappers.

Last edited by Boco; 03/20/24 12:28 PM.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Boco] #8104301
03/20/24 01:31 PM
03/20/24 01:31 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Idahotrapguy

Rusty

One question-why as a trapping organization,are you spending time and money on a hunting issue?
what hunting issue? Probably an ESA issue?

Who is John Galt?
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Boco] #8104333
03/20/24 02:43 PM
03/20/24 02:43 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
As a trapper I want my association to protect trapping,not draining the funds for hunting issues.
Hunting orgs have way more money than trapping orgs,and often work against trappers interests.
Hunting lobbys have been responsible for lots of snaring and bodygrip restrictions and limiting trapping seasons in some cases.
Some trapping orgs have been taken over (or attempted to be taken over) by hunters claiming to be trappers.

I tend to agree with your statement Boco..^^^^^

In the 1980s I was the only trapper (I was in my late teens...18 or 19, I think) at several state-sponsored meetings coordinated by fox and bcat houndsmen that were attempting to have a limit put on those species for the trapper....so they would have more to run with hounds.

At one of those meetings I thought I was gonna have to fight my way out of there. None of those "hunters" were friends of trapping back then.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 03/20/24 02:45 PM. Reason: More Info

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104338
03/20/24 02:53 PM
03/20/24 02:53 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
the grizzly lawsuit is not about a hunting issue

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104339
03/20/24 02:58 PM
03/20/24 02:58 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
swamp boco is one of the biggest cheerleaders for canadian trap restrictions AITHS he seems to like to be on both sides of the fence...wants all fur certified

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104340
03/20/24 03:02 PM
03/20/24 03:02 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We have less trapping restrictions here then you have by far.thanks to those Standards and our trappers who initiated them.
You poor buggers not only have trapping restrictions you have actual trapping bans.
Time to give your head a good shake.
What is truly laughable is that because you were against certification you killed the goose that laid the golden egg,talk about shooting yourself in the foot,lol.

Last edited by Boco; 03/20/24 03:08 PM.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Boco] #8104344
03/20/24 03:08 PM
03/20/24 03:08 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
We have less trapping restrictions here then you have by far.thanks to those Standards and our trappers who initiated them.
You poor buggers not only have trapping restrictions you have actual trapping bans.
Time to give your head a good shake.
....lol.... more BS

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread